Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

New Star-Alliance Digital Services Platform

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2018, 4:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IC/AMB - Diamond Elite, AC E50K, AA, AM-Onyx, HH-Diamond, BW, Choice - Gold

Will Air Canada and Aeroplan make this service available to members/fliers when it becomes available? (I could not find this on the forum)

Press - Star Alliance - Star Alliance
Old Feb 17, 2018, 4:10 pm

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by MXM135
Will Air Canada and Aeroplan make this service available to members/fliers when it becomes available? (I could not find this on the forum)

Press - Star Alliance - Star Alliance
LOL. As if.

I have something that is just as important/more important than what they describe: how about allowing us to check in when the first leg of an itinerary is operated by a partner? (e.g. LH ticketed on 014 stock).

AC can't even build a website that works well.
Transpacificflyer likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 6:38 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by MXM135
Will Air Canada and Aeroplan make this service available to members/fliers when it becomes available?
If they do, it won't be for a long time and it won't work properly when it is finally available (or possibly ever).
Old Feb 17, 2018, 9:10 pm

Programs: *$ Green
Originally Posted by ridefar
LOL. As if.

I have something that is just as important/more important than what they describe: how about allowing us to check in when the first leg of an itinerary is operated by a partner? (e.g. LH ticketed on 014 stock).

Did you mean LH ticket on 220, or AC ticket on 014?
Old Feb 18, 2018, 8:33 am

Originally Posted by SparseFlyer
Did you mean LH ticket on 220, or AC ticket on 014?
Sorry. I messed that up.

LH operated. AC ticketed. So on a 2 leg itinerary first is LH second is AC. All on AC 014 ticket. It is impossible to check in except in person at airport. As far as I can tell.

Old Feb 18, 2018, 8:55 am

Programs: AC SE*MM
Sorry. I messed that up.

LH operated. AC ticketed. So on a 2 leg itinerary first is LH second is AC. All on AC 014 ticket. It is impossible to check in except in person at airport. As far as I can tell.
You can check in on the LH app on your phone (did this last week).
Old Feb 18, 2018, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by RatherBeInYOW
You can check in on the LH app on your phone (did this last week).
Hmm. That didn’t work for me. I will try again next time. Thanks.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 10:15 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Sorry. I messed that up.

I think I was able to check in for both LH and AC legs on that type of itinerary in the past. Sometimes in the past it worked to check in with LH for the LH leg then check in with AC for the AC leg, specifying the connection point as the departure point. But it has been a while since I tried that.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 10:54 am

Programs: AC 75K
LOL. As if.

Why would you be using the AC website to check in when LH is the operating carrier of the first segment.

Ticketing stock is irrelevant.

Their technology is far from perfect, but don’t blame them for something that isn’t supposed to function that way in the first place.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by ChrisA330

Why would you be using the AC website to check in when LH is the operating carrier of the first segment.

Ticketing stock is irrelevant.

Their technology is far from perfect, but don’t blame them for something that isn’t supposed to function that way in the first place.
Because the LH app doesn't work either (which, if I remember correctly, seemed to fail because they don't get enough pax information from AC)?

Because you can't check in on a UA ticketed codeshare operated by AC with the AC app?

So AC is broken.

But lets take it a step further: stop thinking about how things do work (if they work now) and start thinking about how they should work (if airlines, not just AC, worked better). Start with: I bought a ticket with you, I want to be able to check in with you. That doesn't really seem like a big stretch. Unless if you are an airline, and take the approach that your problems are my problems.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 11:19 am

Programs: AC SE*MM
Because the LH app doesn't work either (which, if I remember correctly, seemed to fail because they don't get enough pax information from AC)?

Because you can't check in on a UA ticketed codeshare operated by AC with the AC app?

So AC is broken.

But lets take it a step further: stop thinking about how things do work (if they work now) and start thinking about how they should work (if airlines, not just AC, worked better). Start with: I bought a ticket with you, I want to be able to check in with you. That doesn't really seem like a big stretch. Unless if you are an airline, and take the approach that your problems are my problems.
I'm not disagreeing with your premise (the AC app should do this).

But I have checked in to UA flights on the UA app on 014 stock and LH flights on the LH app on 014 stock, both within the last 2 months.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by RatherBeInYOW
I'm not disagreeing with your premise (the AC app should do this).

But I have checked in to UA flights on the UA app on 014 stock and LH flights on the LH app on 014 stock, both within the last 2 months.
I have only tried twice with LH flights and the LH app, so probably not a big enough sample size for me to really say what the issue is (it just didn't work!)

On the UA one, I was talking about a UA ticket (016) with AC operating. Neither the UA app nor the AC app would let me check in.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 12:26 pm

Programs: AC 25k, A3 *G, BA, Westjet Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Platinum
Our flight at Christmas was on AC stock, but the first leg was LH. I could check in all the way through from CDG-FRA-YYC both on the LH app and the LH website (I had to get the LH PNR number first because AC's didn't work) but I would not have any control over the seat selection on the AC operated FRA-YYC flight. I waited until the FRA-YYC flight opened, checked in and selected seats. I then went back to the LH app and checked in there and it showed the seat selection from my AC check in. Pain in the butt!
Old Feb 18, 2018, 1:24 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
I have only tried twice with LH flights and the LH app, so probably not a big enough sample size for me to really say what the issue is (it just didn't work!)

On the UA one, I was talking about a UA ticket (016) with AC operating. Neither the UA app nor the AC app would let me check in.
I’m not really sure what you are doing wrong as I’ve done both of these scenarios many, many times without issue.

All I would say is you need to use the record locator of the operating airline you are checking in with. So in your LH example you need to get the LH record locator from AC and then check in with LH. For your UA example, you need to get the AC record locator from UA and then check in with AC.

When AC migrates to Amadeus, they will have the same record locator as LH so it will make that example a bit easier.
jasdou likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 3:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Yes you can. I've done this numerous times.

The last 3 revenue tickets I purchased have been UA ticketed, UA marketed, AC operated. I've successfully checked in twice, through AC, for these.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.