Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: One Way J Redemption from EZE

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question: One Way J Redemption from EZE

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2018, 11:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver
One Way J Redemption from EZE

I am trying to get a one-way redemption for two seats in J from EZE-YYC either on 11th 13th 15th of December. I set an EF alert at the 355 day mark for AC 95 and there has been no availability, (on AC 95) ever. I have also even considered flying out of SCL, and GRU, of course with no availability. I have looked at other options that entail multiple stops through Central America on Copa, a ridiculous routing.
If I look at Premium Economy for AC 95 Aeroplan puts me in Y but according to EF there is availability in class N, on at least one of those days.
My questions are:
  1. As this is a new route (AC 95 only starts this May) EZE-YYZ is it likely that J availability will open later?
  2. Should I book something in Y and then phone in to change when (and if) J seats open up.
  3. If I want to book in Premium Economy would I have to phone in to book that if Aeroplan only offer Y redemptions, despite EF showing availability, is EF availability for Premium Economy in N class, accurate.
Understand, as the end of the year approaches, with nothing booked, it will be quite expensive to actually pay for a one way fare. Thanks for any advice or tips, I never thought I would get no availability looking so far in advance and as the booking window opened.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 1:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
For your third question, it books into N, but it does not require N availability.

The same way that IKK books into I, but can be booked when a flight is I0.

If you can't pull up PY on Aeroplan.com, they're not going to be able to do it over the phone either.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 6:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by canadiancow
For your third question, it books into N, but it does not require N availability.

The same way that IKK books into I, but can be booked when a flight is I0.

If you can't pull up PY on Aeroplan.com, they're not going to be able to do it over the phone either.
Thanks for clearing that up Cow. So then the EF searches for redemption space in N are kind of meaningless?
Old Feb 12, 2018, 9:28 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by DavidYYC
Thanks for clearing that up Cow. So then the EF searches for redemption space in N are kind of meaningless?
Yes.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 9:38 pm
Original Poster

Partly Solved

I thought I would post an update about this problem, and how I partly solved it, and my ongoing concerns about Aeroplan J long-haul redemptions.
My booking is:

EZE-SCL in J on LAM using BA Avios redemption points.
SCL-YYZ (PE)-YYC (J)

The SCL-YYC is a one way Aeroplan J redemption. If something opens up in J between now and departure I can call Aeroplan for the change.

Is there anything to suggest that Aeroplan are getting more stingy with J seat long haul availability? As I said in my original post above I have had an EF alert on all three flights from EZE-YYZ Tues/Thurs/Sat in December right at the 355/6 point, with no availability, at all.

Reading the concerns in this thread. Aeroplan Miles 2020
I wonder if this is a sign of things to come; even scarcer to zero J availability, on many long-haul routes.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 4:52 am

Programs: AC SEMM; AA,DL, Hyatt and Starwood. Ex-status:SQ PPS,CSA,Hilton,AA,UA
I don't know if AC/AE are getting more stingy overall, but worth noting that the YYZ-SCL route is extremely successful for Air Canada overall in premium classes. I used to fly it regularly a few years ago, fortunately with an employer willing to pay for J. It would habitually be C0 and J1 or J2 a week out. On several occasions, it sold out more than a week ahead in (paid) J and I was "confirmed in Y, waitlisted in J", waiting at the gate with 4-5 SEs hoping to upgrade (over whom I'd take precedence since I was waitlisted for paid-J).

This was prior to the introduction of premium economy on that route, or of the separate YYZ-EZE flight, which has all doubtless helped. But I am not at all surprised that Air Canada is as stingy as it possibly can be in premium classes on that specific route, given chances are doubtless still pretty high it can sell out premium cabins for $ without having to heavily discount.

Good luck!
Old Feb 27, 2018, 4:54 am

Programs: AC SEMM; AA,DL, Hyatt and Starwood. Ex-status:SQ PPS,CSA,Hilton,AA,UA
BTW I assume you explored going with UA through HOU? At the time I'm referring to, UA HOU-SCL loads were quite a bit lower in premium class.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.