Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

why was everyone zone 2 (YVZ > YVR AC121)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2018, 9:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: E35K, FPC Platinum

I'm taking this flight today.

The last time I took this flight last week, I was amazed how many zone 2 pax there were! I thought people were lined up in the wrong zone, or one line was spilling over into another (which often happens when people queue up super early). I was in paid PY with zone 2 and this line looked like how the classic zone 4 or zone 5 lines looked. Everyone was indeed zone 2!
This is the first time I saw that. I saw people leave the boarding area (presumably going back to the lounge to wait out the long line).
Any reason for this?

Last edited by YVRYEGYVR; Feb 8, 2018 at 12:57 pm Reason: Correct: This should read YYZ - YVR!
Old Feb 6, 2018, 9:41 am

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
Zone 2: E75K, E50K, E35K, Star Alliance Gold, Premium Economy, Latitude and select TD and CIBC credit card holders

It's always long for widebodies
Old Feb 6, 2018, 9:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: E35K, FPC Platinum
Originally Posted by SKYEG
Zone 2: E75K, E50K, E35K, Star Alliance Gold, Premium Economy, Latitude and select TD and CIBC credit card holders

I can't believe it was as long as I'm describing. I'd guess at least 70-80 pax. I don't want to assume, but I doubted several of them to be those conditions you list.

Will see if its the same today. I'm usually also zone 2 because of a credit card so I'm adding to the length of that line =)
Old Feb 6, 2018, 9:50 am

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
People line up in the wrong boarding zone all the time, but YVR-YYZ-YVR is an elite heavy route. Could have been a mixture of both.

You'd be shocked if you flew UA, it's not uncommon to see 60+ people on the CPU list for every hub-hub flight. Almost everyone has status.
WR Cage likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 9:57 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Bonvoy LTE
People line up in the wrong boarding zone all the time, but YVR-YYZ-YVR is an elite heavy route. Could have been a mixture of both.

You'd be shocked if you flew UA, it's not uncommon to see 60+ people on the CPU list for every hub-hub flight. Almost everyone has status.
On UA, I've seen 80% of the flight on the CPU list and when boarding began, overhead space was full on an A320 by the time Group 1 finished boarding. This was BOS to ORD/IAH.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 12:11 pm

Programs: AC*SE, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
This time of year is also particularly bad since you've got both individuals which had status for 2017 as well as those who have recently earned it for 2018. After March 1st things tend to improve somewhat (although not a huge amount).
Old Feb 6, 2018, 12:54 pm

Programs: AC-E50K, *G, WS-Gold, Nexus, HH-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, Hertz-PC
Why was everyone zone 2 (YVZ > YVR AC121)

Wow, Deer Lake has really grown if they’re flying widebodies out of there now.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 1:38 pm

Programs: Altitude E50K / *G
Originally Posted by TravellingGypsy
Wow, Deer Lake has really grown if they’re flying widebodies out of there now.
I had to look up the airport code Maybe OP can change the title?
Old Feb 6, 2018, 2:47 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by dr_torch
I had to look up the airport code Maybe OP can change the title?
Good idea. In addition to using the right airport code, maybe OP can change "everyone" to "70-80 pax."
canadiancow and 24left like this.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 10:00 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
The real answer is that AC has cheapened Zone 2 boarding by giving it to so many people.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 11:10 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold

:O

I was under the impression Star Gold was zone 1, maybe it used to be before the most recent round of changes? On lots of the signs I see that logo is still present on the zone 1, I've been going zone 1 almost all the time. Don't rat me out!
Old Feb 6, 2018, 11:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by drvannostren
:O

I was under the impression Star Gold was zone 1, maybe it used to be before the most recent round of changes? On lots of the signs I see that logo is still present on the zone 1, I've been going zone 1 almost all the time. Don't rat me out!
*G has never been zone 1.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 11:38 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Thank you for confirming what I thought but hesitated to ask. I have been on the YYZ-YVR -YYZ route about 4X in the past year. On the widebody I saw the SD doing an erratic pattern to visit each pax and it was obvious she was taking the meal orders for the SE100s , who easily made up 30-40% of the cabin. It is more evident on the AB320 equipment as my last flight had maybe 2 non status, 2 crew, 2 E50 and everyone else SE100 or E75. (I saw the tags on the bags).
Old Feb 7, 2018, 8:55 am

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
(I saw the tags on the bags).
It always perplexes me what the advantage - other than egotism - is obtained by displaying cheap plastic status tags. When our packages arrive each year, they're the first things to be scissored and discarded. I saw one guy the other day with four pieces* of carry-on, each with his SE100K tag (some presumably from years past). Perhaps a manifestation of some deep insecurity? My own card is on my airline app, although I'm not sure I've had to display it to anybody.

* yet we wonder how the bins fill up by the end of Zone 2.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 10:47 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
It always perplexes me what the advantage - other than egotism - is obtained by displaying cheap plastic status tags. ... My own card is on my airline app, although I'm not sure I've had to display it to anybody.
I'm also a huge fan of the virtual Altitude card, as discussed 'round here previously. However, a visible "elite-level" luggage tag has allowed me into the priority check-in area at YYZ without having to dig up a boarding pass like those ahead of me. It may also have contributed to gate agents ignoring me while targeting others in the gate area for a visit to the carry-on luggage sizer.

I doubt I'll ever convince the RCHHMP constabulary that such tags are only displayed to stroke the owners' egos, but in my datapoint-of-one, there have been tangible benefits.

Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
I saw one guy the other day with four pieces* of carry-on, each with his SE100K tag (some presumably from years past).
I was under the impression that the SE package contains 4 luggage tags.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.