Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

To Book or not to book advanced seat reservations for a family of 3

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

To Book or not to book advanced seat reservations for a family of 3

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2018, 6:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by svirac
Wow - I had no idea it's now free with children. Haven't traveled transatlantic in a while. When did this change?
April, 2016 as noted here.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 8:09 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by tcook052
April, 2016 as noted here.
Whoa, time flies.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 10:37 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
When it's free like UA/AC, ALWAYS pick the seats.

When it's not free, just think of it as part of the ticket and pay. Because I'd hate for another "should I switch my good seat for a crap seat because someone has a kid" thread.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 8:39 am

Programs: AC, Bonvoy, HH
I booked TATL last summer for a family of four on AC's website. I was not able to select seats without incurring a fee. I called in after the the reservation was made and the agent gave me the seats. I tried changing my seats online a month later and it wanted to charge me the fee, so I had to call in again to move.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by laidback71
I booked TATL last summer for a family of four on AC's website. I was not able to select seats without incurring a fee. I called in after the the reservation was made and the agent gave me the seats. I tried changing my seats online a month later and it wanted to charge me the fee, so I had to call in again to move.
Did you by any chance book four adult seats or when booking did you properly identify the kids as such?
Old Feb 6, 2018, 9:29 am

Programs: AC, Bonvoy, HH
Originally Posted by Stranger
Did you by any chance book four adult seats or when booking did you properly identify the kids as such?
I booked as two adults and two kids. If they are not booked as kids, you don't get the discount. I believe date of birth was included.
Edit: Just looked it up, the kids' tickets were each $170 less than the adult ticket.

Last edited by laidback71; Feb 6, 2018 at 9:37 am
Old Feb 6, 2018, 10:49 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
TIL that not all AC INTL flights have free seat selection. I thought they did, I knew you had to pay for domestic and TB flights, but then I booked a flight last night YYZ-CPH and FRA-YYZ and both came up on a list on the AC site of places you gotta pay for. Bummer. Of course all of this is based on Tango, at least the prices aren't too bad, not that I paid them anyway.

Anyone know why they pick the destinations they do? I don't remember the whole list but it seemed like the TPAC flights are free and that the TATL ones are not.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 11:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, M&M
Thanks everyone for their suggestion. It looks like booking advanced seats is the go-to option.

I also tried a dummy booking and somehow it also wanted me to charge me for the kids seat selection. But I have to say that the booking was made on the European Air Canada site, not the Canadian site. Maybe that has something to do with it?

Would people recommend flying premium economy over economy? The biggest issue is that the seat dividers are non-movable preventing the kid to nap across the seats onto one of the parents laps. (unless people have some tricks?)
Old Feb 7, 2018, 6:51 am

Programs: AC Altitude E%dK
I believe you need to call in for the free kids seat selections - AC's website may not be able to do it. Make the booking, then call AC reservations...or just make the entire booking over the phone. That said, immediately check your confirmed emailed itinerary very carefully if you do it over the phone - agents have a bad habit of mis-hearing things. You only have 24 hours to make free changes if they messed something up.

Premium Economy, as you point out has the non-movable seat dividers which would just get in the way with a little one. For the size of the premium economy seats, I also found the under seat storage limited compared to regular economy. You're also a bit less likely to get 3 seats together (check the seat map before booking). Frankly, even when flying solo, I'll only shell out for premium economy if it's not that much more (the seat reclines a bit further, you get a domestic business class meal and bigger TV screen).

Economy Plus / Preferred seats definitely yes though - the extra money is usually well worth it. The extra space is great for moving around kids things, and it also prevents my son from kicking the seat infront.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 6:55 am

Originally Posted by mashlakito
Thanks everyone for their suggestion. It looks like booking advanced seats is the go-to option.

I also tried a dummy booking and somehow it also wanted me to charge me for the kids seat selection. But I have to say that the booking was made on the European Air Canada site, not the Canadian site. Maybe that has something to do with it?

Would people recommend flying premium economy over economy? The biggest issue is that the seat dividers are non-movable preventing the kid to nap across the seats onto one of the parents laps. (unless people have some tricks?)
My wife has the same issue with the seat dividers in PY

For free seats, I have to call in .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.