Wiki Posts
Search

Tight connection at YYZ - doable?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2018, 2:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Tight connection at YYZ - doable?

I am looking to fly from Ohio to BGI and some of my best options appear to be on AC CMH-YYZ-BGI. It is offering my a 1 hour connection (from express to Rouge) inn YYZ. My question is is this doable and even if it is, is it a good idea? There is only one flight per day YYZ-BGI, so I assume if I miss this connection, I am stuck at least until the next day. The other option is to fly the night before to YYZ and connect the next morning (all on one ticket). My question with this itinerary is how much of a pain is it going to be go through immigration, leave the airport for a hotel, and come back the next morning (I am a US citizen)? Would I have to reclaim any checked luggage or will AC keep that since it is all one ticket? Thanks.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 2:15 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
There is a hotel attached to the YYZ airport, the Sheraton Gateway. You take a small inter-airport monorail to get there. There's also an Alt Hotel accessible through the airport monorail which is a little bit nicer (IMO). Immigration will be breeze unless you have a criminal record that would make you inadmissible to Canada.

Luggage must be claimed and re-checked on overnight connections at YYZ.

Since it is an international flight, flying in the night before shouldn't cost you anything extra as long as the same fare is available on the earlier flight. You can probably use the "multi-city booking" tool on the Air Canada website to price it out (CMH-YYZ on date X, YYZ-BGI date X+1).
Old Jan 22, 2018, 2:17 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
I am looking to fly from Ohio to BGI and some of my best options appear to be on AC CMH-YYZ-BGI. It is offering my a 1 hour connection (from express to Rouge) inn YYZ. My question is is this doable and even if it is, is it a good idea? There is only one flight per day YYZ-BGI, so I assume if I miss this connection, I am stuck at least until the next day. The other option is to fly the night before to YYZ and connect the next morning (all on one ticket). My question with this itinerary is how much of a pain is it going to be go through immigration, leave the airport for a hotel, and come back the next morning (I am a US citizen)? Would I have to reclaim any checked luggage or will AC keep that since it is all one ticket? Thanks.
1 hour is the minimum connection time, so it is legal and doable. My caution would be the fact that CMH-YYZ is operated by Air Georgian, which doesn't always run a great operation. The connection process at YYZ is fairly straightforward.

If you overnight, you'll need to collect bags and re-check them in the next day. Canadian Customs (IME) isn't terrible, although others here have had differing experiences in terms of long lines...but again, it's straightforward.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 2:21 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Also keep in mind that a same day connection on the return isn't possible.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 2:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by ChrisA330
Also keep in mind that a same day connection on the return isn't possible.
Yeah, I know. Probably will fly someone else on the way back.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 2:41 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
One hour is doable. But not suggested specially during winter months. It is also a very long hike from the small plane area thru Canada transfer/immig and then to your flight. Air Georgian flights can be late and they will lose priority compared to larger planes specially during IRROPs.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 3:50 pm

Programs: AC, WN, Nexus
I had an easy CMH-YYZ-YVR connection yesterday, and an hour would have been plenty, but I would avoid planning on a connection that tight. Air Georgian is sometimes flaky, it's a long walk from their transborder gates, and you can even get stuck waiting for the bus that runs from US arrivals to the domestic pier.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.