Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Does anyone know if the Prestige baggage allowance applies?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2018, 7:00 pm
Original Poster

Hi everyone, I have booked a trip to GVA next week, through the AC website:

YOW-YUL AC8986
YUL-GVA AC834
GVA-LHR LX352
LHR-YOW AC889

I know that my baggage allowance for all of the AC metal legs will honour the 2 free bags; my concern is whether I will have to pay for a second bag on the GVA-LHR, given that it is on Swiss metal. When I use the AC calculator, it says I'm fine, but the fine print suggests otherwise. Any insight, FlyerTalk hivemind?
Old Jan 19, 2018, 7:58 pm
formerly BackSlash3

Programs: AC P25, Marriott Gold, IHG Diamond AMB
Most significant carrier

Yes, you’re fine. Assuming that this is all one ticket, it’s the most significent carrier whose baggage policy applies. In this case it’s very clear that AC is the MSC.

Have a a good trip.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 9:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BackSlash3
Yes, you’re fine. Assuming that this is all one ticket, it’s the most significent carrier whose baggage policy applies. In this case it’s very clear that AC is the MSC.

Have a a good trip.
Fantastic! Thanks!
Old Jan 20, 2018, 9:55 am

Programs: *$ Green

Have a a good trip.
Are you sure?

IIRC, I remember a case where someone was told by another airline in an intra Europe connection that the AC baggage rules wouldn't apply, and that the Generous P25 luggage allowance on AC metal is only applicable if you check in with AC.

I think it might even say so in T&C?

Regardless, OP shouldn't expect a walk in the park at check in.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 9:58 am

Programs: *$ Green

Codeshare Flights/Flights with other Airlines

If you purchase travel on a codeshare flight or a flight with another airline, you may be subject to the baggage policy and other rules of the airline operating the first flight in your itinerary. For the specific terms and conditions of any Air Canada codeshare partner or other airline sold on aircanada.com, visit the operating carrier's website directly.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 7:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SparseFlyer

Codeshare Flights/Flights with other Airlines

If you purchase travel on a codeshare flight or a flight with another airline, you may be subject to the baggage policy and other rules of the airline operating the first flight in your itinerary. For the specific terms and conditions of any Air Canada codeshare partner or other airline sold on aircanada.com, visit the operating carrier's website directly.
That is what I was alluding to in my initial post...
Old Jan 21, 2018, 12:44 am

Programs: UA Plat; Marriott Gold; SPG Gold; Hyatt Gold; Hertz Gold
IIRC, MSC doesn’t apply out of Canada.

On the outbound legt will be the first marketing carrier - AC.
On the way back it should be the MSC - again AC.

You’ll be ok.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 2:08 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Originally Posted by silver_halide

IIRC, MSC doesn’t apply out of Canada.

On the outbound legt will be the first marketing carrier - AC.
On the way back it should be the MSC - again AC.

You’ll be ok.
There's an important distinction between ticketed and status allowances here. Certainly, AC's ticketed baggage rules apply: 1x23kg in Y. The P25k allowance is only given when you check the luggage in for an AC-operated flight. So in this case, the second bag will likely cost $, although you can try arguing your case at check in. You will likely fail, but I've prevailed with LH @ DUS before, so you never know.
canadiancow likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.