Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Toiletry bag stolen

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2018, 7:30 pm
Original Poster

Toiletry bag stolen

On Monday morning I sky checked my luggage on a Dash 8-300. When I arrived at my hotel after my luggage was sitting in the back of my rental I noticed the zipper on my suitcase was open. When opens my suitcase I noticed my toiletry bag was missing. Someone must have stolen it when the were loading the sky check bags on to the plane. When I arrived back to my home airport yesterday I went to the lost baggage area and spoke to a rep who opened up a file. I was told I need to write a letter to a P.O. BOX number - is this true? And if so do I have any chance in getting compensation? I think my total cost to replace everything might be around $150.

Thoughts?
Old Jan 17, 2018, 7:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Is it at all possible that the zipper was already open and it fell out?
Old Jan 17, 2018, 7:54 pm

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Originally Posted by canadiancow
​​​​​​Seems like the most likely cause.

1) who would want secondhand toiletry items? Used razors anyone?
2) the timeframe to steal on skycheck is pretty non-existent.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 8:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by canadiancow
for sure it is possible and something I’ve thought about, but I’m 99% sure it was zipped up. I had to pick it up and put it though the X-ray machine so I hoped I would have had seen it then.

Originally Posted by Diabeetus
​​​​​​Seems like the most likely cause.

1) who would want secondhand toiletry items? Used razors anyone?
2) the timeframe to steal on skycheck is pretty non-existent.
we sat on the tarmac for 10 + minutes - lots of time to go though peoples bags.

some people do put valuables in them I.e. jewelry

Last edited by Motoss; Jan 20, 2018 at 8:04 pm
Old Jan 17, 2018, 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by Motoss
some people do put valuables in them I.e. jewelry
Or medcine, drugs, cash.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 6:31 am

Programs: AC*SE MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb

for sure it is possible and something I’ve thought about, but I’m 99% sure it was zipped up. I had to pick it up and put it though the X-ray machine so I would have hopped I would have had seen it then.
Or, did you take it out at security (liquids) and forget to put it back in or close the bag then? I agree with the above folks, theft of a toiletry bag seems unlikely. I've had my bag show up on the luggage rack with zippers open but nothing missing, so it can happen through rough handling as well.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 6:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tax Dude
Or, did you take it out at security (liquids) and forget to put it back in or close the bag then? I agree with the above folks, theft of a toiletry bag seems unlikely. I've had my bag show up on the luggage rack with zippers open but nothing missing, so it can happen through rough handling as well.
I never take it out - so not possible.

My toiletry bag was/is the size of a brick if not bigger, so I doubt it would someone manage to slide out even if the zippers where slightly open.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 7:14 am

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
achems razor
Old Jan 18, 2018, 7:56 am

I use some plastic zipper locks (pick proof seals from Amazon)that serve to 1) hold the zipper shut so it can't accidentally open 2) let me know immediately if my bag has been opened. They are one time use and won't ever really stop someone from entering your bag. However, they will serve the purposes stated above. If my bag has been opened, I'd rather know about it right away and deal with it right then at the airport.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 9:35 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by pt flyer
I use some plastic zipper locks (pick proof seals from Amazon)that serve to 1) hold the zipper shut so it can't accidentally open 2) let me know immediately if my bag has been opened. They are one time use and won't ever really stop someone from entering your bag. However, they will serve the purposes stated above. If my bag has been opened, I'd rather know about it right away and deal with it right then at the airport.
I've considered doing this too, but wonder how you remove the locks when you get to your destination?
Old Jan 18, 2018, 9:57 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by Gig103
I've considered doing this too, but wonder how you remove the locks when you get to your destination?
Just twist them over and over and over.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 12:09 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
My suitcases seem to get opened a high proportion of the times I fly with checked baggage. Despite always using TSA approved padlocks (I may stop bothering) however I've never had that little indicator pop up. I've had the entire padlock disappear at least twice in the last year despite low flying (TATL), I've had it replaced by a different one (like, completely different colour) with the same code (looking at you SFO), I've had "your bag was searched" in some cases, and not in others but it's clearly been gone through.

Given customs have a right to go through your luggage whatever, I'm not too sure knowing it's been gone through helps. It's not like anyone at the airport (especially post flight) is going to be willing to deal with the issue without sending you onto customer care?

Has OP got credit card or similar for insurance? I'd probably try that or travel insurance for $150. Dealing with any airline for stuff lost tends to be terrible though you'd expect better with Sky Check.

In recent trips, I've taken to throwing my wallet into then padlocking my carry-on. And have always done this for sky check (not that I do it often). Easier to sleep as if the entire bag goes missing while on the plane this will be very obvious.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 12:37 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, IHG Diamond, National Exec Elite
My mom has had her bags searched at ORD on her way to YYZ several times. This last time, they inspected a box of gourmet chocolates - so well that three were missing when she finally got to YYC!
Old Jan 18, 2018, 12:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC
On Monday morning I sky checked my luggage on a Dash 8-300. When I arrived at my hotel after my luggage was sitting in the back of my rental I noticed the zipper on my suitcase was open. When opens my suitcase I noticed my toiletry bag was missing. Someone must have stolen it when the were loading the sky check bags on to the plane. When I arrived back to my home airport yesterday I went to the lost baggage area and spoke to a rep who opened up a file. I was told I need to write a letter to a P.O. BOX number - is this true? And if so do I have any chance in getting compensation? I think my total cost to replace everything might be around $150.

Thoughts?
This has happened to my wife once. She keeps expensive makeup in her toiletry bag. We suspect it was stolen, but no proof. We make sure everything is locked now with a TSA approved lock. We're hoping that makes a difference.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 1:35 pm

Programs: AC SE100K/*G, Nexus
Originally Posted by jc94
... I've had the entire padlock disappear at least twice in the last year ...
This happens to me on average 1 in 4 times I fly Canada-USA-Canada. Two other times in the past two years, I have retrieved my luggage and found my lock in place, but open/unlocked. I suspect the TSA pops the lock, checks the case, then returns the lock but doesn't lock it (they probably aren't spinning the tumblers after locking it, so it pops open again with the first jolt). It has gotten to the point where I always pack 2-3 extra locks in my checked bag, so I can replace the missing ones mid-trip if needed. It adds a bit of extra weight, but in a checked bag it's worth it to me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.