Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Aeroplan's Best Kept Secret: award flights into Iqaluit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aeroplan's Best Kept Secret: award flights into Iqaluit

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2018, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
$300 is probably more than the total proportional fuel cost for such a ticket - scam.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 9:08 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Lifetime Plat, (now an AC nobody)
Just saw this thread today.

James, I rate this thread a perfect 10 out 10 for level of detail, creativity, value and usefulness to the FT community.

Definitely worth the read and thanks for sharing your research and insights.

Bravo!
Old Dec 13, 2018, 11:59 am

Programs: Aeroplan, AirMiles
Doing some more research, it appears the fuel surcharges that gave me sticker shock on the redemption attempt for 2019 aren't necessarily newly implemented. Despite perusing this great thread, I didn't understand the $75 surcharge fee is charged per segment rather than per booking. If booking from YUL (or YOW) to Iqaluit (YFB) then onwards to more northern destinations like Pangnirtung (YXP) or Qikiqtarjuaq (YVM) to explore Auyuittuq National Park, it will cost $150 for the northern direction and another $150 for the southern return plus taxes and fees.

Now to source artic camping gear.

Update: confirmation from the Canadian North Customer Agent that the YQ surcharges are coming from aeroplan. So that's now a thing.

Canadian North Customer Care

Thank you for your email.
The $300.00 fuel surcharge is Aeroplan decision and you will need to discuss this with them.

Last edited by Venutian; Dec 14, 2018 at 6:27 am
Old Dec 14, 2018, 2:12 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by Venutian
Update: confirmation from the Canadian North Customer Agent that the YQ surcharges are coming from aeroplan. So that's now a thing.

Canadian North Customer Care

Thank you for your email.
The $300.00 fuel surcharge is Aeroplan decision and you will need to discuss this with them.

Since when does Aeroplan need to buy fuel?
Old Dec 14, 2018, 10:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by heraclitus
Since when does Aeroplan need to buy fuel?
Who first mentioned the word "fuel" in that email thread?

YQ is officially "carrier surcharge" or similar for both Air Canada and Aeroplan.

So if I ran an airline that didn't charge YQ, and I received an email from a passenger stating "I was charged $300 for a fuel surcharge by Aeroplan", my response would be similar. Or more likely, "I have no idea what a fuel surcharge is. Please talk to whoever charged you."
Old Dec 15, 2018, 5:22 am

Programs: Aeroplan, AirMiles
From First Air customer service:

"Good Afternoon ,
Yes, there is a $75 fuel surcharge per flight segment on redemption tickets on First Air .
Air Canada and other airlines also charge similar surcharges on redemption tickets.
Any further information would have to be provided by Aeroplan as it is their program. Kind Regards"

I'm still trying to sort out the YQ situation and I wrote both carriers for clarification since we were told by the Aeroplan rep that both Canadian North and First Air were charging fuel fees in the $300 range for our itinerary now...I'm curious to get more data points from users here. I don't necessarily trust the Aeroplan rep (she told us a bunch of other things that were contradicted by a second rep on a later call....sigh).

The agent also searched for a 2 month period on Canadian North without finding even a single seat (apparently - I don't have EF access so I can't check), and then switched to First Air and found availability on our preferred dates the first time she sent the inquiry request. Then charged $850 for 2 ppl to travel YUL-YFB-YVM when we booked. If Canadian North doesn't charge YQ but First Air does (as per their emails), it would explain why the agent couldn't find a single seat over a 60 day window...people would go for the better value redemption.

Last edited by Venutian; Dec 15, 2018 at 11:55 am
Old Dec 15, 2018, 9:55 am
Original Poster

Sorry to hear about our loss! Canadian North redemptions were wonderful redemptions (while they lasted) since ~$60 in taxes+fees & 15,000 AeroPesos got you roundtrip tickets between YOW and YFB. One thing to look into would be AirMiles, which I suspect may not be as full of BS fees. I would also be equally curious to hear from other FTers how Canadian North/First Air redemptions work to other destinations in their network, in particular flights from YZF to YCB. I doubt I'll be able to enjoy the North for some time due to me being in school overseas, but if I get a chance...

Safe Travels,

James
Old Mar 18, 2019, 6:38 pm

can anyone confirm if their recent bookings have fuel charges? I've been looking to do YOW to YFB for some time now, it would really suck if they are charging extra fees now. Thanks
Old Sep 17, 2019, 6:24 am

Thanks to forum discussions like this and others over the past few years, I had been looking at a Toronto to Iqaluit flight for several years. I wish I had pulled the trigger when there were minimal fees, but I always found it difficult to find availability that worked with my schedule.

With the uncertainty of Aeroplan moving forward, I decided I couldn't wait any longer, and I started trying to find a flight for any time in the next several months. I called in and wasn't able to find anything on Canadian North. There was virtually nothing available for First Air too, but I did find a flight in early December. Considering it’s already mid-September, I still consider myself relatively lucky. The Toronto>Ottawa>Iqaluit roundtrip flight came to 15,000 Aeroplan points each, plus $334.77 in fees.

Here’s the Fees Breakdown (Toronto>Ottawa>Iqaluit Roundtrip):
Canada Domestic/International Air Travel Security Charge:$14.25
Canada Harmonized Sales Tax
:$38.52
Canada Domestic/International Airport Improvement Fee
:$48.00
Carrier Surcharge
:$234.00
Total per passenger
:$334.77

When I looked at my flight dates on other travel sites, it looked like it would cost about $1800 to $2000 for flights alone, so it’s still a substantial amount of savings. It’s a bucket list item for me, as I’ve seen all of the Canadian provinces and just need to see the 3 territories.

In terms of accommodations, I did look into AirBNB, which I’m admittedly not overly familiar with. What I did notice was the substantial price increase when you list 2 guests compared to 1. The price increase made it comparable to the Frobisher Inn at $300+ a night. The AirBNB cancellation policies are much more restrictive than hotels too. The winner for me was Capital Suites at around $250 a night. I’m used to very basic hotel accommodations, so as long as it’s warm, it will be fine.

Overall, I’ve been really frustrated with Aeroplan, with the huge amount of fees often costing nearly as much as booking on a standard travel site. At this point, I’m just trying to use up my 100k points as effectively as possible, while looking to switch to another rewards card. If anyone has any success stories with cheap Aeroplan bookings out of Toronto, please let me know.
nnanlno and Vyvd like this.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 7:14 am

Programs: AC E75 / Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by candianduke
Thanks to forum discussions like this and others over the past few years, I had been looking at a Toronto to Iqaluit flight for several years. I wish I had pulled the trigger when there were minimal fees, but I always found it difficult to find availability that worked with my schedule.

With the uncertainty of Aeroplan moving forward, I decided I couldn't wait any longer, and I started trying to find a flight for any time in the next several months. I called in and wasn't able to find anything on Canadian North. There was virtually nothing available for First Air too, but I did find a flight in early December. Considering it’s already mid-September, I still consider myself relatively lucky. The Toronto>Ottawa>Iqaluit roundtrip flight came to 15,000 Aeroplan points each, plus $334.77 in fees.

Carrier Surcharge
Total per passenger

When I looked at my flight dates on other travel sites, it looked like it would cost about $1800 to $2000 for flights alone, so it’s still a substantial amount of savings. It’s a bucket list item for me, as I’ve seen all of the Canadian provinces and just need to see the 3 territories.

In terms of accommodations, I did look into AirBNB, which I’m admittedly not overly familiar with. What I did notice was the substantial price increase when you list 2 guests compared to 1. The price increase made it comparable to the Frobisher Inn at $300+ a night. The AirBNB cancellation policies are much more restrictive than hotels too. The winner for me was Capital Suites at around $250 a night. I’m used to very basic hotel accommodations, so as long as it’s warm, it will be fine.

Overall, I’ve been really frustrated with Aeroplan, with the huge amount of fees often costing nearly as much as booking on a standard travel site. At this point, I’m just trying to use up my 100k points as effectively as possible, while looking to switch to another rewards card. If anyone has any success stories with cheap Aeroplan bookings out of Toronto, please let me know.
Very disappointed to see that the fees for these rewards have changed significantly. I haven no idea why they would be so high - the carrier surcharge must be charged by both Aeroplan/Air Canada and First Air as it was never that high before and I don't believe is that high within Canada on AC for similar flights.

Either way, have a great trip - you're certainly going to get the northern experience with the time of year you picked with probably 20 hours of darkness and potentially wind/cold/blizzard conditions. Plan to be flexible to go the next day if you can't get out on your date of departure. Of course, be sure to also visit the other three territories, some folks think all are the same which is very untrue. Comparing Iqaluit and Yellowknife would be like comparing St. John's and Regina.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 7:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by YZF_Elite
Of course, be sure to also visit the other three territories, some folks think all are the same which is very untrue. Comparing Iqaluit and Yellowknife would be like comparing St. John's and Regina.
YXY is pretty affordable and convenient to fly to from YVR, too.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 9:10 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Discovery

For around the same price as the Frobisher, look at the Discovery “boutique” hotel - they have excellent food and quieter rooms than the Frob but just a few blocks away. Bring your swimsuit and try out the beautiful aquatic Center!
YZF_Elite likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 9:15 am

Programs: United
Originally Posted by candianduke

Carrier Surcharge
Total per passenger

Sorry if this is a silly question... But I thought this would price at 25k Aeroplan miles? The award chart mentions Nunavut to Ontario at short haul only for direct flights to Ottawa.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 8:22 pm

Just read through this thread and according to Expertflyer, there’s 7 award seats for April 26 (my preferred dates) YEG-YZF. I’d be booking YYZ-YEG-YZF roundtrip and spend maybe 5 days in Yellowknife ideally.

I’m ready to call Aeroplan - just not happy about the new $200-300 in fees...
Old Jan 20, 2020, 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by tajee165
Just read through this thread and according to Expertflyer, there’s 7 award seats for April 26 (my preferred dates) YEG-YZF. I’d be booking YYZ-YEG-YZF roundtrip and spend maybe 5 days in Yellowknife ideally.

I’m ready to call Aeroplan - just not happy about the new $200-300 in fees...
A look at google flights show YEG-YZF roundtrip Apr. 26 - May 1 on Air Canada for $322. Looks like I should book a cash ticket?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.