Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Aeroplan's Best Kept Secret: award flights into Iqaluit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aeroplan's Best Kept Secret: award flights into Iqaluit

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2018, 4:43 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by Speedbird84
I had to let out a sigh when I saw that.

Can't wait for:
  1. the 4 paragraph intro linking back to his discovery of this amazing deal on today's entry
  2. the review of him suffering in economy class for his followers
  3. the disappointment at the lack of amenities wherever he ends up going
  4. and last but definitely not least, the plethora of credit card links to build up your Aeroplan balances!
I can't wait for his review of the dining scene in Pond Inlet. Or when he finds out the only 'hotel' there isn't going to comp his $350/night (per-person, double occupancy) bill for 'exposure'.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by pewpew
Hasn't Canadian km or someone already written about this? I.e. it's not that concerning to see this on the blogs when you consider the number of people who would actually take this trip
Yeah KM wrote about it several years ago now. There's at least one other blogger (I can't recall offhand) who has written about it as well. This blog has a much larger readership. But, again, not sure how many in that crowd want to spend hours and hours on a 737 in economy to go to somewhere that is cold much of the year and, worse, has no 5 star hotels available for points redemption!
Old Jul 24, 2018, 6:07 pm

Programs: AC 35k
That was my take as well. Uh huh, you can go to the Canadian Arctic for 15,000 AP miles. And you want to do that why now?
Old Jul 24, 2018, 6:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TheBOSman
Yeah KM wrote about it several years ago now. There's at least one other blogger (I can't recall offhand) who has written about it as well. This blog has a much larger readership. But, again, not sure how many in that crowd want to spend hours and hours on a 737 in economy to go to somewhere that is cold much of the year and, worse, has no 5 star hotels available for points redemption!
There are ways to counteract the high costs of travelling North such as staying at an AirBnb (I found one for $100/night in Iqaluit) and stocking up on food and liquids at a grocery store or better airside at the Ottawa airport.

Originally Posted by YXUFlyboy
That was my take as well. Uh huh, you can go to the Canadian Arctic for 15,000 AP miles. And you want to do that why now?
Given the current weather in Ontario, I wouldn't mind having a day with -20 Celsius temperatures with a 30 km/h wind...sure feels refreshing!

The main appeals to heading to the North are:
  • Winter Hiking (make sure you get a Sat Transponder and notify the RCMP before disembarking)
  • Experiencing Inuit culture and art such as Igloo building
  • Seeing the Northern Lights
  • Cuisine (Arctic Char & Caribou meat at Granite Room of Discovery Lodge hotel makes it worth the $50+/person you'll spend)
  • Bragging rights... how many Canadians can say they've ventured that far North
Safe. Travels,

​​​​​​​James
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 8:40 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by j2simpso
  • Cuisine (Arctic Char & Caribou meat at Granite Room of Discovery Lodge hotel makes it worth the $50+/person you'll spend)
More like $80, but yes - worth it considering the vegetarian spaghetti is $50
Old Jul 25, 2018, 4:52 am

Programs: Aeroplan, SPG/Marriott, Radisson Rewards
Originally Posted by eigenvector
Or when he finds out the only 'hotel' there isn't going to comp his $350/night (per-person, double occupancy) bill for 'exposure'.
I've heard of this sort of thing on and off, but I'm kind of surprised Lucky is one of Those People.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 8:13 am

As before, you could combine this reward with another flight within North America, allowing you to build a crazy itinerary like this: Toronto to Anchorage, Anchorage to San Francisco, San Francisco to Toronto for 25,000 points + taxes & fees.
Not sure this will work because of Aeroplan's MPM (Maximum Permitted Mileage) to Anchorage or to San Fransisco

see https://dcta.boardingarea.com/2017/1...lan-mpm-trick/

Last edited by emilio911; Jul 25, 2018 at 8:25 am
Old Jul 25, 2018, 8:41 am

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by emilio911
Not sure this will work because of Aeroplan's MPM (Maximum Permitted Mileage) to Anchorage or to San Fransisco

see https://dcta.boardingarea.com/2017/1...lan-mpm-trick/
Actually you can. MPM for YYZ-ANC is 5326, ANC-SFO-YYZ is 4277 miles.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 9:22 am

Originally Posted by ChrisA330
Actually you can. MPM for YYZ-ANC is 5326, ANC-SFO-YYZ is 4277 miles.
Sorry. I didn't remember that the Earth was round.

But is there a direct YYZ-ANC flight?
Old Jul 25, 2018, 9:25 am

Sorry. I didn't remember that the Earth was round.

But is there a direct YYZ-ANC flight?
No non-stop YYZ-ANC, but that's irrelevant.
emilio911 likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 9:27 am

Deleted

Last edited by emilio911; Jul 25, 2018 at 9:30 am Reason: Just realized my mistake
Old Jul 25, 2018, 9:30 am

How come it's irrelevant?

Don't you think YYZ-XXX-ANC will go over the MPM?
No. MPM is 5277 each way. Given you can route ANC-SFO-YYZ, why would the reverse be any different?
Old Jul 25, 2018, 9:31 am

Programs: AC 35k
Given the current weather in Ontario, I wouldn't mind having a day with -20 Celsius temperatures with a 30 km/h wind...sure feels refreshing!
Move to the Prairies - you'll get 6 months of freezing winter and you'll be fine
Old Jul 25, 2018, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by ChrisA330
No. MPM is 5277 each way. Given you can route ANC-SFO-YYZ, why would the reverse be any different?
Yeah, I realized that after writing it
Old Jul 25, 2018, 1:28 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Originally Posted by YXUFlyboy
Much less expensive access to Auyuittuq, Sirmilik, Ukkusiksalik, Torngat for starters.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.