Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

If YXU-YYZ-LHR-LIS AC/AC/TAP flight is cancelled will I be put on another flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

If YXU-YYZ-LHR-LIS AC/AC/TAP flight is cancelled will I be put on another flight?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2018, 8:38 am
Original Poster

Since Dec 29, the flight has been cancelled twice / and delayed 3 times passed 1hr. Flying business.

My question is if my flight is cancelled e.g. YXU-YYZ-LHR-LIS AC/AC/TAP

Will they put me up on another flight e.g. TAP direct flight next day or fly me on the same route next day? Will I have to fly out that night from YXU-YYZ if flight actually delayed 1hr 30mins since Ill miss the connection?

Sorry totally new in all this.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 9:28 am

Programs: Aeroplan (Silver), Air Miles, IHG Rewards (Platinum)
If your flight is cancelled you can usually get rebooked to your final destination on the first available flight/route. It depends on the carrier, fare rules, tariffs, etc..

So, YXU-YYZ-LHR-LIS, can end up being YXU-YYZ-LIS or YXU-YYZ-EWR-LIS or YXU-YYZ-YUL-LHR-LIS or YXU-YYZ-endless possibilities-LIS.

The key is 'availability'. Sometimes it is the next hour, sometimes it can be days (depending on the destination).

If you are worried about the YXU-YYZ flight, see if there is a waiver during significant events (like now they have one for YYZ). This allows you to get on an earlier YXU-YYZ flight without fee (again, subject to availability). This could be the key to avoiding any misconnection issue.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 10:49 am

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
The key is to be proactive- research and know your options in the event that things go sideways. Its always much better to present AC with a viable option that suits you, rather than wait for them to come up with all the options that suit them.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 11:27 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
The key, in my opinion is to look up alternatives yourself and see which they will offer.
Say you are trying to do YXU to LIS and don't care about the other cities you might see AC selling J YXU YUL and then YUL XXX LIS. If you have these options available they are more likely to be helpful.

Certainly in my experiences not having options has lead to some strange suggestions from AC.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 11:33 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Originally Posted by jc94
The key, in my opinion is to look up alternatives yourself and see which they will offer.
Say you are trying to do YXU to LIS and don't care about the other cities you might see AC selling J YXU YUL and then YUL XXX LIS. If you have these options available they are more likely to be helpful.

Certainly in my experiences not having options has lead to some strange suggestions from AC.
i remember when the first leg of YOW-YYZ-PHL was canceled, the automated rebooking tool offered me YOW-YYT-YYZ-PHL
Old Jan 4, 2018, 2:39 pm
SYM

Programs: AC SEMM
How important is on time arrival to you? YXU-YYZ is almost certainly the weakest link. If it is worth $300 then consider taking a cab to Pearson; if it is worth $100 then Robert Q or the train
Old Jan 4, 2018, 6:05 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all your replies. really new at this. again the flight is cancelled for tomorrow (Again) so I am holding my breath for this upcoming trip.

As far as importance I leave on the 9th ... need to be in LIS for the 14 so I have a 5 day wiggle room (Headed over to South Africa).

Kinda hope it gets cancelled and be rebooked as I have a 8 hour layover in LHR, cancellation might shorten that layover for the 1.5 connection time with TAP earlier flight.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by Pilotbg
Thanks for all your replies. really new at this. again the flight is cancelled for tomorrow (Again) so I am holding my breath for this upcoming trip.

As far as importance I leave on the 9th ... need to be in LIS for the 14 so I have a 5 day wiggle room (Headed over to South Africa).

Kinda hope it gets cancelled and be rebooked as I have a 8 hour layover in LHR, cancellation might shorten that layover for the 1.5 connection time with TAP earlier flight.
You shouldn't have a problem with 5 days of wiggle room. You could get delayed ~24 hours if you are unlucky, but not 5 days for a transatlantic trip. There are lots of ways to get to LIS. Also, business class is rarely sold out, so there are more options to reroute you if necessary.

As others have mentioned, if something happens it pays to already know how you would like to be rebooked before talking to AC. They generally try to be accommodating as long as there is space available. If it looks like YXU-YYZ will be a problem (like today or tomorrow -- AC has issued a travel advisory), be proactive and rebook yourself on an earlier YXU-YYZ flight. Smaller planes always get delayed/cancelled first.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 7:42 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by Pilotbg

Key think to realise is if it is on the same ticket you purchased a ticket from where you start (YXU) to your final destination (LIS). If the airline can't make it work with the original ticketed routing you end up in an IROP situation, and that pretty much opens up any empty seats on any flight (at the airlines cost not your cost). AC will try as much a possible to keep you on the original airlines your were ticketed on, if that does not work, they will try to put you on an alliance partner (both AC and TP are in the same alliance as well as Lufthansa or United). Then they will look at interline partners (e.g. AF, BA, etc.).
Old Jan 5, 2018, 5:53 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
On the day of travel, if your flight is canceled you can always take the train to Toronto (at AC's expense) and have AC rebook you from YYZ. Once you are in Toronto there's many options for getting to Lisbon with numerous daily flights to LHR, FRA, MUC, ZRH, etc. not to mention direct YYZ LIS. I would say first rebook to an earlier flight out of London to give yourself more time, and if it gets canceled hop on the train.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.