FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   The Forum Lounge Thread (2018) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1885419-forum-lounge-thread-2018-a.html)

longtimeflyin Aug 31, 2018 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by quantumofforce (Post 30153128)
I see Singapore repeatedly mention on this topic. I would walk around with my kids, and no ID all the time in Singapore. No idea what you guys are talking about. I had many trips there, lived there a few years too.

Just because you aren't aware of the local legislation and haven't been burned as a result doesn't mean you shouldn't be aware of them. Singapore is a pretty regulated place to be around, especially as a visitor. I would suggest to brush up on local laws.

---

On a separate note:

I really enjoyed this video.

Does anyone know what aircraft the copilot was flying?

canadiancow Aug 31, 2018 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by longtimeflyin (Post 30154171)
Just because you aren't aware of the local legislation and haven't been burned as a result doesn't mean you shouldn't be aware of them. Singapore is a pretty regulated place to be around, especially as a visitor. I would suggest to brush up on local laws.

​​​​​​Better yet, all the visitors are telling the resident about the laws.

eigenvector Aug 31, 2018 10:04 pm

As a general rule without saying anything about SG, in many countries there are the rules on paper and the real rules. Locals know which laws are actually enforced and which ones you have to ignore to get anything done.

This can be as simple as the fact that nobody actually drives 99 km/h on the 401 despite there being a multitude of signs that say precisely to not go over that speed.

canadiancow Sep 1, 2018 12:52 am

Somehow, while attempting to put an ice cube in my glass, I broke the glass.

I now have three of my four important extremities wrapped in some form of medical dressing.

smallmj Sep 1, 2018 4:41 am

Originally Posted by canadiancow (Post 30154669)

I now have three of my four important extremities wrapped in some form of medical dressing.

Is it time to bubble wrap our favourite cow? You're having an injury filled summer. Hope you heal quickly.

smallmj Sep 1, 2018 4:43 am

Originally Posted by yyznomad (Post 30154125)
So long, The Bringer of Rain. Thanks for the memories.

Agreed. His time with the Jays was fantastic. Hope the player to be named later has some sort of value to the team.

canopus27 Sep 1, 2018 6:39 am

Originally Posted by longtimeflyin (Post 30154171)
I really enjoyed this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EihoS69eMmM

Does anyone know what aircraft the copilot was flying?

The end of the video (which was not bad, although I thought the music was overly dramatic) seems to imply it's a CRJ. The windshield angle also appears to be quite angled, which is consistent with a CRJ.

RangerNS Sep 1, 2018 6:49 am

Originally Posted by canadiancow (Post 30154669)

Well, I know it's going to sound like I'm telling you that two plus two equals a bushel of potatoes, but at this moment, in your head, music is the same thing as sirens.

What did the border guards do to you?

jc94 Sep 1, 2018 7:00 am

Originally Posted by smallmj (Post 30155024)
Is it time to bubble wrap our favourite cow? You're having an injury filled summer. Hope you heal quickly.

It sounds like 3/4 of the cow is already now wrapped. I remember one of the worst cuts I got on my hand was ... screwing in a lightbulb! Heal soon.

Originally Posted by smallmj (Post 30155031)
Agreed. His time with the Jays was fantastic. Hope the player to be named later has some sort of value to the team.

Ah Donaldson. I didn’t pick up on the bringer of rain lol.

24left Sep 1, 2018 8:00 am

Awesome evening here in Shanghai. Really enjoying my first visit. :cool:

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...4b65e2cb1e.jpg

canadiancow Sep 1, 2018 12:54 pm

I just realized that for the second time (over a 9 year period), I'm going to miss Canadian Thanksgiving due to a conference in Europe.

smallmj Sep 1, 2018 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow (Post 30156295)
I just realized that for the second time (over a 9 year period), I'm going to miss Canadian Thanksgiving due to a conference in Europe.

You'll be in Amsterdam, right? You could really mess with some heads over there if you start singing the "Dutch Hymn of Thanksgiving." The English version (We Gather Together to ask the Lord's Blessing) is often sung at Thanksgiving here in North America. However, the Dutch version is all about celebrating a victory over the Spanish at the Battle of Turnhout.

Incidentally, the later verses of the Dutch National Anthem have references to war with Spain as well.

yyznomad Sep 2, 2018 7:56 am

Originally Posted by smallmj (Post 30155031)

Yep.

Although the current management left a legitimate legacy in that of the current strong Indians team, I think they've botched it a bit here... IMHO.

smallmj Sep 2, 2018 12:59 pm

Nice to see Sean Reid-Foley doing well on the mound for the Jays so far today. He's allowed 1 run through 5 innings so far.

yyznomad Sep 2, 2018 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by smallmj (Post 30159092)
Nice to see Sean Reid-Foley doing well on the mound for the Jays so far today. He's allowed 1 run through 5 innings so far.

Now 7th... so far so good... hopefully no jinxing here. :p