Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada excess baggage insurance

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2017, 6:42 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AC

Does Air Canada allow a passenger to pay an additional sum of money to get baggage insured at time of check in on top of what one is entitled to under the Montreal Convention? (I believe that is the legislation that covers international flights?)

Several airlines offer this but I don't seem to be able to find anything specific to Air Canada.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 7:04 pm

I have never been offered that option, if it were available I would assume they would've tried the upsell on me. Just purchase travel insurance or you may already have coverage under your credit card or employer group insurance.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 7:06 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by B407
I have never been offered that option, if it were available I would assume they would've tried the upsell on me. Just purchase travel insurance or you may already have coverage under your credit card or employer group insurance.
The reason I ask is that certain credit cards will cover baggage fees and if these insurance costs are classified as baggage fees then this is a win for me and my son.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 8:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Yes, all IATA carriers offer it. But, it is generally extremely expensive and went out of favor back in the 1980's when many CC's started providing baggage insurance and people who travel frequently, check bags, and have valuables purchased annual policies which are ordinarily quite cheap. It isn't a bag fee and the receipt you receive from the carrier, AC in this case, will specify what it is for.
longtimeflyin likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 5:34 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
Yes, all IATA carriers offer it. But, it is generally extremely expensive and went out of favor back in the 1980's when many CC's started providing baggage insurance and people who travel frequently, check bags, and have valuables purchased annual policies which are ordinarily quite cheap. It isn't a bag fee and the receipt you receive from the carrier, AC in this case, will specify what it is for.
Thanks.

The reason why I'm interested in this is because several insurance policies only cover up to $500 per person, or $1000 between the person and their spouse. This will not be sufficient to cover me/us and thus need to buy insurance on top of insurance. I guess one could buy several insurance policies but the prices that other carriers have given is actually really affordable (presumably because no one really buys this).

I figure since Air Canada and other carriers are now ancillary revenue driven that they would push this one down our throats. I will inquire on my next AC flight.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 5:56 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
I seem to recall being offered a variety of insurance from medical to baggage offers when purchasing a fare on AC.com. But I can't recall this happening since... 2014?
Old Dec 8, 2017, 6:04 am

Programs: Enough
The Air Canada International Tariff at p. 59 covers Excess Value Charges for baggage valued above 1,131 SDR:

[...] For itineraries subject to the Montreal Convention, a passenger may declare a value for baggage in excess of 1,131 Special Drawing Rights per passenger. When such a declaration is made a charge for excess value will be assessed by each carrier participating in the carriage at the rate of $0.50 for each $100 or fraction thereof.
All international carriage from Canada will be subject to the Montreal Convention.

My understanding is that the declaration would be made at the check-in counter at the airport. I would leave plenty of time to do this - I doubt most agents are aware how to process Excess Value Charges, and would likely need to contact support.
longtimeflyin likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 6:53 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by durberville
The Air Canada International Tariff at p. 59 covers Excess Value Charges for baggage valued above 1,131 SDR:

All international carriage from Canada will be subject to the Montreal Convention.

My understanding is that the declaration would be made at the check-in counter at the airport. I would leave plenty of time to do this - I doubt most agents are aware how to process Excess Value Charges, and would likely need to contact support.

Thanks. Quickly looking up the Montreal convention here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montreal_Convention

A whole host of countries is listed at the bottom of the Wiki page. I assume that flights leaving all of those countries listed, provided they are Air Canada flights, the Montreal system would apply and thus the applicable baggage limit $ that AC may pay out is as discussed?

Namely, per AC's tariff:

Where the Montreal Convention applies, the limits of liability are as follows:
a) There are no financial limits in respect of death or bodily injury.
b) In respect of destruction, loss of, or damage or delay to baggage, 1,131 special drawing rights (approximately EUR 1,357; U.S. $1,663) per passenger in most cases.
c) For damage occasioned by delay to your journey, 4,694 special drawing rights (approximately EUR 5,655; U.S. $6,786) per passenger in most cases.
Old Jan 9, 2024, 11:29 am
Suspended

Has anyone any current experience with an Excess Value declaration at check-in (SE Desk) for an upcoming international flight with a codeshare leg (AC-LH YYC-YUL-FRA-VCE)?

Unfortunately, have permanent childhood injury that requires custom shoe fitting, including ski boots which I recently got new that alone cost more than the SDR 1,288 permitted per passenger for checked baggage. And this doesn't include the rest of my ski gear and formal attire for an event in Venice for Carnevale.

And if I read this part of the Int'l Tarriff correctly, do I need to pay LH seperately, and where do I do this, in FRA?

When such a declaration is made a charge for excess value will be assessed by each carrier participating in the carriage at the rate of $0.50 for each $100 or fraction thereof.

Before I call the Concierge, possibly the collective wisdom here can direct me to what questions best to ask.

Thank you.
Old Jan 9, 2024, 1:34 pm

Programs: AC SE 100K MM; Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by Lloydbraun1976
Has anyone any current experience with an Excess Value declaration at check-in (SE Desk) for an upcoming international flight with a codeshare leg (AC-LH YYC-YUL-FRA-VCE)?

Unfortunately, have permanent childhood injury that requires custom shoe fitting, including ski boots which I recently got new that alone cost more than the SDR 1,288 permitted per passenger for checked baggage. And this doesn't include the rest of my ski gear and formal attire for an event in Venice for Carnevale.

And if I read this part of the Int'l Tarriff correctly, do I need to pay LH seperately, and where do I do this, in FRA?

When such a declaration is made a charge for excess value will be assessed by each carrier participating in the carriage at the rate of $0.50 for each $100 or fraction thereof.

Before I call the Concierge, possibly the collective wisdom here can direct me to what questions best to ask.

Thank you.
No completely sure what your question is here.

Do you not have lost baggage coverage through your Credit Card?

You've not shared the total value of all of your accompaniments so not sure how material the $.50 per $100 is should you elect to go that route.

Not really sure how the Concierge is going to help with this matter.
Old Jan 9, 2024, 2:02 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by billdokes
No completely sure what your question is here.

Do you not have lost baggage coverage through your Credit Card?

You've not shared the total value of all of your accompaniments so not sure how material the $.50 per $100 is should you elect to go that route.

Not really sure how the Concierge is going to help with this matter.
??? I'm asking those who have made this kind of request of AC what was their experience, so if you can enlighten with your actual experience please do so?

Credit card only covers $500 which is only about 20% of the SDR per passenger.

And my request above is clear if my bags go lost that will contain custom made footwear for my disability, will well exceed the SDR, likely 2 - 2.5x range so excess value insurance necessary.

I aslo asked about codeshare treatment, but now I am repeating myself so I won't elaborate further.

And with regards to the Concierge, who else should I ask as my experience with reservations is relatively poor with any kind of specialized request, whereas the Concierge will follow-up and call me back when they get an answer.

Thank you.
Old Jan 9, 2024, 4:45 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM

I don't know the answer to your question, but I will point out that ski boots and other gear (minus skis and poles, obviously) can be put into a boot bag that can be carried on with AC. I've done it many times. My boots are also custom molded and I wouldn't trust an airline with them either.
Old Jan 9, 2024, 5:17 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by RatherBeInYOW
I don't know the answer to your question, but I will point out that ski boots and other gear (minus skis and poles, obviously) can be put into a boot bag that can be carried on with AC. I've done it many times. My boots are also custom molded and I wouldn't trust an airline with them either.
I was thinking of replacement cost as they are nearly new, but yes you are right as arriving in the Dolmites for a week without my boots rather insurmountable problem. Everything else can be rented or purchased in real-time, and the supplier doesn't have location in Italy, only in Switzerland, Norway, and of all places London.

Travel in J on AC, but now I need to find out whether LH will allow me two large carry-ons as other will be my laptop that too cannot go in the hold.

Thanks, most useful.
Old Jan 9, 2024, 10:20 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
I was thinking of replacement cost as they are nearly new, but yes you are right as arriving in the Dolmites for a week without my boots rather insurmountable problem. Everything else can be rented or purchased in real-time, and the supplier doesn't have location in Italy, only in Switzerland, Norway, and of all places London.

Travel in J on AC, but now I need to find out whether LH will allow me two large carry-ons as other will be my laptop that too cannot go in the hold.

Thanks, most useful.
LH actually does allow 2 carry on bags in J as part of their published allowance.
Lloydbraun1976 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.