Search

Is this sign of an equipment swap?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2017, 1:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Is this sign of an equipment swap?

Hi,

I have an upcoming flight to TPE from YVR and noticed something strange.
So yesterday, I look at PE availability at it was O6 E5 N0 with 6 seats available on the seat map. Today I look at availability again and it is O9 E9 N8 with the exact same only 6 seats available. (No seats are blocked btw) I know they oversell flights but they wouldn't oversell in N over even E. J is J3 C3 D3 Z0 P0 if that's relevant. (And I know not to trust seat maps for availability but that's usually valid for the other way around where empty seats could just not be assigned yet)

Is this sign of an equipment swap to larger 77W? (in-lieu of 789)

Asking because I wanted to bid for PE and J (although the latter probably won't fly with J3) but with availability jumping, I am not sure of the price to bid.

Any enlightenment on the situation is welcome ^
Old Dec 2, 2017, 1:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Mict
Hi,

I have an upcoming flight to TPE from YVR and noticed something strange.
So yesterday, I look at PE availability at it was O6 E5 N0 with 6 seats available on the seat map. Today I look at availability again and it is O9 E9 N8 with the exact same only 6 seats available. (No seats are blocked btw) I know they oversell flights but they wouldn't oversell in N over even E. J is J3 C3 D3 Z0 P0 if that's relevant. (And I know not to trust seat maps for availability but that's usually valid for the other way around where empty seats could just not be assigned yet)

Is this sign of an equipment swap to larger 77W? (in-lieu of 789)

Asking because I wanted to bid for PE and J (although the latter probably won't fly with J3) but with availability jumping, I am not sure of the price to bid.

Any enlightenment on the situation is welcome ^
you said you saw the seat maps... isn't a 777 2x4x2 and a 789 2x3x2 in PE?
Old Dec 2, 2017, 1:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yyznomad
you said you saw the seat maps... isn't a 777 2x4x2 and a 789 2x3x2 in PE?
Yes thank you if the seat map was up to date, I wouldn't ask here, I can count seats.
But from my experience (with TK at least), the equipment swap is not reflected right away in the system and as of now it still shows a 787.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 2:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Yes thank you if the seat map was up to date, I wouldn't ask here, I can count seats.
But from my experience (with TK at least), the equipment swap is not reflected right away in the system and as of now it still shows a 787.
right ok, I see what you mean.

sometimes adjustments leading up to the flight could mean RM deciding to over/sell more... I am curious to know how J and Y behaved as well as part of your delta observation...
Old Dec 2, 2017, 2:11 am
Original Poster

J did not move at all (availability did not move but seat map changed from 4 to 3 available seats) and Y not sure since it's 9+ atm Y9 B9 M9 U9 H9 Q9 V9 W9 G9 S6 T0 L0 A0 K0 (but I don't expect it to be very high above 9 since the seat map is pretty full and flights the days around mine are packed).
Flight is in 20 days btw.

If they swap to 77W I will have to go out of my way to avoid the back of the can.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 2:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

J did not move at all (availability did not move but seat map changed from 4 to 3 available seats) and Y not sure since it's 9+ atm Y9 B9 M9 U9 H9 Q9 V9 W9 G9 S6 T0 L0 A0 K0 (but I don't expect it to be very high above 9 since the seat map is pretty full and flights the days around mine are packed).
Flight is in 20 days btw.

If they swap to 77W I will have to go out of my way to avoid the back of the can.
Honestly, IMHO there isn't enough, at this juncture and with limited info, to tell if there was a swap. Maybe the inventory increase was due to canceled tickets that never had an assigned seat in the first place. Or RM just decided to sell more. The difference between the two cabins is only three more seats on the 777 so a jump of 8 in N inventory doesn't tell me that it's necessarily a swap. Just my 2c.

As time gets closer, if there was a swap, you'll see it show up on the various websites.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 2:19 am
Original Poster

Yea thanks! Knew my question was a long shot but maybe someone here experienced this and it never hurts to ask right? ^
Old Dec 2, 2017, 2:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yea thanks! Knew my question was a long shot but maybe someone here experienced this and it never hurts to ask right? ^
Of course it never hurts. I could also be wrong.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 12:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I know they oversell flights but they wouldn't oversell in N over even E.

Sure they would. My favorite example of this was a United flight (I believe SFO-TPE) that was F6 J6. There were 6 empties in F, and J was completely full (and I'm not talking about the seat map). They were willing to oversell low J fare classes, knowing there would be opups to F.

Also, if you give us the date/flight, we might be able to provide more information.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 4:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by canadiancow

Sure they would. My favorite example of this was a United flight (I believe SFO-TPE) that was F6 J6. There were 6 empties in F, and J was completely full (and I'm not talking about the seat map). They were willing to oversell low J fare classes, knowing there would be opups to F.

Also, if you give us the date/flight, we might be able to provide more information.
Yes but I think they would do that on a date close to the flight. If there are 3J and 6PE available, I don't see why AC would fill 8 of those seats for cheap $1000 N fares 3 weeks out. If I buy all those today, they loose the opportunity to make more revenue with higher fare buckets for 3 weeks.
Anyway my flight is on 12/22.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.