Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question: Altitude 25K vs 35K

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2017, 9:07 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by YEGcg
Extra benefits are checked baggage, priority security and boarding, lounge access, and 10 e-ups.

If she’s flying for work, her work should pay for the baggage. Also, if she’s flying for work (during office hours), ability to use e-ups will be low. If she has Nexus, then priority security is taken care of.

That leaves boarding and lounge.

Boarding really only matters if a carry-on is in play. If she’s traveling for work, at 34,000 AQM / $10k AQD, she’s probably on Flex or higher and a second bag at P25K can be checked. Traveling at those levels likely means there’s no need to minimize baggage carousel waiting time (whether it’s one or two bags).

Lounge access, with the discount, is about $300. So, this should be the determining factor. If she can get 1000 AQM for $300 — not likely to find a round trip YYCYVR for that — she’s on par with buying lounge access, but gets all of those other things included (like priority security of she doesn’t have Nexus or an extra free bag on a Tango fare for a personal trip)

Might be worth it to her...especially if she’s a person who’s tickled with priority boarding or doesn’t already have a Nexus card (or travels a lot on miles!)
While not explicit you imply priority baggage, this is not the case until E50. E35 gets extra... but not priority baggage.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 12:52 pm

Programs: Yes, I belong.
Originally Posted by jc94
While not explicit you imply priority baggage, this is not the case until E50. E35 gets extra... but not priority baggage.
Correct. Although my mention of waiting at the luggage carousel wasn’t in reference to priority baggage, just that it sounds like the flyer could check what would normally be a carry on and not be significantly impacted. If the flyer is flying 10 round trips per year, only with a carry on, with a 15 minute wait on each end, thats 10 trips x 2 directions x 0.25 hours per direction = 5 hours waiting at the carousel in lieu of the benefit of priority boarding (which is to find bin space). If the flyer is already checking one piece on each flight, then checking a second (the carry on) would add 0 hours more at the carousel.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 4:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by YEGcg
If the flyer is already checking one piece on each flight, then checking a second (the carry on) would add 0 hours more at the carousel.
Whoa whoa whoa.

I've probably checked multiple bags under 5 times in my life as SE, and I can explicitly recall two where bag 1 came out first, and bag 2 came out last.

For me, checking a second bag has, on average, added 20 minutes at the carousel per instance
Old Nov 30, 2017, 10:44 am
rgk
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan
Well, I changed up my flight next week to add one additional segment in. It’s a bit of a pain and means I’ll get home late evening instead of at supper time, but it’ll give me that 35th segment.
meagicano, eracerblue and YEGcg like this.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 1:17 pm
rgk
Original Poster

Well, here's what my situation looks like now. I have hit my 35 segments for the year, but am short on AQD. I actually thought I was closer on the AQD. Even with 3 segments left to count towards the AQD, it won't bring me to $4000.

I'll have the 25K status, but looks like I will miss out on 35K... unless anyone knows of a rabbit I can pull out of my hat

Old Dec 12, 2017, 1:57 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by rgk
Even with 3 segments left to count towards the AQD, it won't bring me to $4000.
How close will you be on AQD counting your three segment flights?
Old Dec 12, 2017, 1:58 pm
rgk
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Bohemian1
How close will you be on AQD counting your three segment flights?
I am guessing I will be around $3600.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by rgk
I'll have the 25K status, but looks like I will miss out on 35K... unless anyone knows of a rabbit I can pull out of my hat
Here you go: AC to allow status buy-up
Old Dec 12, 2017, 3:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I'm sure you could find a $400 round-trip fare without much issue.
DNAwizard likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 11:36 pm

Originally Posted by SilverBane
Majority of flights are DH3. I only get to use E-ups a couple of times per year. maybe I will send an email asking for some compassion. What I would like to have is the free premium on tango that SE100 would offer. That would be awesome on the DH3's.
Do email them... and let me know how you fair.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.