Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Musical chairs (except there's no music, or fun)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2017, 9:07 am
Original Poster

My GF and I are booked on Rouge to MIA next month. Over the past week, there have been three equipment changes. Originally it was a 321, then switched to a 763, then back to a 321, and now back to a 763. Each time, the new seat assignment split us up. According to the CSR, the system “doesn’t know we’re traveling together”. Huh? Both our names are on the itinerary. Anyhow, my morning routine now includes checking online to see if anything’s changed. Fortunately, the flight back (so far) is unaffected.

I understand that airlines can, and will, make changes. What I don’t understand is why they can’t (or won’t) inform the passengers. A simple text alert would suffice.

This is my first time flying AC in almost 10 years. Not a great return. I wish we could have booked WJ. As the flight was part of an incentive, we had no choice but to go AC. I imagine WJ gets equipment changes too (never experienced one, personally), but as they fly only 737s on that route, I suppose less chance of it going really screwy with the seats.

I know this is rant-ey, but I had to get it out.
j_the_p and canadiancow like this.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 9:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Bokehman
My GF and I are booked on Rouge to MIA next month. Over the past week, there have been three equipment changes. Originally it was a 321, then switched to a 763, then back to a 321, and now back to a 763. Each time, the new seat assignment split us up. According to the CSR, the system “doesn’t know we’re traveling together”. Huh? Both our names are on the itinerary. Anyhow, my morning routine now includes checking online to see if anything’s changed. Fortunately, the flight back (so far) is unaffected.

I understand that airlines can, and will, make changes. What I don’t understand is why they can’t (or won’t) inform the passengers. A simple text alert would suffice.

This is my first time flying AC in almost 10 years. Not a great return. I wish we could have booked WJ. As the flight was part of an incentive, we had no choice but to go AC. I imagine WJ gets equipment changes too (never experienced one, personally), but as they fly only 737s on that route, I suppose less chance of it going really screwy with the seats.

I've had this problem on various airlines. I had a really bad experience with UA earlier this year where my companion and I got moved from 1AB on a 2-4-2 777 to separate rows, separate sections, including a middle seat. And we had no idea until I was in the United Club.

I've attempted to solve the problem on AC: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-...-notifier.html
Old Nov 22, 2017, 9:18 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Bokehman

Phew, for a minute there I thought this was going to be a CBC article on how AC caused a split between a loving couple :-)
AC does equipment changes with no notification. Some of us are relying on resident IT gurus like Canadiancow as posted above.
Hopefully you have also read the Rouge threads to ensure reasonable seats though thankfully you are on a short flight.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 9:27 am
Original Poster

I'll take a look at your notifier. I haven't used TripIt in awhile so need to check my credentials.

I just remembered the one other time an airline switched our first class seats. There were four of us flying from YYZ to SFO on United. This was around the time they were merging with Continental. I found out about a week before that they changed the equipment A phone call could not resolve the issue, and they said to talk to someone at the ticket counter. On the morning of the flight, the guy at the ticket counter (surly and rude) said he couldn't do anything, and that I should talk to someone at the gate. Then the gate agent (surly and rude) said she couldn't do anything, and that I should talk to an FA. Then the FA (at least she was pleasant) said she couldn't do anything, and that I should ask one of the passengers if they'd be willing to switch seats. Fortunately, they were ok with that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.