Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Improving Altitude short haul FF benefits 2018+

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 14, 2018, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eracerblue
The premise: While long-haul flyers are getting upgrades worth thousands of dollars and international MLL and *G lounges with a wide variety of food options, domestic short haulers appear to be at the bottom of the AC priority list, despite many/frequent segments, significant transit/security time, and racking up considerable AQD in many cases. While many long-haulers would readily claim that *G is invaluable and that eUps have provided benefits worth thousands, I would generously value my E50K around $150.

Solution options: Please post your ideas of how to bring value to short haul elite FF's, AC, and perhaps even to positive side-effects to long-haul elites while we're at it. Here are a few ideas:

** 6) Bonus AQS for FP Activity Select Privilege Elite Benefits **
* 9) Sky Check baggage priority on disembarking.(YEG_SE4Life +5) *
** 14) Million Milers for the rest of the frequent fliers (based on AQS). (Premier Elite - YEG +3) **
* 2) Exchange MLL access for food/something else. +3 *
** 3) Exchange eUps or Select Privileges for advance seat selection on Tango Economy. +3 **
** 4) Free advance seat selection on all fairs within region. (TravellingGypsy +2) **
* 5) 150%+ AQS on increased fares. *
** 13) Lowpoint IKK Allow Elites a finite number AE tickets at base redemption levels, if space. (eracerblue) **
* 15) 5,000 AQM + 5 AQS + "$3,000" AQD Select Privilege for lowered re-qualification benefit *
* 11) Free Same Day Change (SDC) on all fairs within region. (TravellingGypsy +1) *
* 12) Complementary/automated upgrades for Elites at the gate. (RangerNS +1) *
10) Allow increased priority eUps. (DLovehall/eracerblue)
* 1) Exchange eUpgrades for airport credits. + *
** 7) Make Travel Options useful. **
8) Equality, after all it's 2018.

* = somewhat practical to do
** = suspected very practical
= not practical (costly, complicated, etc)

<BR>-------------------------------------------

1) Exchange eUpgrades for airport credits. +
eUpgrades are neat, but need to be more flexible and useful. If you have hundreds, if not thousands of dollars of credits staring you in the face (and others are making use of), and shucks you need to go out of your way to maybe eUp with a co-pay fee, this seems like we're getting ripped-off. Even a $15-30 meal voucher to the airport per ~3 eUps would be a godsend! If eUps could be converted into vouchers… hello less competition for upgrades and increased FF dedication! (or simply AC dollars)

2) Exchange MLL access for food/something else. +3
Since when do soup, crackers, and beans equate to a meal? If it is supposedly worth $50 for a ~free-agent to enter the lounge, then "show me the money!" I've gifted a few passes, where friends have received a muffin, an apple, and a couple of coffees. I generally only eat chips and soybeans at the MLL lounges, so lounge basically equals booze + sometimes quiet/comfy. Seriously, there only so many glasses of wine one can have! For illustrative purposes, if an E50K had only ~30x access vouchers to *G lounges, which could be exchanged for ~$30/ea in airport meal credit, then holy smokes! Hello less crowded lounges and increased FF dedication!

3) Exchange eUps or Select Privileges for advance seat selection on Tango Economy. +3
Sometimes out of employer necessity, or personal preference we book the cheapest fare - and do not get advance seat selection. There are a good number of FF's which find eUps useless… why not show them value and let them eUp to Flex or Latitude and select a seat? 100%+ AQM… more value… higher loyalty! eUps should always be worth something...

4) Free advance seat selection on all fairs within region. (TravellingGypsy +2)

5) 150%+ AQS on increased fares.
United is doing it, so it can't be all bad. Interesting that if I were a UA MileagePlus member, booking higher fares might receive 1.5 PQS… maybe I should consider switching!? Or fly AS, 8P, WS. If we selected higher fares we would actually bring more revenue/loyalty to AC. eg. 150% AQS on Flex, 200% AQS on Latitude... etc

6) Bonus AQS for FP Activity Select Privilege Elite Benefits
Match existing options for travel and flight pass activities to give bonus AQM. eg. +1 AQS for each FP activity, etc. (Existing AQM bonus for FP activities appears on average >>1 AQS).

7) Make Travel Options useful.
This could be part of the above mentioned converting eUps to vouchers… but we need to be able to use them. It would be painfully easy to allow booking modifications to add vouchers up until T-24, or allow Elite Select Privileges so that all flights (of sufficient length) include Travel Options. Oh, other airlines are already doing that for their elites… what a good idea!

FFs and short-haulers could probably go on at length how benefits have deteriorated or how we are overlooked, but really AC, it is simply time ask yourself some key questions about how much value is provided across your FF segments beyond long haul! Many of us have airline options for the majority of our trips – some more direct! If there's no modicum of equality, from a short-haul FF viewpoint it kinda just appears like you're sticking it to short-haulers (~I believe they generally call that bullying this day and age -- perhaps not something you want to do with valued customers).

9) Sky Check baggage priority on disembarking.(YEG_SE4Life +5)
Find ways to allow Elites to be first in line at the car rental, out the door, and on their way.

Buy-up a confirmed J seat with eUps, rather than take your chances or bid.

11) Free Same Day Change (SDC) on all fairs within region. (TravellingGypsy +1)

12) Complementary/automated upgrades for Elites at the gate. (RangerNS +1)

13) Lowpoint IKK Allow Elites a finite number AE tickets at base redemption levels, if space. (eracerblue)
eg. Give 1, 3, 5 low point bookings for 35K, 50K, 75K. 2x or 3x points is a joke.

14) Million Milers for the rest of the frequent fliers. (Premier Elite - YEG +3)
MM has no criteria for AQS, yet anyone that flown AQS to achieve the equivalent has shown extreme and long lasting dedication. Other *A partners offer these lifetime programs.

15) 5,000 AQM + 5 AQS + "$3,000" AQD Select Privilege for lowered re-qualification benefit
Allowing AQM/AQS added to existing elite Altitude members allows a small leg-up for leveling-up, rather than the same level required from a newbie. The AQD part would be harder to manage (eg. If you're going for SE there should be more grace than for 75/50/35K etc.)

** 2018JAN28: Adding items to wiki, ordered list, etc. **
** 2018JAN14: Updated #1 post, moving the ideas to wiki **
** 2017NOV12: Updated #1 post with all of the suggestions, and rough counts of FT interest **
Print Wikipost

Improving Altitude short haul FF benefits 2018+

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2017, 10:32 pm
Original Poster

Lightbulb Improving Altitude short haul FF benefits 2018+

With preliminary info on 2018 benefits trickling in, I would like to make a plea to Air Canada to offer tangible benefits to the short haul Frequent Flyer. I would suggest we do so with succinct critique, and primarily constructive and reasonable ideas.

There appears to be a strong acknowledgement from the community that benefits for the short haul Altitude Elite are mediocre compared to the long haul flyer. Please note that this thread is intended to be separate and distinct for short-haul FF benefits, rather than a general wish list for new benefit years as you can find here 2016, or here 2017.

The premise: While long-haul flyers are getting upgrades worth thousands of dollars and international MLL and *G lounges with a wide variety of food options, domestic short haulers appear to be at the bottom of the AC priority list, despite many/frequent segments, significant transit/security time, and racking up considerable AQD in many cases. While many long-haulers would readily claim that *G is invaluable and that eUps have provided benefits worth thousands, I would generously value my E50K around $150.

Solution options: Please post your ideas of how to bring value to short haul elite FF's, AC, and perhaps even to positive side-effects to long-haul elites while we're at it. Here are a few ideas:

** 28JAN2018 UPDATE **

The ordered summary list: (for details and explanations, see the wiki above)

** 6) Bonus AQS for FP Activity Select Privilege Elite Benefits **
* 9) Sky Check baggage priority on disembarking.(YEG_SE4Life +5) *
** 14) Million Milers for the rest of the frequent fliers (based on AQS). (Premier Elite - YEG +3) **
* 2) Exchange MLL access for food/something else. +3 *
** 3) Exchange eUps or Select Privileges for advance seat selection on Tango Economy. +3 **
** 4) Free advance seat selection on all fairs within region. (TravellingGypsy +2) **
* 5) 150%+ AQS on increased fares. *
** 13) Lowpoint IKK Allow Elites a finite number AE tickets at base redemption levels, if space. (eracerblue) **
* 15) 5,000 AQM + 5 AQS + "$3,000" AQD Select Privilege for lowered re-qualification benefit *
* 11) Free Same Day Change (SDC) on all fairs within region. (TravellingGypsy +1) *
* 12) Complementary/automated upgrades for Elites at the gate. (RangerNS +1) *
* 1) Exchange eUpgrades for airport credits. + *
** 7) Make Travel Options useful. **

* = somewhat practical to do
** = suspected very practical
= not practical (costly, complicated, etc)

Your move AC. I welcome FT ideas and comment. :-:

Last edited by eracerblue; Jan 28, 2018 at 12:23 pm Reason: Updated #1 post with ordered list of suggestions, per wiki
Old Nov 6, 2017, 1:15 am

Programs: AC SE100K, AA EXP, SPG Plt, HH Dmnd
Most AC short haul fliers don’t display any loyalty because most fly AC because they have no other choice.

AC is getting your business just fine with what they offer you and, quite frankly, could probably get away with offering even less.
Dorian and canadiancow like this.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 3:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I hear the OP. Good luck with your requests
Old Nov 6, 2017, 5:58 am

Programs: *$ Green
Problem with the OP's request is that he said he's switching to UAMP anyway, and UA doesnt fly YVRYXY so...
Old Nov 6, 2017, 6:03 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by SparseFlyer
Problem with the OP's request is that he said he's switching to UAMP anyway, and UA doesnt fly YVRYXY so...
Yes. And no.

Attached Images  
Old Nov 6, 2017, 6:21 am

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Folks, your comments are not helpful and they don't meet with the spirit of the thread. There is one change I would live to see. Bring my sky checked bags out first, so that I can get on my way. I waste too much time waiting for the cart and jockeying for position. It means a lot to be first at the rental car counter at a small station.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 9:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YEG_SE4Life
There is one change I would live to see. Bring my sky checked bags out first, so that I can get on my way. I waste too much time waiting for the cart and jockeying for position. It means a lot to be first at the rental car counter at a small station.
Nice one. If I have a checked bag, I will usually leave it on the carousel to race up to the rental desk. In most cases I can still keep an eye on my bag!

Originally Posted by Bonaventure
Most AC short haul fliers don’t display any loyalty because most fly AC because they have no other choice.
Are you saying, "AC doesn't value short haulers, because pax are stuck with them." This has merit, but misses the status equality thing. I know many people in my community who would rather take the 8P alternative if not drive 2.5-4 hrs for larger CDN and USA airport options. Sounds pretty much like a typical YVR or YYZ commute to me. While not everyone has options, I suspect there's more than a few that do.

Originally Posted by Bonaventure
AC is getting your business just fine with what they offer you and, quite frankly, could probably get away with offering even less.
For now. I thought I would dedicate my business for part of a year and see what I could get. Turns out not much - free bags (if I check) I suppose. Yes, if I halfheartedly tried to avoid AC, I would probably end up on AC metal ~25% of the time. I also have influence on others that travel, equating to another 30x or more flights a year (where there are airline options). Each of those people are influential (book travel for others), and surely there are others in our boat ... equating to hundreds/thousands of flights in WC alone. ... this is just marketing & customer service 101.

Edited for clarity - not decided on switching quite yet... may give it one more year.
Though as noted by @24left, I could still earn UA PQS + PQD on AC metal (at a higher rate depending on fare).. I would miss out on eUps on AC (but perhaps UA partner upgrades would work?) if flying medium-haul/sun every few years, but chances are high that I would end up on UA for much of that anyway.

Last edited by eracerblue; Nov 13, 2017 at 10:12 am
Old Nov 6, 2017, 9:33 am

Programs: AC E50K; *G; VIPorter Priority; HHonors Gold; Fairmont President's Club Premier; Nexus
This is a great point. I do YOW-YYZ very frequently. There are J seats on those flights, but given how busy that route is, my eup request might get approved half of the time at best. Similarly, I find myself avoiding the MLL more and more. When I leave YOW, I try to get to the airport as close to my boarding time as possible, making going to the MLL pointless (not that there's much to offer in that lounge anyway). And then, when I'm in YYZ waiting to come home, I to the PPL to eat and then sometimes will go over to the MLL to lounge but again, I'm spending less and less time in the lounge.

Don't get me wrong, I love having access and when you've got a long layover that access can be priceless, but for probably 75% of my flying, the only benefit I get from my E50K is priority boarding. I get through security fast with Nexus and don't check luggage, so there's nothing left really.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 10:17 am

Programs: AC-E50K, *G, WS-Gold, Nexus, HH-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, Hertz-PC
I find myself in many of the same situations as the OP, with the majority of my flights short haul. Although a novel concept, I think it highly unlikely AC would consider allowing something with often intangible benefit (eups) to be exchanged for something with tangible, concrete benefit (café, food vouchers). The reality is AC depends on X number of FF per year with expiring eups. I’m certain they have a actuarial calculation that forecasts the likelihood (exposure risk) of lower level FF utilizing their eups, in the same way that companies who sell gift cards expect a certain % to never be redeemed.

My my vote would be for free advanced seat selection, and free SDC for all fares within the western and eastern flight triangles.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 11:26 am

Programs: *$ Green
Originally Posted by eracerblue
Edited for clarity - not decided on switching quite yet... may give it one more year.
Though as noted by @24left, I could still earn UA PQS + PQD on AC metal (at a higher rate depending on fare).. I would miss out on eUps on AC (but perhaps UA partner upgrades would work?) if flying medium-haul/sun every few years, but chances are high that I would end up on UA for much of that anyway.
In all fairness though, it might be better to switch to UAMP and vote with your wallet.

Thing is, as others have mentioned, you would still end up flying AC metal, and it's unknown to us if flying AC metal on UA codeshare accumulating on UAMP is a bigger loss to you or to AC when it comes to revenue sharing.

But wow I didnt know you could buy that on UA.com!

It will be hard get decent benefits for domestic flights. I think it's been debated several times on FT actually, and it seems nothing has changed yet... maybe it will be different this time...
​​​​​
Old Nov 6, 2017, 11:56 am

Programs: AC E50K
Originally Posted by DLovehall
This is a great point. I do YOW-YYZ very frequently. There are J seats on those flights, but given how busy that route is, my eup request might get approved half of the time at best. Similarly, I find myself avoiding the MLL more and more. When I leave YOW, I try to get to the airport as close to my boarding time as possible, making going to the MLL pointless (not that there's much to offer in that lounge anyway). And then, when I'm in YYZ waiting to come home, I to the PPL to eat and then sometimes will go over to the MLL to lounge but again, I'm spending less and less time in the lounge.

Don't get me wrong, I love having access and when you've got a long layover that access can be priceless, but for probably 75% of my flying, the only benefit I get from my E50K is priority boarding. I get through security fast with Nexus and don't check luggage, so there's nothing left really.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 11:59 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Thing is, as others have mentioned, you would still end up flying AC metal, and it's unknown to us if flying AC metal on UA codeshare accumulating on UAMP is a bigger loss to you or to AC when it comes to revenue sharing.
​​​​​
I'm strongly motivated by spite, but the best combo of service would be from a high status FF member on that FFs metal. On-board, there are SEs in J, other J, and cattle, but during IROPS, A UA *G on a AC flight won't be taken care of before a AC 50Ker. Before a <25K or even no status 014er? Good question.

But to the topic at hand: yeah. I'm exclusively NA travel, and relatively speaking, I don't think I'm getting my due.

One very cheap and very appreciated enhancement would be automate, 0 credit, SE gate upgrades to J for the <1500 mi flights, even if it means no meal. Fine, sanctity of the cabin. But short haul J is hardly sanctuous. If I want it, I'll eUp it. If its empty, FFS, just give it too me.

Or moving the low credit eUp bucket to 801mi so I can get the YHZ/YYZ upgrades at a reasonable price
eracerblue likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 12:54 pm

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by eracerblue
Nice one. If I have a checked bag, I will usually leave it on the carousel to race up to the rental desk. In most cases I can still keep an eye on my bag!
I don't check bags. I am talking about the sky check cart. I can't walk away from the tarmac without my bags.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 1:24 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Originally Posted by YEG_SE4Life
I don't check bags. I am talking about the sky check cart. I can't walk away from the tarmac without my bags.
If they rush to hand you your bag to enable first dibs on the rental cars, that's not flying 3MM the hard way, now is it?
Old Nov 6, 2017, 1:30 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
OP, if your longest segment was less than a thousand miles, and assuming choice in carriers, I don't know why one would remain bound to a single FFP. Take the option that offers the best price and/or the best schedule to fit your needs for that particular trip, and you can spend the considerable cost savings in part on much finer dining than can be gained from a $30 meal voucher.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.