Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Changes to Altitude 2018 announced

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2017, 5:30 pm

Programs: AC:50K
Originally Posted by F 1
At this point, I wonder why even have P25k? It's such a let down for first-time qualifiers.
The reason for P25K is to convert (semi)frequent economy class travelers into business class travelers.

I'm a perfect example of this: I had never flown in business class until I hit P25K and got a couple flights upgraded; now I always fly in business class.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 6:12 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Personally, neither in bundle 2 is useful to me. The only friends whom might be worth gifting 50k too already travel enough to get 50k on their own. I've only paid for wifi when in heated Twitter debates. I got to 94 AQS on year one with OPM (and a $500 of mine for the open bar at YYZ on NYE). Lower requalification is pointless. So only two useful options, and two to pick.

So really no choice at all.

But they were false and useless choices last year, too.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 6:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Originally Posted by cur
if you feel spoiled by humus and tortilla chips at mlls, priority luggage that never comes out first domestically, you really need to explore other programs and airlines.
I am easily pleased okay... :P
cur likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 6:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50 UA1k 2MM AA EXP Royal Ambassador SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by F 1
At this point, I wonder why even have P25k? It's such a let down for first-time qualifiers.
gets them ready for the let down for the next status
Old Oct 31, 2017, 8:27 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Nothing has really changed for me. I expect I am typical of many Altitude members.

- I haven't used the onboard cafe coupons except on 2 flights and received nothing because;
One was Rapidair and they had not loaded anything, cashed in but got nothing and other was a flight that involved me going standby on an early flight and not getting the credit shown on my BP. Thanks Air Canada
- Haven't used the guest entry to the MLL because I lost the coupons, but honestly because no one flies with me that could use them. I am not popular like the bovine boy Besides as an E50 I don't need them anyway.

Bundle 2 and the flight pass gimmicks are useless for me as I don't use a flight pass.

I haven't used a E upgrade coupon in 2 years.

The supposed priority security clearance is a joke. The priority line isn't available in many cities after 9 pm, or on some weeknights after 8 pm.

I'll stick with the 50% bonus and the lower qualification. I'll scrape in with my TPAC in December. I really do hope they cut down on the number of customers in the MLL.

BTW, my prediction is that in 2019 Silver 25 gets dropped. The E35 will be the new 25.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 9:10 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Oh the sounds of disillusionment. And yet we re-qualify.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
Anyone notice the number of MLL passes has decreased? It used to be 6 for SE, now it's 4.

I don't think this will change much for me. My wifi-enabled flying is such that a 12 month pass doesn't make much sense. I typically buy a one month pass for EYW, and pay as I go the rest of the time.

Jack, how do you figure E50K is worth more than a 12 month pass? It retails for over $750 CAD. Are you saying you'd pay that much for E50K?
If I had no status, I would definitely pay AC $750 for *G status. that's just for flights I do in Asian not even including travel when I return to visit Canada.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 9:18 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
As an E50, it seems I’ve traded an MLL pass for AC Cafe on 2 reservations. Certainly nothing to write home about. I guess it’s true what they say: “flat is the new up.”
Old Oct 31, 2017, 9:31 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
I don’t see, if I read it correctly, that the onboard cafe coupons will be any easier to use so not much of a benefit before or in upcoming year. Hopefully I’m wrong....
Old Oct 31, 2017, 10:03 pm

I'm interested in the uptake numbers on wifi, in particular 100K level, given that most of them are business travellers. They'd have to give up the 100% bonus, eUpgrades or 50K, all of which benefit the traveller personally, to get something that they probably already expense anyways.
Diabeetus and 24left like this.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 10:03 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by Dorian
Agreed. Should be deleted, but AC likes to dangle the half eaten rotting carrot out there.
Not rotten.

Pre-digested.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 5:23 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by rehoult
I'm interested in the uptake numbers on wifi, in particular 100K level, given that most of them are business travellers. They'd have to give up the 100% bonus, eUpgrades or 50K, all of which benefit the traveller personally, to get something that they probably already expense anyways.
I would guess that most business travelers would expense cost of wi-fi. So they are not likely to pick 'free' wifi.
Diabeetus likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 5:32 am

Programs: AC SE
As an E75K, under the 2017 program, I would have picked the 75% miles bonus, 55 eUp credits and 5 MLL passes. I don't use flight passes so bundle 3 is useless for me.

Under the 2018 program, I will still get the 75% miles bonus, 55 eUp credits and 3 MLL passes. But I will now get 3 Air Canada Café coupons. I expense anything I eat when I travel and never eat anything from the AC Café anyway so that new option has a value of 0.

But still, I commend AC for trying. People on this forum have asked for free food/drinks and free Wifi for E/SE members and AC delivered on these requests. So, not a bad day for Altitude members, I guess!
Old Nov 1, 2017, 5:51 am

Originally Posted by rehoult
The WiFi thingy has absolutely ZERO value as a benefit.

It was probably a contract thing with GoGo: "Air Canada will actively encourage use of onboard GoGo services to it's elite customers".

They've done that. Contract term satisfied. Next issue.

They don't do things for us. They do things for themselves. Get that, and you get the program.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 6:14 am

Programs: AC SE; SPG Platnium; HH G
Originally Posted by drvannostren
I still feel like the lounge passes are largely useless.

I've struggled to give mine away for the past few years as an elite.

I'm not really in the AC FFP anymore, I'm 35k now, but I'll be 0 next year. Is the 100k AQD still $20,000? Not to hijack a thread at all, but I couldn't imagine spending that on AC metal alone (or the confusing ticket stock thing) as any kind of leisure traveler, even a corporate traveler it seems would have to be in paid j or last minute y all the time to make it.
remember that it is only 10k spend if you are US based which is not too hard. I do agree that the regular business traveler without overseas flights it is harder to do.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.