Wiki Posts
Search

Disembarking from 789 in YYC

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2017, 3:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE 2MM, SPG Lifetime Platinum
Disembarking from 789 in YYC

I'll be arriving in YYC on Tuesday from LHR. The equipment is a 789 and I'm hoping that someone can tell me whether the exit is at the front end of the J cabin is utilized.

I have 75 minutes to transfer/connect to my SFO flight and am trying to determine whether I should sit closer to the front or back of the cabin in order to get off quicker. Appreciate any and all replies. Thanks in advance.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 3:20 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Most likely you'll deplane via L2, but not impossible that it's L1. So row 8 is probably the quickest way out, but do row 4 or 5 if you want to hedge your bets.

Not sure that it makes much of a difference in the end though. The crew should hold back the PY/Y pax so you should be off relatively quickly one way or the other. Likely doesn't make the difference between you making the connection or not.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 3:20 pm

Programs: AC SE, UA, National Exec Elite, Nexus, GE
Originally Posted by YEG ex Executive Platinum
I'll be arriving in YYC on Tuesday from LHR. The equipment is a 789 and I'm hoping that someone can tell me whether the exit is at the front end of the J cabin is utilized.

I have 75 minutes to transfer/connect to my SFO flight and am trying to determine whether I should sit closer to the front or back of the cabin in order to get off quicker. Appreciate any and all replies. Thanks in advance.
Why not just choose seat 4A? You'd be equidistant from either entrance then.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 3:22 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by YYT82
Why not just choose seat 4A? You'd be equidistant from either entrance then.
There are 8 rows, so the median is actually row 4.5

Row 5 is missing a window though, so in that respect row 4 is better.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 3:26 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Also known as the Hogwart's row.

Soon to get it's own branded fare class.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 3:27 pm

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Originally Posted by Adam Smith

Row 5 is missing a window though, so in that respect row 4 is better.
....but the wall behind the J cabin is thinner than in front, if I recall correctly.

So, I'd say row 4 or 3.5 might be equidistant from L1 and L2.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 3:30 pm

Programs: AC SE, UA, National Exec Elite, Nexus, GE
Originally Posted by Dorian
....but the wall behind the J cabin is thinner than in front, if I recall correctly.

Precisely my rationale.
Dorian likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 3:40 pm

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Originally Posted by YYT82
Precisely my rationale.
Ya, don't know why @Adam Smith started talking about row numbers. Normally he is more on top of stuff.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 4:23 pm

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
L2 is only good for another year or so - because after then, James Webb will be there.
sibelius likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 4:26 pm

Programs: TK *G
Originally Posted by Dorian

But the possibilities of using L1 and L2 are not equal, therefore it should probably somewhere around row 6 or even 7.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 4:47 pm

I have found transiting YYC remarkably quick, given the prior postings about it. That said, I am NEXUS and don't have to redo security. Back in the bad old days I recall standing w FAs in the NEXUS queue watching people act shocked as their belts and watches triggered the Metal Detector - hashtag the good old days
Old Oct 25, 2017, 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by songsc
But the possibilities of using L1 and L2 are not equal, therefore it should probably somewhere around row 6 or even 7.
What is your evidence? How many exits of a 789 at YYC? That needs to be factored in.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 10:07 pm

Programs: Aeroplan (Silver), Air Miles, IHG Rewards (Platinum)
LHR is almost always gated at either 76 or 78, and I would go so far as to factually argue that this has happened at least 95% of the time since the new terminal opened. So very very very good odds that you will get one of these gates, in which case, you are bridged at the L2 door.

I would also gamble heavily that your AC YYC-SFO operated by QK flight will be delayed. That flight to SFO is delayed almost everyday!

I have never been to LAS... perhaps I should go there and do some wagering. Seems the Lotto Max might not be the best way for me to gamble, haha.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 3:45 am

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Originally Posted by YYC009
LHR is almost always gated at either 76 or 78, and I would go so far as to factually argue that this has happened at least 95% of the time since the new terminal opened. So very very very good odds that you will get one of these gates, in which case, you are bridged at the L2 door.
I am uncertain about the 789, but on the 77L, it has been L2 the past few times I've been on one.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 10:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE 2MM, SPG Lifetime Platinum
Thanks, YYC009. I knew someone would have some relevant personal experience.

(As for LAS, others might beg to differ, but I find it to be over the top, crass and emblematic of many of our worst qualities.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.