Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Looking for advice on how to best use eUpgrade credits

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2017, 4:32 pm
Original Poster

Hey all,

I have 30 eUpgrade credits to use before they expire in Feb and I do have a bunch of travel coming up, so looking for advice on how to best use the credits.

Oct 26
Flight 1: YEG - YVR (Aeroplan Reward flight, Economy X)

Oct 30
Flight 2: YVR - YEG (Aeroplan Reward flight, Economy X)

Nov 10
Flight 3a: YEG - YYC
Flight 3b: YYC - LHR (2 pax, Booking Class Economy K)

Nov 18
Flight 4a: LHR - YYC (2 pax, Booking Class Economy K)
Flight 4b: YYC - YEG

Jan 4
Flight 5a: YEG - YYZ (Booking Class Economy K)
Flight 5b: YYZ - YOW(Booking Class Economy K)

Jan 8
Flight 6a: YOW - YYZ (Booking Class Economy K)
Flight 6b: YYZ - LGA (Booking Class Economy K)

Jan 12
Flight 7a: LGA - YYZ (Booking Class Economy K)
Flight 7b: YYZ - YEG (Booking Class Economy K)

Have 35K status, and will qualify again for 35K for next year after the LHR flight.

Can anyone suggest where it would be beneficial to use the credits? It seems the copay is often the same as the LMU option?
Old Oct 24, 2017, 4:40 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Are your economy flights booked in Flex or Tango?
Old Oct 24, 2017, 4:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
Are your economy flights booked in Flex or Tango?
Tango
Old Oct 24, 2017, 5:49 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
From my experience in E35K, I would not expect to succeed with an eUp on TATL.
I don't know about the domestic flights, but my strategy would be to just try to use them as you go. Some will fail and you just try again. Are you aware of which ones will have a co-pay due to Tango? You may find it too expensive to use them.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 9:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyquiet
From my experience in E35K, I would not expect to succeed with an eUp on TATL.
I don't know about the domestic flights, but my strategy would be to just try to use them as you go. Some will fail and you just try again. Are you aware of which ones will have a co-pay due to Tango? You may find it too expensive to use them.

I'm sure they all will have a co-pay.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 3:05 pm
Original Poster

So I only have enough eupgrade credits to try for one upgrade on the YYC-LHR flight (21 +$750 copay). I'd like try and upgrade my dad, not myself. I have 35K status, he has nothing. Possible? We are currently booked on the same reservation.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 4:29 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by Hellfire
So I only have enough eupgrade credits to try for one upgrade on the YYC-LHR flight (21 +$750 copay). I'd like try and upgrade my dad, not myself. I have 35K status, he has nothing. Possible? We are currently booked on the same reservation.
Can request at the airport. Copay is $500 on that route, LMUs can be not much more.

Edit - I'm assuming booked into low Flex.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 10:57 pm

Originally Posted by Hellfire
upgrade yourself, slightly higher chances, and then let your father sit in your seat.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 9:12 am

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Originally Posted by quantumofforce
upgrade yourself, slightly higher chances, and then let your father sit in your seat.
This is solid advice. You can submit your upgrade earlier by splitting your ticket into two (I think E35k upgrade window is 4 days?)
Old Nov 11, 2017, 11:36 am

Programs: AC SEMM, NEXUS
Originally Posted by Diabeetus
This is solid advice. You can submit your upgrade earlier by splitting your ticket into two (I think E35k upgrade window is 4 days?)
Sure but there is no way for a E35K to share credits unless traveling on the same PNR.

OP, you need to either upgrade both of you or none of you. As a E35K there is no way to upgrade another person unless you're also upgrading yourself as part of the same reservation.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by gabdusch
Sure but there is no way for a E35K to share credits unless traveling on the same PNR.

OP, you need to either upgrade both of you or none of you. As a E35K there is no way to upgrade another person unless you're also upgrading yourself as part of the same reservation.
​​​​​​Yes.

However, since they are trying to upgrade from a Tango fare to go TATL, they only have enough eupgrade credits to upgrade one person.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 12:54 pm

Programs: AC SEMM, NEXUS
Originally Posted by Diabeetus
​​​​​​Yes.

However, since they are trying to upgrade from a Tango fare to go TATL, they only have enough eupgrade credits to upgrade one person.
So in that case, the only person that can be upgraded is the E35K and not their traveling companion.

The other option OP might have is to do an up-fare to high-Flex, Latitude, or O to save some credits and co-pay.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by gabdusch
So in that case, the only person that can be upgraded is the E35K and not their traveling companion.

The other option OP might have is to do an up-fare to high-Flex, Latitude, or O to save some credits and co-pay.
Yes. Hence the suggestions to split the PNR and eupgrade the e35k. Then give the upgraded seat to the father.
canolakid likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2020, 11:08 am

Do you have to book a specific fare class in economy (i.e. not the cheapest) in order to be able to use e upgrades?
if you do redeem e upgrades are you actually upgraded or just waitlisted?
Old Jul 30, 2020, 11:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by masterdave1
Do you have to book a specific fare class in economy (i.e. not the cheapest) in order to be able to use e upgrades?
Within North America, I think everything other than basic economy can be upgraded.

However, the number of credits required and presence and amount of co-pay depends on the fare brand (Latitude, Comfort, Flex, Standard) as well as the fare class (YBMUHQVWGSTLAKFX).

I think Flex/Comfort/Latitude has no co-pay on any fare class right now. I'm unsure about Standard.

Originally Posted by masterdave1
if you do redeem e upgrades are you actually upgraded or just waitlisted?
If there's upgrade space, you're upgraded. If not, you're waitlisted.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.