Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC17 down to J0 Y0 overnight

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2017, 1:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
I suppose I'll give AC a call today, though I doubt they will tell me anything of note as nothing has officially been canceled. That said, I do think that zero-ing out of the flight only on this day certainly does not bode well and I'd like to be able to switch to the YYZ flight earlier rather than later in case it fills up.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
What cabin are you in? PY's the only one that looks like it's even approaching being full.
Unfortunately Y. I looked at AC site for seat selection but that tool most likely does not tell me the number of seats sold just the seats taken.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 1:39 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by 1Newflyer
Unfortunately Y. I looked at AC site for seat selection but that tool most likely does not tell me the number of seats sold just the seats taken.
AC shows seats selected by pax. This does not represent seats available. There may be 1 J seat (typically fully flexible J price) but seat map may show 20 seats free if people haven't selected them.

At t-24 you can use the AC app to determine space in PY and J along with standby and upgrade lists. Will also confirm if each cabin is full. Before that EF can give a rough idea, though not exact numbers (9 vs 50 seats) as far as I'm aware.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 1:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by 1Newflyer
Y is pretty wide open.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 8:58 pm

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Princess Elite
Originally Posted by quantumofforce
They'd sell J and cancel, bump proactively Y pax due to Revenue differences.
Do you have specific knowledge of this being factual with no exceptions?
Old Oct 16, 2017, 3:44 am

Originally Posted by yyz_atc_qq
Do you have specific knowledge of this being factual with no exceptions?
there's always suggestions, but Revenue management would come down hard on whoever blocks off J to keep it empty while selling Y at a fraction of the price (assuming people on average all weigh the same).
Old Oct 16, 2017, 8:13 am
Original Poster

Anyone have any insight on if AC17 is frequently canceled on one-off days? I see a couple of days between now and December that is zero-ed out, but not many.

Trying to figure out when/if this will actually be canceled so I can start re-booking. Right now AC won't do anything.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 9:52 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50 UA1k 2MM AA EXP Royal Ambassador SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by callmedtop
I'm flying on AC17 YUL-PVG on December 8th, and just noticed that in the past day or two, the flight has gone to J9 Y9 (and all corresponding fare buckets all 9) to completely zero'ed out across the board. Flights +/- 3 days are all J9Y9 as normal.

Is this an indication that this flight will be canceled? Would like to start planning ahead if that is the case!
why suffer AC upgrade game?

YYZ-PVG is $2500cnd in business class, and Delta often has sales, even AA has. Check Premium flying thread.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 10:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flybit
why suffer AC upgrade game?

YYZ-PVG is $2500cnd in business class, and Delta often has sales, even AA has. Check Premium flying thread.
I'm already booked in J on the flight. What I'm trying to understand is why the flight went from J9Y9 with an empty seat map to zero-ed out in all classes ONLY on December 8th. They aren't selling a single seat on this flight and there is no way it sold out overnight. Hence my hypothesis that it is about to be canceled or something strange is going on.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 10:22 am

Programs: AC SE, UA, National Exec Elite, Nexus, GE
I'm already booked in J on the flight. What I'm trying to understand is why the flight went from J9Y9 with an empty seat map to zero-ed out in all classes ONLY on December 8th. They aren't selling a single seat on this flight and there is no way it sold out overnight. Hence my hypothesis that it is about to be canceled or something strange is going on.
Earlier this year I had the same experience with AC810 (YYZ-IST), when all classes were zeroed out. This happened a couple of weeks before AC officially cancelled the scheduled flight. Due to load issues and finalizing the winter schedule, AC may be considering reduction in frequency and your flight might be affected. You don't need to do anything right now, but start searching for alternate routings/options. When/If AC does indeed cancel your flight, you can then call in and demand basically anything you want, provided routing rules allow it.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 10:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YYT82
Earlier this year I had the same experience with AC810 (YYZ-IST), when all classes were zeroed out. This happened a couple of weeks before AC officially cancelled the scheduled flight. Due to load issues and finalizing the winter schedule, AC may be considering reduction in frequency and your flight might be affected. You don't need to do anything right now, but start searching for alternate routings/options. When/If AC does indeed cancel your flight, you can then call in and demand basically anything you want, provided routing rules allow it.
Thanks, this is exactly what I was looking for. I appreciate the insight.

This may be the wrong place for this, but given that this a UA-issued award ticket, will I actually need to deal with UA and will they be held to whatever award space is available? YYZ-PVG is no longer available for award seats (it was at the time I ticketed, but chose YUL instead).
Old Oct 16, 2017, 11:27 am

Programs: AC SE, UA, National Exec Elite, Nexus, GE
Thanks, this is exactly what I was looking for. I appreciate the insight.

This may be the wrong place for this, but given that this a UA-issued award ticket, will I actually need to deal with UA and will they be held to whatever award space is available? YYZ-PVG is no longer available for award seats (it was at the time I ticketed, but chose YUL instead).
Prior to departure, UA has control of your ticket, so you'll have to deal with UA. However, you can tell them (if AC does end up cancelling your flight) that AC changed the schedules and cancelled your flight, so you want them (UA) to contact AC and put you on YYZ-PVG. The other option is to be put on a UA EWR-PVG in J.
callmedtop and flybit like this.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YYT82
Prior to departure, UA has control of your ticket, so you'll have to deal with UA. However, you can tell them (if AC does end up cancelling your flight) that AC changed the schedules and cancelled your flight, so you want them (UA) to contact AC and put you on YYZ-PVG. The other option is to be put on a UA EWR-PVG in J.
I agree with the speculation tht the flight in question is likely in the process of being cancelled.

AC will rebook on different flights. However that's not always done in an ideal (or even thoughtful) way. in one case, I was booked on YYC-YYZ-MXP; they cancelled the flight to MXP and rebooked only my leg to MXP the following day, so with a full day and night at YYZ. On a revenue ticket.

If the ticket would have been issued by Aeroplan, you could request them (Aeroplan) to ask AC to open up space on more convenient flights.

As the previous poster says, OP can try the same with United. But whethger they will be willing to try, and whether AC will pay attention, is not necessarily a given.
callmedtop likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 5:03 pm
Original Poster

The flight was cancelled today. I've been on the phone with United working with them for a solution, but as of now they are telling me theres nothing they can do as there is no business award availability at all on my date of travel. They are refusing to open up saver space on United metal, which is a first for me. They are claiming that since it was an Air Canada cancellation, there's nothing they are required to do. That definitely is not the case so I will HUACA but this seems like it will be a long saga.

I will try calling AC directly, though I don't think that will be very productive.

Regardless, just wanted to quickly update with the fact that the flight was indeed canceled (I was re-booked to travel the day before on the same flight, which does not work for our schedule).
Old Oct 18, 2017, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Just to add to this, leading up to today on EF the flight was showing zeros zeros the board but internal loads were showing ample positive space.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.