Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC fare guarantee for international destinations?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2017, 9:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum

Years ago, AC would give a guarantee for non-refundable fares, for international (including transborder) destinations.

So let us say I booked a $2000 fare (whether economy or business class) today - non-latitude economy and non-full fare business.

Let us say the booking was for 3 months for now.

Let us say that AC offered a 25% discount for same booking code fare next week.

Then I could get a refund that would equal that discount, without necessarily cancelling the old ticket and re-booking a new ticket.

Does AC offer the same option?
Old Oct 8, 2017, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
I have no recollection of them ever having offered that "guarantee". The only thing I recall them guaranteeing was that they would refund the difference on a domestic ticket if you could show a lower price at the time of booking.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by The Lev
I have no recollection of them ever having offered that "guarantee". The only thing I recall them guaranteeing was that they would refund the difference on a domestic ticket if you could show a lower price at the time of booking.
+1
Old Oct 8, 2017, 11:13 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by The Lev
There is also info on the Air Canada - Our Lowest Price Guarantee page

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...guarantee.html

(at least they include reminder to screen shot )
Old Oct 8, 2017, 8:42 pm

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
err, 24 h

Your recollection of the rules seems to have missed the fact the lower rate must be within 24 h of the AC rate.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 9:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Antonio8069
Your recollection of the rules seems to have missed the fact the lower rate must be within 24 h of the AC rate.
That was not the case, several years ago!
Old Oct 8, 2017, 9:58 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII
That was not the case, several years ago!
I do not recall this and have noticed flights that have gone up and down several hundred $ after purchase.

The only airline I know that sort of does this is WS. Where a lower future price results in (automatic?) Westjet dollars being deposited, their internal money off (base fare and WS only) future flights.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by jc94
I do not recall this and have noticed flights that have gone up and down several hundred $ after purchase.

The only airline I know that sort of does this is WS. Where a lower future price results in (automatic?) Westjet dollars being deposited, their internal money off (base fare and WS only) future flights.
AS does the same thing, but I don't recall AC ever having that policy.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 5:57 am
Original Poster

Well, this is why I expressed my concern

P class business class fares from YOW to Australia usually are between $8000 and $8500, per my travel agent.

Last month, they were about $7300 (under certain restrictions) for the leisure traveler. These fares were supposed to expire at the end of last month, with the travel agent expecting these fares to go back to their usual level. So I bought the tickets for myself and my wife.

However, I expressed my concern on this forum. This is what I tell patients in the field of medicine and oncology - if you promise or guarantee something will happen, then fate will intervene and the opposite outcome will take place.

Well in my situation, the opposite outcome did take place. The tickets are now about $6200, taking account these restrictions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.