Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada moving to Amadeus; Communication issues with AP/AC post-migration result

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Canada moving to Amadeus; Communication issues with AP/AC post-migration result

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2019, 12:33 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, NEXUS
Originally Posted by Sasquatch753
So fast forward a week ago and about a couple weeks after the reservation system changeover. It is now showing up "danielmr lastname' and i got a new reference number that was never sent to me through e-mail.
I have heard that there were issues with OLCI due to this. Is anyone else having this problem?
Old Dec 16, 2019, 12:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by OSSYULYYZ
I have heard that there were issues with OLCI due to this. Is anyone else having this problem?
No issues here.
mikeycanuk and OSSYULYYZ like this.
Old Dec 16, 2019, 12:44 pm

I got my new reference number through "my booking" when I put my old one in, but I am wondering exactly what would happen if i tried to use a boarding pass that printed out as "danielmr lastname", and whether or not i can get get fixed with an aeroplan fare if there is going to be problems. I have tried calling air canada, but i just couldn't get through.

I'm leaving friday and don't want to be SOL so to speak.
Old Dec 16, 2019, 12:55 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 50K/Star Alliance Gold, Accor Gold, base level Marriott/Hyatt/Hilton
Originally Posted by Sasquatch753
Ok, so I just wondering if this has happened to anybody else and what the result is.

...the name on my aeroplan was "mr daniel lastname"(censoring last name due to privacy reasons) and was showing up as "daniel lastname" on my original AC itinerary.

So fast forward a week ago and about a couple weeks after the reservation system changeover. It is now showing up "danielmr lastname' and i got a new reference number that was never sent to me through e-mail...
Same for me, but on a paid AC booking. I'm pretty sure this will be the case from now on. My problem is that I didn't add my AE number at the time of booking, and of course, Bobmr Jones does not match "Bob Jones" so I can't add it until check-in. (For clarification, my name is not Bob Jones.)
Old Dec 16, 2019, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

None whatsoever for us today.

Don't put the MR/MS/DR field after your first name though. Now whether out connections, 75 minutes at YUL and 80 at BRU will work out is another question.

Only one minor twist but inconsequent: when checking my wife in, one of her flights initially showed up ac "economy," but with a J seat assigned. On the boarding pass it is correct, "business class" though. And date is fine even though on the list of bookings on aircanada.com these flights are supposed to be the next day...
Old Dec 16, 2019, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by tcook052
Friends whose kids are in a hockey group of 40+ had group block seat assignment originally but post-migration and after a sked change AC can no longer advise where the group is seated. So much for an IT "upgrade".
I'm not sure if I feel worse for the kids - or everyone else on the plane .

Dr. PITUK
wrp96 and don_drapper like this.
Old Dec 16, 2019, 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by yscleo
The usual. Don't expect to get through.

Someone in AC management said, all the IT problems are caused by the users, so let's get rid of the users. They are on the way to achieving that.
On a long walk today I was listening to a podcast which addresses this exact thing: Tim Harford ? Podcasts. I can't seem to find a direct link, but it is 'Cautionary Tales', episode called 'La La Land'. It's more about complexity and how it can make things worse, but definitely 'blame the user' is on the list!

NFI

Dr. PITUK
Old Dec 16, 2019, 4:27 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by canadiancow
The best speculation on this is due to making a one-way (or maybe any?) booking from country A to country B when your Aeroplan profile has you residing in country C.

I've had it before, but it's quite rare.
Exactly right. Just experienced it the other day, booking an Aeroplan award for a 2-flight itinerary within Europe. When I called in, the Aeroplan agent reassured me there was nothing wrong, but said since I'm in North America and I booked a ticket that didn't have any part of North America included in the travel, the system is set up to have the person call in to provide their payment information in order to finalize the booking.

I wouldn't normally have used AE miles for a 2-flight itinerary within Europe, but it worked out well since I was looking to fly from VIE to OSL through ZAG, and neither the OS, OU, nor the SK website provided that as a search result possibility on a revenue ticket, but AE did on an award.
Old Dec 16, 2019, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Smiley90
They're "hi I'm the VP of Air Canada communications, try calling again in 2021"
Originally Posted by Sean Peever
Fixed it
Originally Posted by yscleo
The usual. Don't expect to get through.

Someone in AC management said, all the IT problems are caused by the users, so let's get rid of the users. They are on the way to achieving that.
Originally Posted by Sean Peever
So I've done some very big switchovers in some highly highly regulated spaces for IT systems (where even 10 seconds of downtime results in a 12-page report to the government of Canada per device).

I can only justify what is happening here in 1 of 2 ways.

1) The scope of the project was grossly misunderstood, and the team managing the project did not actually comprehend the possible impacts to the connected systems.

2) AC knew about #1 but decided not to staff the call center accordingly anyway.

Since AC sent out the email saying there will be problems etc, I can only assume it's actually #2 .
Originally Posted by jtpc
As someone without status of any kind, I waited 2 hours Friday afternoon to speak to an Aeroplan agent (called at noon, they picked up around 2:05). I've found that there are 2 different messages when you first call in, depending on whether they're going to take your call or not. If the guy in the recorded message introduces himself, then the message is we can't put you on hold and that's the end of the call. If he starts by saying Air Canada has recently changed their reservation system, you will be put in the queue after the message. If anyone is hanging up as soon as they hear his voice because they figure that means Aeroplan isn't taking calls, if it's the Air Canada message, stick with it and you'll get to direct your call to the appropriate area once the message is over.
Originally Posted by mbritter
About an hr for me with AP. Called in around 9:15 am ATL
Originally Posted by mikeycanuk
We were waiting together -I was going to give up at hr2 but got to talk to someone @1hr 52min. Couldn't answer my question but I got all my office paperwork done while on hold.

I've realized I have J baggage allowance for Y tickets I assume is due to an involuntary downgrade of my J tickets a few months back (due to equipment change). I've printed my baggage allowance and itinerary and hoping I don't have to fight with the check-in agent at 4:30am. Scuba gear is heavy!
Originally Posted by Medhatter
I have been on hold today 2 hours 11 min still not through but you would think with such long wait times they would at least have more than 6 songs repeating. 10 days ago I was on almost 3 hours agent said they could do anything at the moment but would call me on Monday (7 days ago) and still no reply and I depart in 7 days.
Originally Posted by folkart
My last three calls connected to Aeroplan in about a minute, way faster than usual. I am SE and Diamond but given the resent issues I expected long holds.
Thanks to everyone for their replies.

So I prepared myself for a good hour wait just now calling Aeroplan (hunkered down in front of the computer to do some busy work) and was gobsmacked when I got an agent in two (2) minutes!

I had some issue with a simple one flight domestic J reward that I had booked a couple days ago but it remained as "Unticketed" since then. The agent said that my miles had been already debited, my cc charged without flags/warnings, and there was nothing peculiar about my booking... anyway, just odd but glad it's been rectified.
Old Dec 16, 2019, 6:21 pm

Programs: AC*SE100K 1MM, Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Originally Posted by highfly3r
I might be wrong but I believe there was a promo a few months ago that gave you bonus e-upgrades for purchasing certain flight passes. I'll try to find the email.
Just curious is this was ever confirmed, as I also received the mysterious 20 + 5 Eupgrades, and I have bought a ton of Flight passes this year.
Old Dec 16, 2019, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by LockheedElectra
Just curious is this was ever confirmed, as I also received the mysterious 20 + 5 Eupgrades, and I have bought a ton of Flight passes this year.
This is from the bonus eUps (SEs got 25 (well, first 20 then the mistakenly missing 5)) for the Amadeus migration from AC... acknowledging the inability to do eupgrades at T-24.
Old Dec 16, 2019, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LockheedElectra
This has been mentioned a few times. The 25 credits were given as part of the migration plan.
Old Dec 16, 2019, 6:36 pm

Programs: AC*SE100K 1MM, Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Thanks Stranger, haven't been on here a lot and this is the only thread that came up on a search

Last edited by LockheedElectra; Dec 16, 2019 at 7:13 pm
Old Dec 16, 2019, 8:38 pm

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
Originally Posted by tcook052
Friends whose kids are in a hockey group of 40+ had group block seat assignment originally but post-migration and after a sked change AC can no longer advise where the group is seated. So much for an IT "upgrade".
You need to think of it like an upgrade to an LCC or ULCC. The improvement is not on the pax end.
skybluesea likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2019, 9:50 pm

Programs: Aeroplan; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum; Best Western Diamond
Originally Posted by yyznomad
So I prepared myself for a good hour wait just now calling Aeroplan (hunkered down in front of the computer to do some busy work) and was gobsmacked when I got an agent in two (2) minutes!
2 min. That is super. Must be because you're Elite member.

I haven't been able to get put on hold yet, just the usual message about high volume, call when it's within 24 hr of your flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.