Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

planning for a big push from 35k to 50k

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2017, 8:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC Black Card, Nexus

I think after mulling it over for quite a bit, I've decided IF its possible I'd be interested in a final push to get to 50k status for next year.

Current stats:
AQS 37
AQM 37,634
AQD $5275

I'm about 13000 miles and $800 off.

I think a round trip from YYZ to PEK would do it? But I'm a little unsure about how to go about getting the best fare/economic efficiency on this one.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
You'll have to buy a Flex or PE ticket to get those 12,366 AQM, so cost will probably be in the $1,500 - 2,000 range.

Best utility is to go visit somewhere you actually would like to go see and enjoy a mini vacation for a couple of days.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 9:19 am
alc

so, the way I look at it is that you 13 AQS / $725 AQD away for E50K.

Here is a single-day MR:

https://www.google.ca/flights/#searc...7979;a=AC;eo=e

$334.13 ticket and you should get $236.00 AQD and 5 AQS for this trip.

Do it 3 times, will get you $708 AQD and 15 AQS.

So, this will be off by $17. so, for one of the flight, make a slightly more $$$ option or pick one of these Tango flight and do a eUpg for $50.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 9:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by alc
so, the way I look at it is that you 13 AQS / $725 AQD away for E50K.

Here is a single-day MR:

https://www.google.ca/flights/#searc...7979;a=AC;eo=e

$334.13 ticket and you should get $236.00 AQD and 5 AQS for this trip.

Do it 3 times, will get you $708 AQD and 15 AQS.

So, this will be off by $17. so, for one of the flight, make a slightly more $$$ option or pick one of these Tango flight and do a eUpg for $50.
Wow, alc! This is exactly what I was looking for.
How did you determine this itinerary? Is it a common route for people trying to bag AQS/AQD?
I might actually get another round trip with work, so I might be at 39 segments, meaning perhaps I can book this itinerary and then another that has 6 segments all in one day.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 9:44 am
alc

Originally Posted by yosemite1
Wow, alc! This is exactly what I was looking for.
How did you determine this itinerary? Is it a common route for people trying to bag AQS/AQD?
I might actually get another round trip with work, so I might be at 39 segments, meaning perhaps I can book this itinerary and then another that has 6 segments all in one day.
I pick the destination in random. I put in YTZ to start (just to make sure you have an extra segment connecting at YUL) and look at the map of Canada and find something that is not an AC Hub (to try to get another segment) and within a reasonable price. During EYW, we could have fit in 8 or 9 flights in one day, but the price might not be good on those and you might end up overnight at airport. So, I thought it might be better for you to do a day trip so you can sleep at home.

A warning is that Nov is winter time, so these high segments trips are known to be risky. Hence, if you can find a price that you like in Oct, the risk (IMO) will be lower.

For work trip, if it is not YUL, try and see if the price is about the same if you departure from YTZ.

--- added ---

If you don't mind doing an extra day, here is a 4-segment to YQB:

https://www.google.ca/flights/#searc...7971;a=AC;eo=e

this one is $285 ticket for $182 AQD and 4 AQS

the $ per AQS is a little cheaper on this one.

For this route, you can just do a search directly on AC web site or your AC App on your mobile phone for YTZ to YQB. no need to use Google Flights

Last edited by alc; Oct 5, 2017 at 10:00 am Reason: adding another option
Old Oct 5, 2017, 10:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by alc
I pick the destination in random. I put in YTZ to start (just to make sure you have an extra segment connecting at YUL) and look at the map of Canada and find something that is not an AC Hub (to try to get another segment) and within a reasonable price. During EYW, we could have fit in 8 or 9 flights in one day, but the price might not be good on those and you might end up overnight at airport. So, I thought it might be better for you to do a day trip so you can sleep at home.

A warning is that Nov is winter time, so these high segments trips are known to be risky. Hence, if you can find a price that you like in Oct, the risk (IMO) will be lower.

For work trip, if it is not YUL, try and see if the price is about the same if you departure from YTZ.
I have so so so much to learn, wow.

So I'm actually going to see if I can fit in two of those itineraries before early recognition cut off, I think thats the 15th? Also on that note, if I fly this itinerary on the 15th will that count towards early recognition? I was going to run this itinerary on the 14th and 15th probably.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 10:05 am
alc

I have so so so much to learn, wow.

So I'm actually going to see if I can fit in two of those itineraries before early recognition cut off, I think thats the 15th? Also on that note, if I fly this itinerary on the 15th will that count towards early recognition? I was going to run this itinerary on the 14th and 15th probably.
recently had this discussion at following thread:

The Air Canada Early Status Recognition Thread

and we believed that if you do get all your AQM/AQS/AQD posted by Oct 31, you should still be okay.

AQM/AQS had been posting 4 days from "landing" date. if the 4th day is on Sunday or Monday, it will get posted on Monday. AQD had been taking 1 week, i.e. a Tuesday flight last week posted this Tuesday. But AQD had been posting in the afternoon, so technically, 8 days to be safe. Hence, IMO, your last day for travel to get Early Recognition will be Oct 23.

Disclaimer: AC could choose to stick to Oct 15 this year
Old Oct 5, 2017, 10:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by alc
recently had this discussion at following thread:

The Air Canada Early Status Recognition Thread

and we believed that if you do get all your AQM/AQS/AQD posted by Oct 31, you should still be okay.

AQM/AQS had been posting 4 days from "landing" date. if the 4th day is on Sunday or Monday, it will get posted on Monday. AQD had been taking 1 week, i.e. a Tuesday flight last week posted this Tuesday. But AQD had been posting in the afternoon, so technically, 8 days to be safe. Hence, IMO, your last day for travel to get Early Recognition will be Oct 23.

thanks for this!
Id really like to get 10 segments by early recognition deadline. I can fly Oct 8 and Oct 14+15

i don’t think I’ll be able to get the cost you had originally on the YTZ > YUL > YHZ > Moncton > YUL > YYZ :/

any other suggestions for those dates? You’ve been so so much help, I really appreciate it.

edit; I can’t find any 5 segments single day routes on any of those days, I’ve been trying Moncton, Fredericton, Halifax, everything lol. Maybe you all have some ideas? Is going to the states a plausible idea?

Last edited by yosemite1; Oct 5, 2017 at 11:02 am
Old Oct 5, 2017, 11:29 am
alc

thanks for this!
Id really like to get 10 segments by early recognition deadline. I can fly Oct 8 and Oct 14+15

i don’t think I’ll be able to get the cost you had originally on the YTZ > YUL > YHZ > Moncton > YUL > YYZ :/

any other suggestions for those dates? You’ve been so so much help, I really appreciate it.

edit; I can’t find any 5 segments single day routes on any of those days, I’ve been trying Moncton, Fredericton, Halifax, everything lol. Maybe you all have some ideas? Is going to the states a plausible idea?
I think the issue is that Oct 8 and Oct 14+15 are all within the 14-days of travel, hence price will be higher.

If you don't mind driving a little bit (depending where exactly you live at the 6) you can try start the trip at YXU / YGK (connect via YYZ) or YHM (connect via YUL)

YXU will be the better one as it has more flights then the few flights from YGK and YHM for the day trip.

Here is one that I build:

https://www.google.ca/flights/#searc...8641;a=AC;eo=e

$830.83 ticket for $677 AQD and 8 AQS

you will park your car at YXU on Oct 14 but you fly back to YYZ at the day and then fly back to YXU Oct 15 to get your car back.

and here is another option:

https://www.google.ca/flights/#searc...C429;a=AC;eo=e

$657.80 for $556 AQD + 8 AQS (start at YXU and end at YYZ @10.19PM)

go home, sleep, and next day:

https://www.google.ca/flights/#searc...a=AC;so=p;eo=e

$489.57 for $371 AQD + 6 AQS (start YYZ @9:10am)

you will go home at the end of the day and take the morning flight to YXU to get your car back.

hope the above info is clear.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 12:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by alc
I think the issue is that Oct 8 and Oct 14+15 are all within the 14-days of travel, hence price will be higher.

If you don't mind driving a little bit (depending where exactly you live at the 6) you can try start the trip at YXU / YGK (connect via YYZ) or YHM (connect via YUL)

YXU will be the better one as it has more flights then the few flights from YGK and YHM for the day trip.

Here is one that I build:

https://www.google.ca/flights/#searc...8641;a=AC;eo=e

$830.83 ticket for $677 AQD and 8 AQS

you will park your car at YXU on Oct 14 but you fly back to YYZ at the day and then fly back to YXU Oct 15 to get your car back.

and here is another option:

https://www.google.ca/flights/#searc...C429;a=AC;eo=e

$657.80 for $556 AQD + 8 AQS (start at YXU and end at YYZ @10.19PM)

go home, sleep, and next day:

https://www.google.ca/flights/#searc...a=AC;so=p;eo=e

$489.57 for $371 AQD + 6 AQS (start YYZ @9:10am)

you will go home at the end of the day and take the morning flight to YXU to get your car back.

hope the above info is clear.

Hey alc, thanks for this! You're literally a wizard.

So about the second itinerary, say I didn't drive myself to London but I got dropped off. Then on the 15th would it be easier to just do a quick round trip somewhere? Or should I do the complete 3rd itinerary to make sure I clear those segments?

Edit: And is the consensus that if I fly on the 15th those flights would be counted towards early recognition? Or would I actually need to fly by the 11th so that they appear on the dashboard by the 15th?

Last edited by yosemite1; Oct 5, 2017 at 12:12 pm
Old Oct 5, 2017, 6:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by alc
Hence, IMO, your last day for travel to get Early Recognition will be Oct 23.

I agree.

You're definitely much safer flying by the 15th, but historically, they always go a couple weeks after.

As a suggestion, if you can position to YVR, TPE in Premium Economy is fairly cheap:
https://www.google.ca/flights/#searc...AC12;sc=p;a=AC

No advanced purchase requirements, no minimum stay.

YYZ is about $400 more:
https://www.google.ca/flights/#searc...C114;sc=p;a=AC

Stop for a few days if you'd like
Old Oct 5, 2017, 6:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC
There's already a thread on this.

Difference Between 35k and 50k Worth a Big Push?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.