Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Companion J fares on some TATL routes can be 2 for price of 1

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Companion J fares on some TATL routes can be 2 for price of 1

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2017, 1:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by TemboOne
This Companion J TATL Fare to selected destinations seems to be a surprise to even some more experienced FTers here, so I decided to investigate further using the OPs approximate dates.

Below are some examples out of YYZ around Nov 09 and returning about two weeks later.

I have shown the 1-person J fare and the 2-person J fare for both, and the average each. While the OPs YYZ-ZRH example is good other savings can be even greater. These were all done on AC's own website.

YYZ-CDG 1 person $6,888 2 people together $5,924 = $2,962 average each
YYZ-AMS 1 person $6,782 2 people together $6,194 = $3,097 average each
YYZ-FRA 1 person $7,554 2 people together $7,018 = $3,509 average each
YYZ-BRU 1 person $6,619 2 people together $6,236 = $3,118 average each
YYZ-MUC 1 person $7,330 2 people together $6,978 = $3,489 average each
YYZ-ZRH 1 person $7,153 2 people together $6,858 = $3,429 average each

Just a few examples that did work. London and Rome also worked, but ATH, DUB, LIS, MAD, TLV, VIE and WAW did not.

I wish there was something like this for TPAC!
Great summary!

For the most part companion fares are offered on business-heavy routes where AC manages to charge >$6k/pax - a price point very few leisure travellers are willing to pay for a TATL J flight.

The TPAC market is, for the most part, already very competitive, with J fares often in the $3k-$4k range, so there's less need to offer discountd fares to leisure pax.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 8:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
Great summary!

For the most part companion fares are offered on business-heavy routes where AC manages to charge >$6k/pax - a price point very few leisure travellers are willing to pay for a TATL J flight.

The TPAC market is, for the most part, already very competitive, with J fares often in the $3k-$4k range, so there's less need to offer discountd fares to leisure pax.
That's interesting as I find DL fares exUSA in business class to generally be cheaper TATL than TPAC, although certain destinations or city-pairs are exceptions.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 3:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by Dorian
Huh? Why can't I take 24left or Cow on a trip with me?
Awww @Dorian, that's so nice of you to think of me.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 4:47 pm
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
Originally Posted by D582
There are the fares in question:

Code:
AC-ACD/EL - BUSINESS LOWEST                                     
AC     YTOZRH.AT       01MAY18          MPM  4860               
    V FARE BASIS     BK    FARE   TRAVEL-TICKET AP  MINMAX  RTG 
  1   PXRCCP13       P R  2420.00        T31OC  7/3 10/12M AT01 
  2   PWRCCP13       P R  2510.00        T31OC  7/3 10/12M AT01 
  3   PRC50          P R  5348.00     ----     50/3 ‡‡/12M AT01 
  4   PRC28          P R  6144.00     ----     28/3 ‡‡/12M AT01 
  5   PRC14          P R  6674.00     ----     14/3 ‡‡/12M AT01
They carry this rule:

Code:
13.ACCOMPANIED TRAVEL                                           
   MUST BE ACCOMPANIED ON ALL SECTORS IN SAME COMPARTMENT       
   BY AT LEAST 1 ADULT PSGR. NO MORE THAN 8 ACCOMPANIED         
   PASSENGERS PERMITTED FOR EACH ADULT PSGR.
Cancellation of one ticket is supposed to force a re-price of the other, but in reality, YMMV.

Yes thanks for exposing this.

Minimum 10 day stay might be an obstacle for some if just on business but most leisure travellers will be OK.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 4:57 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Dorian
Huh? Why can't I take 24left or Cow on a trip with me?
I mean, I know I missed the YYJ Do and we haven't seen each other in a while, but why not take an Adam Smith? He's typically open to staying places for 10 days more than a super-mobile bovine or runway
Old Oct 7, 2017, 5:23 pm

Location: AC Million Miler & long time SE; StarwoodPlat for 10+ yrs & lifetime Gold; Hilton Honours Diamond; IC Ambassador; AMEX Plat;Avis Presidents Club; Airmiles GOLD; and just about everything else!
Programs: aeroplan & 25+year loyalty
do these TALT fares exist from LGA to JNB or CPT? How does one find these fares?
Old Oct 7, 2017, 7:52 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG Gold Elite, Marriott Rewards
The deal ex LGA is even better!

Originally Posted by 100,000miler
do these TATL fares exist from LGA to JNB or CPT? How does one find these fares?
Using the same formula as in post #31 I extrapolated to see what LGA-CDG on AC in J via YUL or YYZ would give and it's a huge shock - for Canadians

Using 2018 as a basis I tried LGA-CDG June 19 returning July 04.

The fare for "2" passengers in J is $6,344 for an average of $3,172 via YUL ($3,180 via YYZ)

Expecting the same pattern I changed to just "1" passenger alone and was shocked to see that Americans ex LGA actually get what OP was asking for. The one person travelling solo pays $3,172 LGA-YUL-CDG return in J!

Presumably this is in US$ based on the point of origin.

For the record all this was done on Air Canada's own website and a couple were cross-checked on Matrix.

The fares previously listed are only TATL to select destinations in Western Europe.

PS: For those in the GTA and Southern Ontario area, many of us grew up in the days when it was common to cross the border to BUF or even DTW for bargain airfares.

While you can't get the above AC fares J to Europe ex BUF or DTW they do actually work from ROC-CDG and CLE-CDG via YUL and/or YYZ.

So, solo AC J travellers like the OP from Toronto can drive over to Rochester and fly YYZ to CDG for a significant discount. In fact if driven to ROC the return trip might be terminated "early"! (This may not work for ZRH).

Last edited by TemboOne; Oct 8, 2017 at 7:48 am
Old Oct 8, 2017, 9:11 am

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
Is this companion fare (for 2 passengers) also offered on other AC routes, besides TATL routes?

I am planning to fly to Australia or NZ next April. Will AC or (A)NZ offer such fare options?
Old Oct 8, 2017, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII
Is this companion fare (for 2 passengers) also offered on other AC routes, besides TATL routes?

I am planning to fly to Australia or NZ next April. Will AC or (A)NZ offer such fare options?
I've never seen a TPAC companion fare on AC (probably for the reasons I listed above).

Most commonly I see compnanion fares offered:

1) on TATL routes (mainly, but not exclusively on business-heavy routes where regular fares are very high)
2) by ME carriers (who have been pushing those quite aggressively ex-Europe)
3) by European airlines (mainly to compete with the ME airlines)
Old Oct 8, 2017, 11:26 am

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
I've never seen a TPAC companion fare on AC (probably for the reasons I listed above).

Most commonly I see compnanion fares offered:

1) on TATL routes (mainly, but not exclusively on business-heavy routes where regular fares are very high)
2) by ME carriers (who have been pushing those quite aggressively ex-Europe)
3) by European airlines (mainly to compete with the ME airlines)
Another example - a few months ago I got a Star Alliance (issued by UA) fare for 2 - P class - BOS-DEL-BOS - for CAD$3200.

Last edited by FlyerGoldII; Oct 8, 2017 at 11:32 am
Old Oct 8, 2017, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII
Another example - a few months ago I got a Star Alliance (issued by UA) fare for 2 - P class - BOS-DEL-BOS - for CAD$3200.
Since India is covered under the TATL JV, that's not overly surprising.

(For various purposes, India falls into the Europe / Middle East / Indian Subcontinent / Africa category, not the Asia category)
Old Oct 8, 2017, 12:37 pm

Programs: *$ Green
Doesn't everyone in the world need to take a geography class?

Also, what's a Star Alliance fare?
Old Oct 8, 2017, 2:16 pm

Programs: AC SE 100K
These "CP" fares which have the rule called "Accompanied travel" are the latest invention from the LH fares/rates team. It has been a bit of a mess. They came into play last year.

Firstly - on an itinerary where I am going to have to split the pnr and change the return for my other half (as planned from booking date) - we ended up with a CP fare - which is a mess and will require some manual (or divine) intervention to fix.

Second - AC itself issued to me a CP fare for myself - one pax - - completely without me asking - it just came up in rates and they priced it that way. May have been a manual error but - I guess like Monopoly "Agent error in your favour - - collect a CP fare for 1 pax". I only even found out 4-5 months after ticket issuance by chance.

These are pretty good prices so if you can get them and fly on them - the pricing is good. These are not the same as like two-for-one - where one pax pays and the other has zero fare - it is actually a published fare - both pax pay same but must be booked in PNR of 2 or more.

And . @TemboOne - The reason this is only TATL is that LH is the driver on these and this is part of the TATL JV pricing.

Happy flying.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by SparseFlyer
Doesn't everyone in the world need to take a geography class?

Also, what's a Star Alliance fare?
AC and UA and LH (and LH subsidiaries such as LH, LX, Brussels Airlines)) offer joint transatlantic fares, through a joint venture agreement.

See link for more details:

https://www.lufthansagroup.com/en/co...-ventures.html

This is alluded in the previous post.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 3:00 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG Gold Elite, Marriott Rewards
AC Fares Changed?

Just received a "heads-up" alert that my previous October 6th chart (post #29 ) of fares is obsolete as AC has changed things - hopefully now more logical.

Just did a test reservation YYZ-CDG dep 11 June ret 28 June for one and two passengers in J on the non-stop flights.

The 1 person fare is now $4,074 while the 2 persons fare is now $5,974 for an average of $2,987 each.

Haven't checked other destinations but it now seems the single traveller is getting a better more fair deal - while a couple can still "save" $1,000 each!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.