Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Cheers to post # 5,000 and to the International Business Class Fall Wine program

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cheers to post # 5,000 and to the International Business Class Fall Wine program

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2017, 10:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport

Cheers to Post # 5,000 and to the International Business Class Fall Wine program effective today.

International Reds:
>Fabre Montmayou Cabernet Franc Reserva - Mendoza (Argentina) 2015
>Pruneto Fiulot Barbera D'Asti - Piedmont (Italy) 2016
>Cahors the Combai Cosse and Maisonneuve - Chaors (France) 2015

International Whites:
>Portela Beade Primacia Treixadura Ribeiro - Galica (Spain) 2016
>Tawse Chardonnay Niagara - Niagara (Canada) 2013

Sante/Prost/Yamas/L'Chaim/Gan-bei/Na Zdrowie!!!
jlisi984 likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 10:37 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
Cheers to Post # 5,000 and to the International Business Class Fall Wine program effective today......
Congrats! and thanks for the Fall wine update
Old Oct 1, 2017, 10:44 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Cheers to Post # 5,000
Cheers! May the next 5,000 be as helpful as the first 5,000
Old Oct 1, 2017, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Congratulations
Old Oct 1, 2017, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Cheers and thanks for your many informative posts over the years!^
Old Oct 1, 2017, 12:16 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Cheers, congrats, and thanks! ^
Old Oct 1, 2017, 12:45 pm

Congrats ACYYZ/SD!
Old Oct 1, 2017, 12:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Congrats.

For once, I'm actually doing a fair bit of international flying, so I may even have the opportunity to try some of these
Old Oct 1, 2017, 12:57 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Congrats, that is quite the achievement!

Also quite impressed with the wines. Argentinian Cabernet Franc is developing a good reputation and that is a quality producer. Also, the entire list is very food friendly and lighter bodied than the usual fare. This may not be as high end as other airline offerings in J but it is an "interesting" list and got to say cheers to that.

YXEG
Old Oct 1, 2017, 1:10 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG Gold Elite, Marriott Rewards
Smile Congratulations!

We both want to add our congratulations from two of the many you have been so kind and helpful to!

You're a great and knowledgeable ambassador for AC and I'm sure we all look forward to your second 5,000 posts!
Old Oct 1, 2017, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

>Fabre Montmayou Cabernet Franc Reserva - Mendoza (Argentina) 2015
>Pruneto Fiulot Barbera D'Asti - Piedmont (Italy) 2016
>Cahors the Combai Cosse and Maisonneuve - Chaors (France) 2015
Le Combal: $19.65 in Quebec. Got decent reviews. (I like decent French Cahors, but alas there are tons of crappy ones.)

Fabre Montmayou: not familiar with their Cabernet Franc. Their reserve Malbec is decent. Cabernet Franc seems cheaper. $17.95 in Ontario...

Prunotto Barbera d'Asti Fiulot should be $20.15 in Quebec.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 1:38 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Unfortunately, I am unable to share your enthusiastic embrace of the wine selection. Honestly, I do not know how anyone could be excited over these products. I see these as one step up from the cheapest wines stocked by the LCBO and SAQ.

Let's look at the selection of wine's list price at some of the liquor commissions, before discount and bulk purchase arrangements;
• Fabre Montmayou Cabernet Franc Reserva - Mendoza (Argentina) 2015 - $20-$30
• Pruneto Fiulot Barbera D'Asti - Piedmont (Italy) 2016 - Could not find, but was able to identify Prunotto Fiulot Barbera D'Asti $20.00
•Cahors the Combai Cosse and Maisonneuve - Chaors (France) 2015 - $20.00
•Portela Beade Primacia Treixadura Ribeiro - Galica (Spain) 2016 - $25-$35
•Tawse Chardonnay Niagara - Niagara (Canada) 2013 - $20- $35

The above list price indications are a strong indication of what one can expect in the bottle. I do not profess to be a wine expert, but one thing I have learnt over the years is that cheap wines give me heartburn and are noticeably bad. My take-away, is that Air Canada is continuing to provide cheap quality wines that can be expected to be as unpalatable as any of the other plonk served onboard in previous years. No doubt, some people will be delighted with the selection and that's wonderful. Air Canada has satisfied them. However, for others, the people like me who are paying $5,000+ for a business class ticket; we were hoping that Air Canada would be able to splurge on a $40 or $50 (after discount) bottle of wine for our 2 glasses with dinner. I don't drink $20 wine at home, so why would I start drinking it onboard the bus in the sky?

Appreciably, there are a small number of reviews that suggest that these are acceptable wines. I don't know if those were product placement reviews, or pay for play, but I'll go with the acceptability. However, there is one caveat with the reviews: The wines are reviewed within the context of the class of wines that they are. It's like comparing fast food burgers: Some will be better than others, but none will compare to quality minced sirloin one prepares at home or enjoy's at Gibby's.

Happy tippling to all.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 1:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
The best wine I've ever had was under $15/bottle.

Price means absolutely nothing.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by canadiancow
The best wine I've ever had was under $15/bottle.

Price means absolutely nothing.
Was this while flying on your bestest ever rouge flight.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
Unfortunately, I am unable to share your enthusiastic embrace of the wine selection. Honestly, I do not know how anyone could be excited over these products. I see these as one step up from the cheapest wines stocked by the LCBO and SAQ.
Well, trying to be optimistic, the new selection seems like a step in the right direction.

Many of the previous wines had a list price of $12-$15 and were rather nasty.
While it's hard to find good wines in the $20-$30 range that are also produced in large quantities, many wines in that price range are certainlly drinkable IMO.

Expecting AC to spend $40-$50 per bottle means a list price of >$80-$100 (accounting for discounts and no taxes/duty). While I'd love AC to offer such wines, I don't see that happening.
gcashin likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.