Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Star Gold / Silver (*G / *S) checked baggage policy (2017 onwards)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Star Gold / Silver (*G / *S) checked baggage policy (2017 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2017, 2:03 am

Absolute BS from AC but not expected (remember this is the airline that thinks it's smart to offer RyanAir like service on long haul routes like Toronto to Honolulu or Vancouver to Osaka on AC Rogue).

I'm ok with them pulling the bag limit from *S since any old kettle these days can get that status. What frustrates me are the frequent fliers who travel regularly and easily attain the *G status (i.e. making 1K on UA in 1 month) can only check in one bag. Meanwhile if you're kettle on AC's hypothetical FF program called Aeroplan, your Altitude status will still get the usual bag allowance (keep in mind AC hasn't really had a FF program since 2003 when they sold Aeroplan to Aimia - we'll have to wait until 2020 for AC to have an actual FF program which is why I've been crediting my flights over to UA or as I call it Air Canada Milageplus operated by United)

Next thing you know AC will pull a United on us *G members and limit Maple Leaf Lounge access to international flights.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 3:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by j2simpso
Absolute BS from AC but not expected (remember this is the airline that thinks it's smart to offer RyanAir like service on long haul routes like Toronto to Honolulu or Vancouver to Osaka on AC Rogue).

I'm ok with them pulling the bag limit from *S since any old kettle these days can get that status. What frustrates me are the frequent fliers who travel regularly and easily attain the *G status (i.e. making 1K on UA in 1 month) can only check in one bag. Meanwhile if you're kettle on AC's hypothetical FF program called Aeroplan, your Altitude status will still get the usual bag allowance (keep in mind AC hasn't really had a FF program since 2003 when they sold Aeroplan to Aimia - we'll have to wait until 2020 for AC to have an actual FF program which is why I've been crediting my flights over to UA or as I call it Air Canada Milageplus operated by United)

Next thing you know AC will pull a United on us *G members and limit Maple Leaf Lounge access to international flights.
For the record, United has been treating foreign *G members exactly this way for years.

So I find it amusing that you take issue with this is a UA 1K.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 5:54 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
I'm ok with them pulling the bag limit from *S since any old kettle these days can get that status. What frustrates me are the frequent fliers who travel regularly and easily attain the *G status (i.e. making 1K on UA in 1 month) can only check in one bag.
You have to expend some concerted effort to attain Silver status in any program. It's not for the kettles. But I wonder how many true frequent flyers - who are buying at least Flex fares in order to attain that status in the first place - find themselves in a position where they're checking more than two bags? Keep in mind those allowable bags can be quite large & heavy.

I'd venture nearly everybody flying the kind of miles you refer to will check one, or no, bags per flight. The exception might be the traveling sales guy or trade show rep who takes his booth props and product samples on the road with him, in which case, any extra bag fee is but a tiny deductible cost of doing business.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 8:51 pm

CanadianCow - I agree that it's equally silly that United (and other *A airlines) imposes a similar bag limit (not saying what they are doing is right either).

CZAMFlyer - Agreed on the rarity of checking in multiple bags (let alone any due to the possibility of IRROPS). That being said I regularly travel for leisure (i.e. hiking or cross country skiing). Hence, there are occasions where I'm flying domestically (i.e. YYZ to YEG) and need to check in my hiking gear (i.e. hiking pole) and a bag with my clothes/personal items. It was nice when they had the 3 bag policy since I didn't need to worry when travelling. Was also a useful perk when travelling with friends/family on same itinerary so I could check their bags through.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 2:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
CanadianCow - I agree that it's equally silly that United (and other *A airlines) imposes a similar bag limit (not saying what they are doing is right either).
The Star Alliance policy for *G is one extra bag.

It has nothing to do with the airlines, and everything to do with the published alliance policy.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 12:18 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by canadiancow
The Star Alliance policy for *G is one extra bag.

It has nothing to do with the airlines, and everything to do with the published alliance policy.
One extra bag based on fare type - I wonder how this works with credit cards ...
Old Dec 30, 2017, 3:18 pm

Programs: SAS Diamond (*G), Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
How strict is AC on the baggage weight allowance?
I'm star gold with SAS. Previously it was 32kg but now it says 23kg max.
I only plan to check-in one luggage so maybe they will be ok with an overweight bag?
Old Dec 31, 2017, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by vd0t
I only plan to check-in one luggage so maybe they will be ok with an overweight bag?
asśume you will get a strict enforcing agent and hope for the best.

YMMV.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 8:08 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
At the priority desk I never personally had issues in PY or P25k (ie 2 x 23kg) with one 25kg bag. I would suspect 30kg would cause an issue.

Leave some room in your carry on just in case. In case they do a WS which did object to 1x25kg on a Plus fare.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 8:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL Diamond, Hyatt Plat, AA Plat, SPG Plat/Lifetime Plat, Amex Plat / PRG, DClub
Learned this the hard way today. Was going YUL-LGA on a low fare Y ticket (Maybe Tango, don’t remember). Expected 3 bags for at least me and Mrs. Mapletree (we are both 1K UA). Had kids with us after two weeks of skiing and skating...so lots of bags.

Agent shared that rules have changed. Was going to charge us. Then saw date of ticket purchase and grand-fathered us.

Did say that ski bag and boot bag counted as one bag.

Too bad, was a great perk as a *G.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by mapletree
Learned this the hard way today. Was going YUL-LGA on a low fare Y ticket (Maybe Tango, don’t remember). Expected 3 bags for at least me and Mrs. Mapletree (we are both 1K UA). Had kids with us after two weeks of skiing and skating...so lots of bags.

Agent shared that rules have changed. Was going to charge us. Then saw date of ticket purchase and grand-fathered us.

Did say that ski bag and boot bag counted as one bag.

Too bad, was a great perk as a *G.
yes, the ski and boot bag as one has been a rule since forever.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 10:14 pm

Programs: SAS Diamond (*G), Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
I checked-in with 1x25kg and it was no problem as *G!
I don't think the agent even bothered to weigh my baggage.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 10:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I checked-in with 1x25kg and it was no problem as *G!
I don't think the agent even bothered to weigh my baggage.
Congratulations for winning a YMMV mini battle.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 5:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I checked in today for a trans-border flight YVR-SEA-XXX, purchased with a UA codeshare. I was given 0 free bags, despite my *G status. My status was on the reservation, and the chcek-in agent was sympathetic, but she couldn’t get the computer to waive the fee.

I’ve written in for a refund; I don’t know how much of a hassle that will be. Needless to say, I was surprised.

I’m guessing the UA codeshare messed things up, but you’d think the AC computers would be able to figure out that *G means at least 1 bag...
Old Jan 3, 2018, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jsloan
I checked in today for a trans-border flight YVR-SEA-XXX, purchased with a UA codeshare. I was given 0 free bags, despite my *G status. My status was on the reservation, and the chcek-in agent was sympathetic, but she couldn’t get the computer to waive the fee.

I’ve written in for a refund; I don’t know how much of a hassle that will be. Needless to say, I was surprised.

I’m guessing the UA codeshare messed things up, but you’d think the AC computers would be able to figure out that *G means at least 1 bag...
Did the *G show on your BP?
canadiancow likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.