Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Georgian - no planes , no pilots

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Georgian - no planes , no pilots

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2017, 8:17 pm

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
Originally Posted by Medhatter
Today the city announced they will close the Airport fro May 7/18 to May 30/18 to do the upgrades they have been working on all year. I had 2 flights cancelled in the last 6 months due to these upgrades already.
My view is now go to YYC and look for the best price. I have gone from 75k to now 25K due to the fact Air Canada keeps cancelling flights on me. The ironic point is I also have 2 - 25% off and 1 - 20% off codes but can't book a reliable flight.

if you don't want those 25% off Coupons I can use them. I have given up travel out of YQF between February until September of this year. Then in September, October and November my YQF flights were either cancelled or delayed.

I do complain and AC sends their standard apology email with a discount code. It cost me more to drive to YYC and pay for parking, but I can no longer trust the YQF service, it's no longer reliable.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 10:05 pm

Cancelled flights from and to YXH is becoming the norm IMHO. So much so, that I am leaving tonorrow evening (if flight goes) and taking the red eye to YYZ to connect with my YYZ-ZRH flight. In the good old days I would have taken the 0520 and easily connect but now I cannot depend on it and since it is two different bookings, AC will have no responsibility for missed connections.
Maybe they will extend the runway to have jets coming!!
Old Nov 15, 2017, 4:35 am

Programs: *$ Green
Originally Posted by ac777
Cancelled flights from and to YXH is becoming the norm IMHO. So much so, that I am leaving tonorrow evening (if flight goes) and taking the red eye to YYZ to connect with my YYZ-ZRH flight. In the good old days I would have taken the 0520 and easily connect but now I cannot depend on it and since it is two different bookings, AC will have no responsibility for missed connections.
Maybe they will extend the runway to have jets coming!!
AC takes responsibility if it's two 014 tickets, or if it's an AC to AC connection.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 1:11 pm

Programs: AC 35K, Hilton Diamond
Westjet appears to see an opportunity: http://westjet2.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=1296
Old Nov 24, 2017, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gregster
Westjet appears to see an opportunity: http://westjet2.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=1296
^
Great news...finally some competition YQL-YYC.......
Old Nov 24, 2017, 3:32 pm

Programs: AC SE100K , 1MM, Hilton Diamond, KLM
I to am happy that West Jet is going to fly to YQL in March and 3 times per day. Since AC gave the contract to Air Georgian things have gone down hill with cancelled. delayed flights in and out of YQL .
When Mountain Air serviced the route for AC it was terrific

West Jet does know how to fill the planes . Each and every plane going to PSP in the last weeks have been full and AC considers this a seasonal route and starts flying it to late in the season.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by airbus320
^
Great news...finally some competition YQL-YYC.......
Nine daily (not sure if just weekdays, or weekend as well) will be interesting for YQL. I certainly hope it works well for them and I can take advantage of their much lower prices next time I visit family in YQL!
Old Nov 27, 2017, 5:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AC has been quiet since this announcement.......
Old Nov 27, 2017, 6:38 am

Programs: Aeroplan (Silver), Air Miles, IHG Rewards (Platinum)
Originally Posted by airbus320
AC has been quiet since this announcement.......
What do you expect them to say? AC has a product offering that hasn't changed much in many years and it works well for them. Sure we have our own gripes about the difference in service between the past Central Mountain Air and current Air Georgian. But in recent years, all smaller airlines are hurting as the pilot vacancies open up at the larger carriers that offer more money. CMA doesn't even own the Saab's yet and still needs to figure out their own hiring. Plus the Westjetters can't be too happy about Westjet contracting out their brand again. Unionization coming.

On the YYC-YQL/YXH/YXC markets AC offers better frequency and a known product. On the YYC-YLL route, it is just 9M that currently operates that; clearly AC doesn't feel the need to introduce a third carrier to compete on that market. Not sure about YXS but it seems to be served well by AC ex-YVR on larger aircraft?

I think their will be too much capacity for some of these markets and something won't survive long term. Possibly the answer is Central Mountain Air. In the sense that they will cut their own metal routes but service the routes under the contract agreement through Westjet Link where they don't have to worry about selling tickets, only about flying planes.

At the end of the day, I don't expect much of a response from Air Canada. This is a tiny market in a big world. Status quo remains.

And I am not sure about how much further expansion Westjet Link can offer long term. Name other small airports that can support 34-seater flights? On other boards people are speculating about Spokane, Kalispell, Billings, Swift Current, Prince Albert, Peace River, Bonnyville, Nelson/Trail, etc. etc. etc. At the end of the day, I am not sure that it is reasonable for it [Westjet Link] to expand much, and is probably why Air Canada hasn't expanded much in these regional routes with the exception of YQF, which it still has a monopoly on this route.

I would love a YYC-GEG route though... AC Express on a BEH twice a day? Or Westjet Link once a day on a Saab (what is the acronym for Saab 340?)?
Old Nov 27, 2017, 6:42 am

Programs: Aeroplan (Silver), Air Miles, IHG Rewards (Platinum)
Oops, regarding my post above, I initially believed it was Central Mountain Air that Westjet is using. It is actually Pacific Coastal Airlines. CMA could be in trouble...
Old Nov 27, 2017, 7:02 am

Programs: AC P25
Originally Posted by YYC009
What do you expect them to say? AC has a product offering that hasn't changed much in many years and it works well for them. Sure we have our own gripes about the difference in service between the past Central Mountain Air and current Air Georgian. But in recent years, all smaller airlines are hurting as the pilot vacancies open up at the larger carriers that offer more money. CMA doesn't even own the Saab's yet and still needs to figure out their own hiring. Plus the Westjetters can't be too happy about Westjet contracting out their brand again. Unionization coming.

On the YYC-YQL/YXH/YXC markets AC offers better frequency and a known product
So let's see, ignore all concerns in the thread about terrible reliability of current service (known product lol), offer totally unrelated criticism of a new competitor and say anything to somehow justify that everything is just fiiiine. This is the attitude I feel oozing from AC and is so... perplexing...
Old Nov 27, 2017, 11:29 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by yytleisure
So let's see, ignore all concerns in the thread about terrible reliability of current service (known product lol), offer totally unrelated criticism of a new competitor and say anything to somehow justify that everything is just fiiiine. This is the attitude I feel oozing from AC and is so... perplexing...
Again, what would you expect them to say?

"Yeah, we've been screwing you for years, with impunity. Sorry, not sorry. Now with Westjet on the scene we will suck less. We promise. --30--"
Old Nov 27, 2017, 11:50 am

Programs: WS Gold, Bonvoy Titanium Elite, AC 100K, INtercontinetal Ambassador, Avis Prefered Plus
It will be great to have an alternative here in YXH, I never expected good service from AC but fair service would have been palatable, Air Georgian has been a huge disappointment the past couple of years I only hope we can now support all the extra seats Westjet will be giving us. Competition is a good thing if the market supports it.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 11:55 am

Programs: AC P25
Originally Posted by RangerNS
Again, what would you expect them to say?

"Yeah, we've been screwing you for years, with impunity. Sorry, not sorry. Now with Westjet on the scene we will suck less. We promise. --30--"
My response was about his commentmore than ACs non comment. He gave the corporate speak and that's worse than nothing. Slightly.

I would expect AC to have known about this before we did and have some sort of plan in place by now.. not necessarily say "we suck" but have a viable plan to improve the poor reliability and communicate that. Not even communicate. Just make noticeable improvements like actually flying the scheduled flights that people will notice.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 9:28 am

Programs: 35 K
I am just wondering if anyone knows if Air Georgian uses one plane for the Canbrook, Red Deer, Lethbridge, Medicine Hat, Calgary runs. The reason I ask is today the 5:20 flight (7230) was cancelled last night and now I received notification that AC 7234 now is delayed to 17:10 from 16:05 which will make me miss my connection. When I used the track inbound flight on the app it looks as if the delay started Friday morning on the AC 7230 which was 40 min late and it snowballed to as much as 3 hours late into Red Deer. It now seems they are trying to catch up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.