Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Proposed Class Action against Air Canada for Flight pass expiry and fees

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Proposed Class Action against Air Canada for Flight pass expiry and fees

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2017, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by mendy7511
I think this one is for all flight passes, not just the mistake price.
+1 Any FP with a set number of segments.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 12:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by InTheAirGuy
why not join and see if it is possible to extract a pound of flesh from them.
With these types of cases, I've always been opted in, and have to go through a huge hassle to opt out.

So if you do nothing, you're probably going to end up a member of the suit (if it gets certified).

Having paid to extend a FP, I suspect I would definitely be automatically included.
Old Jan 12, 2021, 9:07 am

On November 27, 2020, the Court of Appeal of Quebec reversed a previous decision and authorized the class action lawsuit as a Canada-wide class action.
https://courdappelduquebec.ca/en/jud...-c-air-canada/

Consequently, the action should be authorized for the class that includes all Canadian consumers who purchased, received, and/or acquired a Pass with a specified number of flight credits since August 16, 2013.
Link to full text of the decision

Last edited by hoipolloi; Jan 12, 2021 at 9:27 am
Old Jan 12, 2021, 10:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
If this wins it may very well kill FPs. FPs are cheap because of the massive breakage. They're designed for people who fly the same routes quite frequently, not for someone looking for a discount on their next 5 vacations.
Old Jan 12, 2021, 10:15 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by canadiancow
If this wins it may very well kill FPs.
Possibly. But more likely an issue for three or four years down the road when this case gets resolved.
Old Jul 5, 2021, 3:16 pm

Programs: Ice Cream Club, AC SE MM, Bonvoy Life Plat
just received an update from Air Canada on this to offer an opt-out.
Old Jul 5, 2021, 3:49 pm

Programs: E75K
Just hope this doesn't kill Flight Passes.
Old Jul 5, 2021, 4:07 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 75K, Bonvoy Titanium
Perhaps it can be like Groupon, where if you don't use them in time they just become a voucher equivalent to the amount you paid. So, unused flight credits just become a proportional AC gift card.

It would certainly suck to lose flight passes altogether, if this class action is successful!
Old Jul 5, 2021, 4:38 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 75K | Latitude Flight Pass junkie
I have let credits expire (like an idiot), and paid to extend a couple passes. So, I presume I should not opt-out of the class? Any thoughts?
Old Jul 5, 2021, 5:00 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by YVR72
I have let credits expire (like an idiot), and paid to extend a couple passes. So, I presume I should not opt-out of the class? Any thoughts?
If you opt out, you could still pursue AC individually. But you would lose the right to benefit from whatever settlement the class action might generate from AC.

Not that I or anyone else here should be providing you legal advice
Old Jul 5, 2021, 9:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
I honestly can't remember if I purchased any credit passes during this timeframe... but I do know that I have purchased some before. I guess I'll find out!
Old Jul 6, 2021, 7:34 am

Programs: AC SE 1MM
Originally Posted by thaddaeus
Just hope this doesn't kill Flight Passes.
That is my concern as well. I understand why the gift card legislation had to occur and I see how they are trying to frame these as gift cards. But I think there are also clear differences. Most gift cards are cash (even when they translate into some other currency or form) and they are a "card" virtual or otherwise you can give to other people.

I see flight passes as a volume discount. You agree to purchase a set number of flights in a period of time and you get benefits extended to you for that (price certainty, discounts, other fringe benefits).

I would hate to see if the legislation prevails that Air Canada simply discontinues the program

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.