Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TAP Portugal Business Class

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2017, 7:14 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E75
Originally Posted by Bonaventure
I've flown TAP in their old J a few times, and was certainly not impressed with seat, service, airport ops, food, loung, or anything. I'd imagine their new J to be on par with BA J, that is, at the bottom of the barrel.
Same here!
Old Sep 12, 2017, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
https://www.businesstraveller.com/fe...ns-new-routes/
Old Sep 12, 2017, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by mapleg
I looked in one of the blogs referenced upstream and saw this gem:

As it turns out, TAP doesn’t have a lounge at its main hub airport, opting to partner with a contract lounge, instead. Ouch!

I mean, that's just hilarious. Can't even have their own lounge at their hub which is also the largest city in the country.
Well, at one point there was definitely a flagship schengen TP lounge at LIS... perhaps they are referring to international?
Old Sep 12, 2017, 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by yyznomad
Well, at one point there was definitely a flagship schengen TP lounge at LIS... perhaps they are referring to international?
No you get put into the ANA (not to be confused with the airline) lounge at LIS no matter who you're flying. It's insane in there, I went inside, saw how busy it was, and just left. There's no lounge after you exit schengen. Having said that, be sure to leave the lounge early as the queue to leave the schengen is just as bad to get into Lisbon from a non-schengen country. I waiting 50 minutes one time to get out.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 9:17 am

Programs: AC E, SPG, HH
isn't there a new TAP premium lounge in LIS?

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/othe...ge-lisbon.html

I've also been wondering about the TAP business class. It seems flights from LIS-USA have the new business class lie flat, and they are refurbishing the rest of the fleet. Not sure when or if the YYZ-LIS flight will get it however. They do seem to be rebranding themselves and my search of recent reviews seems to show the service is much improved and hard product is quite good for the new design. I have a flight next summer 2018 and I'm hoping they have upgraded the YYZ flight by then.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by uni818
isn't there a new TAP premium lounge in LIS?

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/othe...ge-lisbon.html

I've also been wondering about the TAP business class. It seems flights from LIS-USA have the new business class lie flat, and they are refurbishing the rest of the fleet. Not sure when or if the YYZ-LIS flight will get it however. They do seem to be rebranding themselves and my search of recent reviews seems to show the service is much improved and hard product is quite good for the new design. I have a flight next summer 2018 and I'm hoping they have upgraded the YYZ flight by then.
Same - we have a flight May 2018. From what I've read, most of the poor service reported is intra Europe flights. As you mentioned, they are going through a refresh and from what I understand (hope) is that flights from NA will get the upgraded lie flat seats. The YQ, although not as good as some (TK, Swiss) is not bad when compared to AC. LIS is where we want to visit so for us it made since to fly TAP.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Motoss
Same - we have a flight May 2018. From what I've read, most of the poor service reported is intra Europe flights. As you mentioned, they are going through a refresh and from what I understand (hope) is that flights from NA will get the upgraded lie flat seats. The YQ, although not as good as some (TK, Swiss) is not bad when compared to AC. LIS is where we want to visit so for us it made since to fly TAP.
We flew TAP LIS-FRA last February. I actually like their business class better than LH. Food not too bad and decent Portuguese wines.

And as other already said, I believe their YYZ flight should be lie flat.

They used to have a very nice lounge at LIS, but alas now it's crappy.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 2:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AMX CENT
Thanks again - following everyone's advice I was able to secure business class flights on Turkish Airlines in both directions with one stop over in IST so I could spend time in the lounge The dates worked out perfectly.

The only stipulation was that the flights are leaving from JFK which means I'll have to get there is not a big deal since we love NYC.

All in I spent $204 CDN dollars on taxes and fees. I think I did very well even if I have to pay to fly to JFK.

Much appreciated!
Old Sep 13, 2017, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by alveoli0
Thanks again - following everyone's advice I was able to secure business class flights on Turkish Airlines in both directions with one stop over in IST so I could spend time in the lounge The dates worked out perfectly.

The only stipulation was that the flights are leaving from JFK which means I'll have to get there is not a big deal since we love NYC.

All in I spent $204 CDN dollars on taxes and fees. I think I did very well even if I have to pay to fly to JFK.

Much appreciated!
Enjoy the TK *G lounge at IST!

I also get a chuckle when comparing the thread title to the final outcome.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 2:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AMX CENT
Yes so do I.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 8:10 am

Programs: AC 100K, AC 2MM, SAS Diamond, AA P; Avis CM
I flew CPH-LIS-YYZ two weeks ago in J--over all a C+/B-. Fine for the day flight back from Europe, but I wouldn't do the reverse. It was super cheap though for transatlantic J: round trip $1734.00 cdn. (although the flights from YYZ, are only a couple of times a week).

The inter-European portion was quite good (about on par with LH/LX): new plane (a320), proper meal service, good service, middle seat removed, separated cabin (curtain). Would definitely take this again

The TAP Lounge in Lisbon I gather is just newly reopened in July:

-The design is outstanding--bold, open, vibrant colours (although may not be to everyone's taste), open lay out, lot's of light.
-easy to find--above the main food court in the Schengen area.
-really good food selection and nice presentation, separate bar with bartender
-wifi was good.

Negatives are a lack of privacy, the seating is a bit uncomfortable, and it's already showing a little bit of wear after two months. It's bit like a W hotel--not really designed with the business traveler or family in mind.

The transition into non-Schengen was easy. E-readers for EU and North American passports/no line up at the manned control either. It was a long hike from the lounge to the YYZ gate--about 10 minutes--and the food selection/shops were very limited after passport control (if you want to buy anything, do it before).

The hard product is the big negative. It's really just PE on an old plane. A 2/2/2 configuration with angled seats (same as the old LH "blue" J) and the cabin was full. I found it tight with someone next to me. The service was good, the food was quite good with an excellent wine selection, the inflight entertainment was also on par with AC, LH, etc.. (same provider)

I understand TAP is flying the reconfigured between LIS and the US, I'd definitely give that a try, but this configuration is on the LIS-YYZ route into '18 and I wouldn't fly it again.

(on the plus side, I credited these miles to Eurobonus and got 200% for the trip...so for a comfortable mileage run, it's a pretty good option -- 20K for return transatlantic)
Old Sep 16, 2017, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Excellent review, we are also booked CPH_LIS_YYZ in J July 1, 2018 which will earn us 200% mileage into the M&B program.

For the LIS-YYZ segment did you get the lie flat or the angled seats? How was food, drinks and service onboard. Ok re-read and you answered all questions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.