Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question: Stopover vs Layover

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2017, 9:53 am
Original Poster

Stopover vs Layover

I know if you are in a city for less than 24 hours it does not count as a stop. What about if it is exactly 24 hours i.e. my first flight is scheduled to land at 2pm on Day 1 and my second flight is scheduled to leave at 2pm on Day 2.

Thanks
Old Sep 8, 2017, 10:11 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
AC IT will crash because they don't know <= or >= operators?
Old Sep 8, 2017, 10:12 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
You answered it yourself:

Originally Posted by mahoogalah
if you are in a city for less than 24 hours it does not count as a stop
24 hours exactly is not 'less than 24 hours' and is therefore a stopover
YYC009 likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2017, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by mahoogalah
I know if you are in a city for less than 24 hours it does not count as a stop. What about if it is exactly 24 hours i.e. my first flight is scheduled to land at 2pm on Day 1 and my second flight is scheduled to leave at 2pm on Day 2.

Thanks
Were you able to book it?
Old Sep 14, 2017, 2:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 1Newflyer
Were you able to book it?
Haven't tried yet. Seats not available yet but I have been meaning to try a dummy booking to check the 24hr rule, if my routing is valid, and how much the taxes and fees are.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 12:23 am

Programs: American Exec Plat, Hyatt Refugeeist, Marriot Gold, Air Canada Cattle Class, Korean Air Morning Plat
I once asked a very similar question. A stopover (according to the Air Canada rules and regulations) means you cannot leave the airport. A layover is a set visit on your way to your destination, you are able to leave the airport.

Seeing as most AC employees don't care where you are, where you go and what you do as long as it is away from them, I have no idea who/when/if they ever figure out you left the airport on a stopover.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 1:05 am

Programs: *$ Green
Originally Posted by The smallest state
I once asked a very similar question. A stopover (according to the Air Canada rules and regulations) means you cannot leave the airport. A layover is a set visit on your way to your destination, you are able to leave the airport.

Seeing as most AC employees don't care where you are, where you go and what you do as long as it is away from them, I have no idea who/when/if they ever figure out you left the airport on a stopover.
I think it would mostly depend on airport availability, and the airport would need to have a separate aiport for each passengers.

I think that if AC cannot provide separate airports, then they shouldnt allow stopovers.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 2:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond

You have that backwards. Stopovers can last months.

But it's still wrong. I have a 7 hour layover coming up. AC is giving me a free, off-airport hotel. Hard to use it without leaving the airport.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 2:58 pm

Programs: American Exec Plat, Hyatt Refugeeist, Marriot Gold, Air Canada Cattle Class, Korean Air Morning Plat
Originally Posted by canadiancow
AC is giving me a free, off-airport hotel. Hard to use it without leaving the airport.
Best Humble Brag I have seen on here since the start of summer. Hopefully you won't have to share with any unaccompanied minors.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 3:03 pm

Yeah Cow. Stop humble bragging.

How can you have the audacity to talk about various airline products you purchase?
Old Sep 15, 2017, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
AC is giving me a free, off-airport hotel. Hard to use it without leaving the airport.
He hasn't bought anything.........
Old Sep 15, 2017, 3:18 pm

whaaaat?
Thanks to plethora of bloggers (and sky rocketting of taxes/fees) even casual international award travellers are now aware of layover/stopover.

and leaving the airport has nothing to do whether you are on stopover or layover!!!

Really surprising the need of some people to go to flyertalk and post WRONG information.

I may not be 100% sure but beleive following definitions are correct:
(for single ticket)

US Domestic Connections
less than 4 hours is layover otherwise it is a stopover

International Connections (for most US based airlines and most likely others too)
less than 24 hours is layover otherwise it is stopover.

Ability to leave secured sterile area is based on visa regulations as applicable to the traveller in the region where airport is located

Ability to leave airport after that is a common sense driven logistics issue.

Please STOP posting wrong information. ("Fake Post")
Old Sep 15, 2017, 3:33 pm

Implicit through stopover program. Anyone with J can get it.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 3:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Best Humble Brag I have seen on here since the start of summer. Hopefully you won't have to share with any unaccompanied minors.
Originally Posted by SparseFlyer
Yeah Cow. Stop humble bragging.

How can you have the audacity to talk about various airline products you purchase?
I bought a J fare with a layover in YYZ of over 6 hours. This entitles me to a free hotel room.

Or should I also humble brag that I get free Bacardi on all my flights
Old Sep 16, 2017, 10:33 am

................no, your humble brag about a free hotel AC was going to get you was way better than a Bacardi

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.