Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

At BNA, Air Canada doesn't bother to show - 15 miss flight!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

At BNA, Air Canada doesn't bother to show - 15 miss flight!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2017, 12:40 pm

One thing some people still don't seem to get..your contractor's issues are *your* issues.
CZAMFlyer likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by ffsim
An entirely reasonable analysis of the situation. Too bad a thread titled "At BNA, contractors manning AC check-in counters don't bother to show - 15 miss flight! ..." appears so much less exciting.
AC didn't show, the title is correct (although I was left initially wondering exactly what part of AC didn't show). The contractor is an internal issue between AC and the contractor and is irrelevant to the passenger relationship with AC. AC doesn't get ANY slack because it was not a direct employee involved.
susanc likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by robsaw
AC didn't show, the title is correct (although I was left initially wondering exactly what part of AC didn't show). The contractor is an internal issue between AC and the contractor and is irrelevant to the passenger relationship with AC. AC doesn't get ANY slack because it was not a direct employee involved.
Exactly! Customers don't know, nor do they care, whether it was the airline that messed up or a contractor the airline hired. They are booked on an airline and that is who they are going to blame when things go wrong. It is helpful to know, but how would this change their mind about being upset with the airline. They booked with an airline to get from Point A to B. If that airline has trouble with their contractors, they need to sort it out. And maybe this doesn't happen often so will not be a big deal. Mistakes happen..that's life...and it looks like the airline is handling it.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 2:15 pm

Programs: AC 50K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by vernonc
You might suspect that but there is no basis for the suspicion if they arrived more than 60 mins before. There was probably one agent who could not process all the checked bags on time and went to the gate. Note that AC is rebooking all passengers and has not thrown them under the proverbial bus which would lead me to believe that the passengers were correct.
Of course AC is ready-booking them. They have AC tickets. Their other option was to buy a new ticket.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 2:30 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by 172pilot
Of course AC is ready-booking them. They have AC tickets. Their other option was to buy a new ticket.
Off course. But if the passengers were late, AC would have mentioned it and said they were rebooking as a sign of goodwill. The fact that they quietly admit that they will rebook likely means someone did not show at the airport so the solitary agent left the checkin passengers and went to either meet the incoming flight or prepare for departure.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 2:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jazzsax

How to deal with issues with AC:

- tweet to the world
- call CBC
Well, if you don't have status, nothing else works.
susanc likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vernonc
Off course. But if the passengers were late, AC would have mentioned it and said they were rebooking as a sign of goodwill.
In a response to a tweet? Really?

BTW the tweet does not say the agents did not show up. Merely that there was no agent there when these passengers arrived.

Likely a situation where the same agents move from check in to boarding after the cutoff, because it's a small station and that's enough people. And that they had already left when these passengers arrived.

Whether the agents left a but early or whether the passengers arrived late we don't know at this point. We have only heard one side of the story really. So better to keep an open mind until/if details get clarified.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 3:06 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by ffsim
An entirely reasonable analysis of the situation. Too bad a thread titled "At BNA, contractors manning AC check-in counters don't bother to show - 15 miss flight! ..." appears so much less exciting.
It's not an analysis.

It's speculation based on an acknowledged assumption.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 3:06 pm

Programs: Back of the bus
Lets just say twitter is always right. Look at Donald Trump. Isn't everything he tweets 100% truth? :P
Old Aug 31, 2017, 3:08 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by The Lev
Given the low volume of passengers flying AC from there, I'm assuming that ground staff at BNA would be sub-contracted at BNA, so this is a subcontractor issue that unfortunately impacted 15 passengers. I presume AC will be taking steps with the contractor to avoid a repeat.
So it's not Air Canada's fault?
Old Aug 31, 2017, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by KenHamer
So it's not Air Canada's fault?
Unless they chose a fly-by-night contractor, no it is not their fault.

To pose/answer the question slightly differently, I would say that Air Canada has the ultimate accountability (which differs from fault) and further that this is moot because what really matters is the customer's perception and the customer does not differentiate between Air Canada and its subcontractor - the customer blames Air Canada.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 3:31 pm
Original Poster

"Unless they chose a fly-by-night contractor, no it is not their fault. "

If the contractor screwed up, t is their fault, fly-by-night or not.
susanc likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 3:51 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Originally Posted by 172pilot

AC is no different than other airlines. I was 1 minute late to check-in with UA at YYZ and was told they could not do it.
3 minutes late to UA at YEG, still got my luggage checked in. 15 minutes late to AA at PHL () and still got checked in. With most other airlines, it's a question of how much they want to help you. With AC, even if they want to, they can't.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 4:00 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Does AC allow OLCI and never seeing an agent for USA-Canada transborder flights? What about curbside bag check at BNA for such a flight? I'm a bit surprised that 35 customers were able to do OLCI and get to the gate when there were no staff at the counter.
I've done it but only once with AC as I nearly always bag drop. They did a call at gate to check roller size but the only ID check was at boarding, I went straight from curb to security. And there were three of us.

As to AC I've been stuck in a non status line for AC a few years ago with about 100 other people and no sign of AC. They finally turned up about 90 mins before the flight... Its all well and good to say did no one call but this is a FF forum. I'm sure a few SE with concierge numbers could have helped, and now I'd probably be posting "any ideas" ... but airport security? I believe they'd say it was the airlines responsibility.

Of course, I always try to OLCI. When AC doesn't stop me for IT or residency reasons.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 4:21 pm
formerly sahiljain22

Programs: Amex Plat; HH Diamond; SPG Plat; Hyatt Diamond; United 1K; National EE; HSBC Premier
This happened to me once in MDT. There was 1 agent in the entire airport for aircanada. I hadn't done online checkin and the website won't let me since I reached the counter with 45 minutes to spare. I was told by Airport security that the 1 agent 1 hour before the flight leaves the checkin counter to become a gate agent. He cannot leave the gate and come back and help me. They did overhead page for him 1-2 times. Calling aircanada wasnt helpful as they said its upto airport agent at this point. Since I don't have a boarding pass, I am basically sc***wed. MDT is a very small airport, 15 minutes is more than enough to catch a flight.

Had to cancel (luckily was booked with UA points) and rebook on a UA flight leaving in 10 minutes (check in), fly to ORD and connect to YYZ from there.

Lesson learnt, always webcheckin for air canada.

I blame AC for this. There is a reason I live and work in Canada and am a United 1K with no air canada status

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.