Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Out of food in business class

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2017, 3:02 am

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Princess Elite
Originally Posted by Diabeetus
I've not had my first meal choice in J a number times when not a SE.

The one time I did not have my first meal choice in J as a SE was flying to NRT, when the ground crew dropped the cart with the Japanese meal trays on the floor.
Dropped the cart? Like the whole cart? I'd be interested in hearing how that happened.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 3:20 am

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Originally Posted by yyz_atc_qq
Dropped the cart? Like the whole cart? I'd be interested in hearing how that happened.
The SD was super apologetic about the lack of Japanese meal on the flight. I didn't ask the exact details, but apparently it happened when they were loading it onto the plane. I've never heard of such a thing happening. Maybe they tipped it over on its side?

I was a little sad about it as 24L had been hyping up the meal to me, and in turn, I had been hyping it up to my family (wife and my parents, all in J).
Old Aug 25, 2017, 5:50 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
A galley has finite space, and regrettably there are not unlimited options and guaranteed choice on any airline. Besides space constraints, provisioning is also based on consumption patterns and can vary greatly from flight to flight. On a recent inbound TPAC flight (29J Customers) there was an entire cake untouched from dinner, substantial leftover cheese, ice cream, barely touched snack and fruit baskets, requests by only 4 Customers for mid-flight snacks and breakfast declined by 6.

(Granted this was not a ravenous group).

I'm guessing the brunch options on the OP's flight consisted of omelette, congee and some type of stir-fry.
So the amount of food is constrained by galley storage space? Ie when catered for a full cabin the galley is completely full? That seems like poor design, doesn't AC think it might need to change the dimensions of its catering at some point without having to rebuild the galley?
Old Aug 25, 2017, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by eigenvector
So the amount of food is constrained by galley storage space? Ie when catered for a full cabin the galley is completely full? That seems like poor design, doesn't AC think it might need to change the dimensions of its catering at some point without having to rebuild the galley?
Airlines dont stock food over 200+% (i.e. 100% choice 1, 100% choice 2 etc). Its a combo of different options and diff % based on past experiences & forecast preferences. Sometimes people may be bummed out of luck.

Heck had this happening to me on SQ, AC, VIA Rail
Old Aug 25, 2017, 8:01 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by global_happy_traveller
Airlines dont stock food over 200+% (i.e. 100% choice 1, 100% choice 2 etc). Its a combo of different options and diff % based on past experiences & forecast preferences. Sometimes people may be bummed out of luck.

Heck had this happening to me on SQ, AC, VIA Rail
Right but I would expect the % over 100 to be a business decision not "we physically can't fit one more meal on the plane".
Old Aug 25, 2017, 8:19 am
Suspended

Programs: yes
Originally Posted by canadiancow
p.p.s. I'm sick of FOTSGs like you claiming you know everything from your one round trip on AC.
Living up to the "cow" username.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 9:26 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by kylejaymes
I guess you didn't get the joke since cow said this to yyznomad, the one who coined the term FOTSG.

Inside jokes can be fun, but I'll admit that that they can also be confusing too.

Back on topic... If the original poster comes back (PLEASE COME BACK), then maybe we'll get clearer details on what went wrong. Whether it truly was a "no food" situation, or just "no food that he wanted to eat". My son has gotten stuck with no food that he wanted to eat... all the more for me. Can you tell he's a third child? The kids TATL breakfast of a muffin is much better than the dreaded banana bread anyway.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 9:51 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by The smallest state
The issue is being missed by a lot of posters. Yes, food can be exhausted or the FA's chow down on the good stuff leaving the VGML, the Bland Meal, the Kosher Meal or the Muslim Meal for the people in J.

It's the fact that AC flight attendants didn't even remotely apologize. In their unique "we're primarily here for your safety, you need to deal with it" manner they simply slapped down what ever scraps were left and wandered off to finish their conversations with the other crew.

Every company runs out of something or is left in a tight position, it's how you handle it with the customers that count. A lot of AC employees, simply don't care.
​​​​​
So, OP drops a semi-coherent rant that's unclear as to exactly what AC ran out of, and your automatic conclusion is that AC provided terrible service?

Based on the limited information in the OP, I'm willing to bet that they were out of OP's first choice and OP reacted poorly to that and that while an apology was offered (as it always has been, in my experience), did not get the grovelling response from the FA that OP expected.

Of course, OP has not shared many details and may never be back.
​​​
Originally Posted by painintheuk
I'm going to say all of the above! Never seen or been offered or served. Maybe just some TPAC and not China? My memory gets fuzzy some days, so I may well have just forgotten. I do love cake, though, so I think I would have remembered!
Cake was served on my last couple of TPACs, YYC-NRT and YVR-TPE. It's pretty good, actually.

Originally Posted by canadiancow
p.p.s. I'm sick of FOTSGs like you claiming you know everything from your one round trip on AC.
Round trip? I thought he flew AC one way and WS the other?

What's really outrageous is yyznomad commenting on international flights. I bet in his last 300 flights (if he has even done that many in his life!), he hasn't flown anything but domestic.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 10:04 am

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by smallmj
Back on topic... If the original poster comes back (PLEASE COME BACK), then maybe we'll get clearer details on what went wrong. Whether it truly was a "no food" situation, or just "no food that he wanted to eat".
C'mon, this is FT! We don't need no stinkin' facts ... a single post is all it takes to spin up a 5+ page thread

However, the OP does pretty clearly say "I wanted something with meat, they were all out of it" ... so I think the issue was one of choice. It's not hard to imagine that of the 4 options that were catered, two were vegetarian & fish ... so running out of "meat" does not seem infeasible at all.

Can we start to speculate about which varieties of wine they ran out of, too?
smallmj likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 10:06 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by canopus27
C'mon, this is FT! ........ a single post is all it takes to spin up a 5+ page thread ......
^
Old Aug 25, 2017, 10:34 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by eigenvector
Right but I would expect the % over 100 to be a business decision not "we physically can't fit one more meal on the plane".
YVR-TPE is GC distance, just shy of 6000mi. First hit from ac.com it is a 787-9, with a range of 9550 mi. Since distance is time, and time requires food, assuming that the galley was designed for the maximum range, we can assume the A/C in question could take 50% more food than was necessary for this route.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 10:41 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Back on topic... If the original poster comes back (PLEASE COME BACK), then maybe we'll get clearer details on what went wrong. Whether it truly was a "no food" situation, or just "no food that he wanted to eat". My son has gotten stuck with no food that he wanted to eat... all the more for me. Can you tell he's a third child? The kids TATL breakfast of a muffin is much better than the dreaded banana bread anyway.
Flying across the ocean in business class on dads coin, and they don't have the breakfast he wants. Talk about first world problems.

Seems like a good object lesson. How much did you slip the SD to make it happen?
Old Aug 25, 2017, 10:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by kylejaymes

I guess you didn't get the joke since cow said this to yyznomad, the one who coined the term FOTSG.

Inside jokes can be fun, but I'll admit that that they can also be confusing too.
Agreed. But that's why it wasn't the main part of my post
Old Aug 25, 2017, 11:05 am

Programs: American Exec Plat, Hyatt Refugeeist, Marriot Gold, Air Canada Cattle Class, Korean Air Morning Plat
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
​​​​​
So, OP drops a semi-coherent rant that's unclear as to exactly what AC ran out of, and your automatic conclusion is that AC provided terrible service?

Based on the limited information in the OP, I'm willing to bet that they were out of OP's first choice and OP reacted poorly to that and that while an apology was offered (as it always has been, in my experience), did not get the grovelling response from the FA that OP expected.
Yes, my conclusion was AC provided less than stellar (IE - typical for AC) service. Now my conclusion was aided when the OP indicated

Originally Posted by Twboy1999
The flight attendants were pretty much useless and didn't apologize or anything
So I wouldn't say it was my conclusion, it was my reading of the OP's post. Sadly Adam, AC has a fairly low service offering, especially on the Asian routes when competing with an Asian carrier.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 11:08 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
So assuming it's a lack of first choice... I've only not gotten my first choice once, in any class, and was right at the back of the plane. So I think it's worth mentioning where you were sat when you didn't get your first choice... I normally book flights reasonably far out and sit close to the front.

That said, I've been sat in 14K PY before and still gotten my first choice; and given it was a choice between some Chicken meal and other Mushroom Risotto that was a surprise to me.

Now if the plane failed to have any food, that is unacceptable.
Of course, food is a subjective term with AC so maybe that's the issue

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.