Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

No coffee when the SB light is on? Seriously?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2017, 7:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS, DL, UA, AC, Nexus, TSA Pre

So I flew PDX -> YYZ yesterday on AC 546 in Y and the FAs refused to serve coffee until the SB light was turned off. Now that would make sense during heavy chop, like when the captain asks the FA's to be seated, but it wasn't like that. The chop was very light, barely noticeable, and had been that way for some time.

Is this a new AC policy? The FA's said they were not allowed to do it because AC could be sued and that the policy had always been such. As one who's flown AC all over the world off and on for the last 30 yrs, that sure smells like BS.

nrg
Old Aug 14, 2017, 7:29 am

Programs: AC*SEMM, *G, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
That one has been a little inconsistent. With turbulence (expected or real),hot drinks service is often discontinued. I have seen a few exceptions sometimes being made in J, and there has been times where the SD has been proactive and made the announcement over the PA system that there would not be a hot beverage service
Old Aug 14, 2017, 7:47 am

Originally Posted by nrgiii
So I flew PDX -> YYZ yesterday on AC 546 in Y and the FAs refused to serve coffee until the SB light was turned off. Now that would make sense during heavy chop, like when the captain asks the FA's to be seated, but it wasn't like that. The chop was very light, barely noticeable, and had been that way for some time.

Is this a new AC policy? The FA's said they were not allowed to do it because AC could be sued and that the policy had always been such. As one who's flown AC all over the world off and on for the last 30 yrs, that sure smells like BS.

nrg
not new, has been like that for as long as I remember. I even had a flight I got a coffee, then the light dinged as it went on and my neighbour was not allowed coffee even though I just got one.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 7:58 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Blanket prohibition when the seatbelt light is on? Never heard that before. When the chop is heavy, sure, sometimes they'll stop or delay hot beverage service, but if it's a policy for no hot beverages when the seatbelt light is on, I've seen that ignored dozens or hundreds of times.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 8:02 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Its not new but it has been inconsistently enforced. I have noticed several flights recently where they announced no hot beverages while the SB light is on so perhaps some new directive enforcing policy, perhaps someone got burnt and complained.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 8:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS, DL, UA, AC, Nexus, TSA Pre
Originally Posted by vernonc
Its not new but it has been inconsistently enforced. I have noticed several flights recently where they announced no hot beverages while the SB light is on so perhaps some new directive enforcing policy, perhaps someone got burnt and complained.
I suspect it's enforced more in Y than J. I'm in J on the way back so it will be interesting to see if they will serve me coffee when we cross the Rockies.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 8:56 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Having had the experience of a hot coffee spilled on me by an FA when the aircraft was hit with a clear air turbulence bump I can understand why they would curtail service when passengers are required to have seat belts on.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 9:03 am

Programs: AC*G-E100K (once again)
Originally Posted by nrgiii
I suspect it's enforced more in Y than J. I'm in J on the way back so it will be interesting to see if they will serve me coffee when we cross the Rockies.
I've never experienced turbulence over the Rockies. Only thunder Bay.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 9:15 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
It's standard on BA that no hot drinks will be served anywhere on the aircraft when the seat belt sign is on. Of course, when BA pilots turn the sign on they really mean it.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 9:34 am

Programs: Aeroplan (Silver), Air Miles, IHG Rewards (Platinum)
Same for SQ. No hot beverages once the light goes on. Part of the announcement explains this too.

You are right... a lot more spotty on AC. But then you don't know how severe the chop may or may not be or what the CA/FO/SD was told to expect. Your version of 'slight chop' may be very different from the aircraft ten minutes ahead that reported 'severe chop'. It will always be hard to predict. I prefer to error on the side of caution.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

At the very least, this should be up to the crew.

Should be their judgement.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 9:55 am

Programs: AA, AC
I'm happy that FAs are not reaching over me with a container of hot liquid while there's an expectation of turbulence. I would expect that most people would agree. Passengers who react with "seriously?" to safety being prudently put ahead of their "right" to be served a hot beverage shouldn't have a say in this.

Originally Posted by Stranger
At the very least, this should be up to the crew.

Should be their judgement.
It should be, and it is.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Blanket prohibition when the seatbelt light is on? Never heard that before. When the chop is heavy, sure, sometimes they'll stop or delay hot beverage service, but if it's a policy for no hot beverages when the seatbelt light is on, I've seen that ignored dozens or hundreds of times.
It is ignored in J, but I can assure in Y it is enforced 90% of the time regardless of how non existent the chop is at any given time. Quite often the Y crew are militant and bark at you if you dare ask for a hot beverage while the seatbelt sign is on, even if no or little chop for 20 minutes and everyone has forgotten the seatbelt sign had been on for that long.

- FOTSG
Old Aug 14, 2017, 10:16 am

Programs: AC E75 / Marriott Titanium Elite
I've noticed this policy has been enforced far more consistently in recent times than it had been previously. It is also been the practice on 7F flights I've taken in the past year or two - I never notice before, so I'm guessing it's somewhat new policy or application of policy for both AC/7F.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Of course, one could say safety first! But only in Y.

Having said that... I kind of understand why they are strict in Y and more relaxed about it in J.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.