Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

No coffee when the SB light is on? Seriously?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No coffee when the SB light is on? Seriously?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2017, 1:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC
Originally Posted by djjaguar64
You forgot this part:

Go to your stations and pull out the latest gossip magazine to read. Ignore all customers.
That's not really called for.

I, for one, am thankful that generally speaking the flight attendants don't just duck and hide from customers once the seat belt light comes on. If SOP is indeed what ACYYZ/SD posted (and no reason to doubt that), then it seems logical and fair and I do appreciate flight attendants who use discretion and continue service.

I very much enjoy a nice cup of coffee as I fly over the Rockies when flying from Toronto to Vancouver. There's usually a bit of chop over the Rockies as well and I typically get a nice hot cup of coffee while I appreciate the beautiful scenery. ^
DNAwizard likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by longtimeflyin
That's not really called for.

I, for one, am thankful that generally speaking the flight attendants don't just duck and hide from customers once the seat belt light comes on. If SOP is indeed what ACYYZ/SD posted (and no reason to doubt that), then it seems logical and fair and I do appreciate flight attendants who use discretion and continue service.

I very much enjoy a nice cup of coffee as I fly over the Rockies when flying from Toronto to Vancouver. There's usually a bit of chop over the Rockies as well and I typically get a nice hot cup of coffee while I appreciate the beautiful scenery. ^
I am not making this up, I have seen this on their long haul flights, let alone turbulence, so please enjoy your cuppa when you get it.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 4:05 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
I am not making this up, I have seen this on their long haul flights, let alone turbulence, so please enjoy your cuppa when you get it.
Get up to use the washroom, normally wakes em up
Old Aug 15, 2017, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

wow now a different twist

http://markets.businessinsider.com/n...ampaign=buffer
Old Aug 15, 2017, 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by longtimeflyin
I very much enjoy a nice cup of coffee as I fly over the Rockies when flying from Toronto to Vancouver.
I wouldn't use the adjective "nice" to describe AC coffee. It's just the most convenient source of caffeine on board.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
lol there's nothing wrong with any crew taking a break, especially on long hauls yo!
Old Aug 16, 2017, 5:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yyznomad
lol there's nothing wrong with any crew taking a break, especially on long hauls yo!
Agreed, taking a break is part & parcel of the job but doing so intentionally is not! I have seen crews on Asian airlines long hauls, they are yes, taking a break in their cabins or constantly looking after their passengers.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 7:59 am

Programs: AC E75 / Marriott Titanium Elite
You forgot this part:

Go to your stations and pull out the latest gossip magazine to read. Ignore all customers.
If anything, this SOP creates more work since FAs need to keep doing beverage service, then go back to those that wanted coffee/tea when the seatbelt sign goes off. Of course there are those who never do go back, but we have bad apples everywhere.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YZF_Elite
If anything, this SOP creates more work since FAs need to keep doing beverage service, then go back to those that wanted coffee/tea when the seatbelt sign goes off. Of course there are those who never do go back, but we have bad apples everywhere.
Agreed, how does one get rid of the bad apples? It should be the responsibility of the SD's. I have overheard many crew esp AC talking about which flights they want to do so as to maximize their time, never once have I heard them say, I'd like to provide the best customer experience for AC's customers! So if thats all they want their hours, then I don't think the customers are their # 1 priority.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 1:50 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Agreed, taking a break is part & parcel of the job but doing so intentionally is not! I have seen crews on Asian airlines long hauls, they are yes, taking a break in their cabins or constantly looking after their passengers.
Very rarely have I ever accidentally taken a break.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RangerNS
Lord have mercy on you, you are one in a million and not that bad apple.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 4:16 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
Light Turbulence
Remove and Stow hot beverages from carts. Discontinue hot beverage service until seat belt sign has been turned off and turbulence has passed.

The S.O.P. should be self explanatory.
Thanks for providing us with the details on SOP
Old Aug 16, 2017, 6:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by RangerNS
^

Lord have mercy on you, you are one in a million and not that bad apple.
????

How do you accidentally take a break?

Edit: I tried to find a clip to a video, but this reminds me of the Simpsons. "I accuse the phone company of making that film on purpose!"
Old Aug 17, 2017, 1:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS, DL, UA, AC, Nexus, TSA Pre
Agreed, how does one get rid of the bad apples? It should be the responsibility of the SD's.
What about when it's the SD taking breaks? That's what happened on the way back to PDX last night. I was in J and after dinner the SD sat behind the curtain reading her magazine for very long stretches. A few pax walked up to ask for water and drink refills but she never took the hint. Before anyone starts lighting torches, I'm NOT saying she can't take breaks or sit down. However she should at least take a walk through the J cabin every 15 mins or so to see if anyone needs something. Doesn't seem like too much to expect in J.

nrg
Old Aug 17, 2017, 3:35 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by nrgiii
However she should at least take a walk through the J cabin every 15 mins or so to see if anyone needs something. Doesn't seem like too much to expect in J.
I would agree. And not just for the PAX. I would call it "strategic laziness" If I'm going to hide for a bit, in an environment I really cant hide in, I'll make sure everything is topped off and good to go before I hide.

Life skills.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.