Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: About reward flight change

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question: About reward flight change

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2017, 10:56 am
Original Poster

About reward flight change

The cs told me I can change any segments as long as it's more than 2 hours.

For a trip with 3 stopover, e.g. Nrt hnl SFO lax nrt, when I arrived at hnl, can I call them to change my remaining flight to ogg SFO instead of hnl SFO?
Old Aug 12, 2017, 11:01 am

The entire itinerary must be 'revalidated', and remain valid. On an "Asia 1" redemption, you are allowed 2 stopovers in addition to the point of turnaround.

So presuming you have:

NRT-HNL (stop) - SFO (stop) - LAX (dest) - NRT

You could change this, subject to availability to:

NRT - HNL (open jaw) OGG - SFO (stop) - LAX (dest) - NRT

Should work. Assuming there's inventory on OGG-SFO, of course. Which there might not be.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 12:10 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by pitz
Should work. Assuming there's inventory on OGG-SFO, of course. Which there might not be.
Of course, if this itinerary hasn't yet been booked (which I suspect it hasn't since OP was asking about it yesterday), better to just book the open-jaw HNL/OGG in the first place rather than incurring change fees.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 12:52 pm
Original Poster

Thank you guys. Thank you Adam. I was told I can't book NRT HNL then OGG SFO. The lady told me the open jaw should be either at the original like NRT HNL, HNL KIX or at the destination like NRT HNL SFO, then LAX NRT.

So if what pitz mentioned is true, I guess I'll have to buy a ticket from OGG to HNL and fly from HNL (which sucks).
Old Aug 12, 2017, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by Keisuke Himuro
Thank you guys. Thank you Adam. I was told I can't book NRT HNL then OGG SFO. The lady told me the open jaw should be either at the original like NRT HNL, HNL KIX or at the destination like NRT HNL SFO, then LAX NRT.
I've personally never heard of such a restriction. AFAIK, the open jaws or stopovers can be pretty much anywhere, providing you don't break the other rules such as MPM which isn't very likely on that itinerary.

Maybe someone else can verify, but I think you were just fed a line from "The lady".
Old Aug 12, 2017, 2:28 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
I don't know whether that's true or not, may be worth a HUCA, or perhaps someone will come along with more knowledge than me and pitz who will agree with the agent.

Either way, if it's not a valid itinerary for booking it now, it won't be a valid itinerary for a change after travel has started, so you may just have to buy a revenue ticket NHL-OGG-HNL. That's like $160 on HA though, so it really shouldn't be that big a deal, especially since you were presumably already going to spend half that doing HNL-OGG...
Old Aug 12, 2017, 2:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I've been told by an Aeroplan agent, specifically in relation to a HNL/OGG open jaw, that it had to be at the origin or destination.

She got nasty when I mentioned IATA zones.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 6:03 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
I have run into the "O/J must be at origin or point of turnaround" restriction before. Haven't seen it in writing anywhere, though. Luckily, OGG HNL is a quick, cheap hop on Island Air or Hawaiian.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 7:08 am

Programs: AC 50K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by pitz
The entire itinerary must be 'revalidated', and remain valid. On an "Asia 1" redemption, you are allowed 2 stopovers in addition to the point of turnaround.

So presuming you have:

NRT-HNL (stop) - SFO (stop) - LAX (dest) - NRT

You could change this, subject to availability to:

NRT - HNL (open jaw) OGG - SFO (stop) - LAX (dest) - NRT

This is not valid.

You cannot open jaw at a stop. You must open jaw to your destination. Also, I think you can only open jaw / stop once in each direction and the destination must be the furthest point.

You could do NRT-HNL-open jaw-LAX(dest)-SFO(stop)-NRT

Personally I would just buy HNL-OGG-HNL on Hawaiian. The inter-island flights are inexpensive. Probably $150 return and the flight is only 45 minutes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.