Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: What to do with 48k Aeroplan points?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question: What to do with 48k Aeroplan points?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2017, 11:55 am
Original Poster

What to do with 48k Aeroplan points?

Hi,

I've got 48k Aeroplan points.

I tend to fly out of YUL but usually need to go to specific places at specific times. I'd rather take a direct flight when possible so things like mini-RTWs or getting somewhere indirectly for cheap or using points don't appeal to me. I'd rather spend as little time inside a plane as possible (so maybe this is the wrong forum to post to ).

So what's the best way to use my points?

Deciding which ticket I want and then deciding to use points always end up in horrible deals with the points cost and fuel surcharges compared to the cheapest ticket I can find (possibly, not Air Canada).

Things that might be of interest:

- Direct flights to Canada and Europe (usually only at specific dates)
- Class upgrade for flights across continents. Maybe seat selection if I can get in the emergency exit row.
- Anything else to make the trip more comfortable
- An extra checked luggage
- Shipping parcels
- Gift cards

According to FlyerTalk gift cards were alreayd pretty bad deal and just got worse at 0.74 cent per point. Its part of the reason I'm asking now. Trying to decide if I should convert it all to GCs before the deal gets worse.

Another question: how do I book tickets that are not AC with Aeroplan points?

Thanks.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 12:53 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
I'd pay $60 for the extra 2000 points and fly somewhere West like YVR/SEA or SW (SJC/PSP) in J. Having status protects me from insane YQ within NA (I believe, not done it of late)

But that's me.

You could also buy two toasters.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 12:55 pm

Programs: AC E75 / Marriott Titanium Elite
Three short-haul flights? YHZ, ATL, BOS, LGA, DCA, any of those interest you?
Old Aug 3, 2017, 1:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC
Find a way to get 2,000 extra points and fly somewhere domestic/transborder in business class as it's 50,000 miles to redeem.

2000 miles is incredibly easy to get.

Or as another poster suggested, buy 1.8 toasters.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 1:16 pm

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by longtimeflyin
Find a way to get 2,000 extra points and fly somewhere domestic/transborder in business class as it's 50,000 miles to redeem.

2000 miles is incredibly easy to get.

Or as another poster suggested, buy 1.8 toasters.
2,000 miles can be bought for $60 so yeah, pretty easy to get.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 1:19 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jasdou
2,000 miles can be bought for $60 so yeah, pretty easy to get.
I would hardly pay $60 to get the 2,000 miles. That's an incredibly poor return.

AMEX Gold - FYF, 1:1 to Aeroplan
Costco Aeroplan purchases to transfer

I'm just saying that actually paying $60 to get 2,000 miles is actually an incredibly large waste of money given the many other avenues to get these miles.

If one has a TD or CIBC branded Aeroplan card, just add a supplementary cardmember, and I seem to recall that's only $50 for 5,000 miles.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 2:24 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all the responses.

Flying west sounds like an interesting possibility. I'm pretty sure I can think of some other points I can transfer to make up the missing 2000.

However, I don't have any status of any sort. Does that mean I will get a hefty fuel surcharge? What should I expect to pay in the end? How flexible are the dates I can pick?

And honestly, I don't really value flying business over economy for such a short flight. I wouldn't buy business with my own money so its worth less than the price tag to me.

Originally Posted by YZF_Elite
Three short-haul flights? YHZ, ATL, BOS, LGA, DCA, any of those interest you?
Not anymore unfortunately. Maybe YYZ if I can do that? But then again, definitely not three round trips anytime soon.

And I don't quite speak the FlyerTalk lingo. J means business class but toasters mean what? And we're always talking about round trips and not one way, right?
Old Aug 3, 2017, 2:35 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Crianizied
Thanks for all the responses.

Flying west sounds like an interesting possibility. I'm pretty sure I can think of some other points I can transfer to make up the missing 2000.

However, I don't have any status of any sort. Does that mean I will get a hefty fuel surcharge? What should I expect to pay in the end? How flexible are the dates I can pick?

And honestly, I don't really value flying business over economy for such a short flight. I wouldn't buy business with my own money so its worth less than the price tag to me.

Not anymore unfortunately. Maybe YYZ if I can do that? But then again, definitely not three round trips anytime soon.

And I don't quite speak the FlyerTalk lingo. J means business class but toasters mean what? And we're always talking about round trips and not one way, right?
Yes, 50,000 miles is for round trips in business class. YQ, or carrier/fuel surcharge is not that expensive. Budget around $200/ticket.

Sure, it's 25,000 miles round trip in economy class, but you're getting a far less return on your miles by flying in economy, but do as you wish.

When we're talking about toasters, we really mean, toaster. It's just an ongoing joke here on the forum. Toasters have a poor redemption value, so we often joke that a million and ninety miles equals 3 toasters, as an example.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 3:30 pm
Original Poster

Yes, 50,000 miles is for round trips in business class. YQ, or carrier/fuel surcharge is not that expensive. Budget around $200/ticket.

Sure, it's 25,000 miles round trip in economy class, but you're getting a far less return on your miles by flying in economy, but do as you wish.
Two round trips economy is definitely worth more to me than one business class trip. I'm asleep for a good chunk of the flight anyway. Yes, I know the other seats are more comfortable.

When we're talking about toasters, we really mean, toaster. It's just an ongoing joke here on the forum. Toasters have a poor redemption value, so we often joke that a million and ninety miles equals 3 toasters, as an example.
Thanks. Heh, I'm not that desperately in need of toast. I'll just eat my bread raw.

So...just for fun I tried looking up tickets for fictitious dates to YVR and all the fixed mileage flights are terrible! There are far fewer direct flights than aircanada.com and only the ones at bad times in the day are available (like midnight for the return). Same thing for business. It also looks like I have to book ahead of time (more than usual). I think I'd rather pay and have the departures at the "right" time instead.

Fuel surcharges aren't as bad at least.

Is there really nothing else worthwhile I can do with these points? Hotels? Train tickets? Taxi to/from the airport? Car rentals even?

Or suppose the 50,000 points option wasn't available. What's the next best thing?

I also tend to have my tickets paid for half the time which is why upgrades to existing tickets would be good if they were worth the points.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 4:07 pm

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Crianizied
You put bread in it and the bread comes out crisp. It is a term used to (sarcastically) refer to the fact that aeroplan points can be used for merchandise as well as flights.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 4:12 pm

Yeah without status and the options can be limiting on some routes. Booking closer can also yield options as seats are opened up though.

That said, if you are trying to book at say ... December 23rd, or anywhere around big vacation days - including basically the whole of summer options tend to be limited. If you are hsppy
to fly mid week out of season there should be something.

But not under fixed mileage normally.

25k for Y (economy) or 50k for J (business) is round trip. Shorter routes are less miles, YYZ LGA is 7500 in Y I believe. Taxes, excluding certain airports (LHR) are the same regardless of class so price per point is generally better in J but if you can fit into and are happy with a Y seat then yeah you can double up your trips or go with someone else...

Sorey on phone I missed you are a new poster but yes toasters are a internal joke. Most go for about 20k points which for a maybe $60 item is incredibly poor value.

I don't know much about other redemptions but others may.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 4:44 pm

Programs: AC-SE100K MM, BA-S HH-D, MB-G LT Sil, IHG-Plt, Nexus, Global Entry
Shorthaul routes to out-of-the-way or normally expensive routes can be a very good use of miles. YUL-YGR could be one (Īles-de-la-Madeleine) -- there may be others. You have enough miles for you and two friends.
--
13F
Old Aug 3, 2017, 7:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jc94
Yeah without status and the options can be limiting on some routes. Booking closer can also yield options as seats are opened up though.

That said, if you are trying to book at say ... December 23rd, or anywhere around big vacation days - including basically the whole of summer options tend to be limited. If you are hsppy
to fly mid week out of season there should be something.
No, nothing of the sort. I usually want to fly at random specific dates that avoid the Christmas holidays (could be around summer or not).

Closer to departure sounds a bit dangerous for specific dates and hotel bookings though. I guess if hotels are cheap and its a nice place, it doesn't matter as much.

Originally Posted by Seat13F_AC_CRJ
Shorthaul routes to out-of-the-way or normally expensive routes can be a very good use of miles. YUL-YGR could be one (Īles-de-la-Madeleine) -- there may be others. You have enough miles for you and two friends.
--
13F
Now that's quite an interesting idea! Because these short hauls only look at distance and not destination (well, except for ticket availability...). I'm not used to thinking in terms of the smaller airports though (and I still strongly prefer direct flights).

I looked at the chart and I see that Nunavut also counts as a short haul but I'm not sure what I'd be doing there.

I also see that Europe 1 to Europe 1 is 25k in economy which could be handy. Anyone knows if the choices for redemption are usually good for those or not? I'm guessing they won't be air canada flights.

This whole booking far in advance (or very close to departure) business is still pretty troublesome.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 8:39 pm

Close to departure only really works if you are able to be flexible for sure. It doesn't tend to work for me. Especially if say you want to see a US national park or anything out East the hotels can fill up early.

Personally I'd steer well clear of short haul in Europe. it sounds like you are happy to fly Economy so the likes of EasyJet are going to be your friend here. I don't see much value for redeeming points when I can fly LTN MAD return for £50. Plus you gotta get to Europe?

There are some decent parks up North and options to see the northern lights or polar bears. Depends how happy you are with potential dubious weather out of a few key months (during which there are big bugs) but those listed and overpriced flights can be an excellent return $ wise.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 1:43 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Go to Panama on Copa. It's a nice place, great change of weather from YUL in winter. It's a bit pricey in Panama because of the USD usage, but hey, no YQ on Copa!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.