Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada cancelled my flight & will not refund my $1000 Gift card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2017, 10:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC35K

In October 2016 I booked two tickets return from YYZ to Deer Lake YDF Newfoundland for July 5, 2017 returning July 15, 2017. I paid the fare of $1314.4 via an AC Gift card for $1000,00 and the balance on credit card. AC cancelled our flight on July 15 forcing us to accept a 5.30 am departure from Deer Lake the next day. I cancelled both legs of the ticket and AC agreed to a full refund. I received a credit on my credit card for $314.40 but to date the $1000 Gift card has not been refunded. Numerous emails have gone back and forth between AC’s Customer relations and me, but they continue to ignore sorting out this simple problem. There is no way to speak to them as they only accept email communication.

I do not have the Gift card number as I discarded it after booking last October and therefore cannot provide AC Customer relations with this number. The last four numbers of the gift card appear on my booking itinerary. AC’s customer service people front desk have been responsive in so far as asking the AC Customer relations department to detokenize the gift card and issue a new one.

I do not particularly care if I don’t get the Gift card back for $1000, but at least clean up this mess by putting a credit against any future flights for the $1000.

I am newly retired and still travel AC on long haul flights. I have $20K in upcoming Winter vacation business class tickets for two to Australia and Premium Economy for two to London in December.

Would one of the moderators please get involved in this to get it sorted.

I feel as if Air Canada do not care about me as a long time customer and that this issue is of no importance to them!

Well it is to me!!!!!
Old Jul 27, 2017, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
The FT mods don't intervene on our behalf. If they did, then you'd be the millionth in line!
Old Jul 27, 2017, 11:12 am
Original Member

Go to the CBC.

That seems to be the only thing AC responds to.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 11:15 am

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Originally Posted by KenHamer
Go to the CBC.

That seems to be the only thing AC responds to.
Go to CBC and gabor lukacs.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 11:17 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
This forum is not run by Air Canada and the folks on here cannot intervene directly on your behalf. I would suggest trying to contact local media or filing a claim in small claims court for the $1000.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 11:18 am

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
Air Canada does not answer to Flyertalk in any way shape or form.

In addition to repeated emails, and indeed CBC, some people have success addressing unresolved issues via Facebook or Twitter. It seems that posting the complaint in a public showcase motivates them to resolve issues more than private emails just between you and them. The social media team are also more agile, it seems.

What I would not do is offer the suggestion to settle it with credit to a future flight. You paid the $1,000 and you want $1,000 back. If, after negotiation, the only thing they are willing to give you is a new $1,000 gift card, you could agree to accept that under protest. For heaven's sake, don't open with an offer to take a credit or you'll end up with a 5% off base fare to any destination served by AC Express plus 5 BOB certificates.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 11:22 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by flyquiet
What I would not do is offer the suggestion to settle it with credit to a future flight. You paid the $1,000 and you want $1,000 back. If, after negotiation, the only thing they are willing to give you is a new $1,000 gift card, you could agree to accept that under protest. For heaven's sake, don't open with an offer to take a credit or you'll end up with a 5% off base fare to any destination served by AC Express plus 5 BOB certificates.
Agreed. Also, most gift cards do not expire are considered "cash equivalent" so they can be used to pay for any transaction with AC. A generic AC credit is generally good for only one year and has additional restrictions on what it can be used for.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 11:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC35K
Thanks everyone for your input. I will push hard only for a gift card for the $1k.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 12:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Exclamation

As others have mentioned Flyertalk isn't a consumer/airline dispute settling forum and as a volunteer forum moderator I have no ability to compel Air Canada to do anything so would suggest you continue to try to find an acceptable resolution using the available channels. Good luck!

tcook052
Air Canada forum Moderator
Old Jul 27, 2017, 1:35 pm

If you want help addressing a consumer complaint involving an airline you might try http://forum.elliott.org/forums/airline/

You will have to sign up, and the first thing they will tell you is to start with the airline customer service webpage for complaints. They will suggest after that to e-mail corporate executives one at a time using the list of corporate contacts at elliot.org. There are cases where they suggest the last resort is small claims court, or you may convince Elliott to intercede for you.

That site is a sponsored site but I have no connection with them whatsoever.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Diabeetus
Go to CBC and gabor lukacs.
To the CBC perhaps. But don't help Gabor inflating his own ego.

You might consider filing a complaint with the CTA on your own. You don't need him for that.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 9:00 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
The federal Ministry of Transport is supposed to help people like you with these types of cases. Please see their website. You can file your complaint online.

https://services.otc-cta.gc.ca/eng/a...vel-complaints
Old Jul 27, 2017, 9:06 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
You paid $1314.50 and expect a full refund because they canceled the return leg?
Old Jul 27, 2017, 9:23 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Originally Posted by Yoshi212
You paid $1314.50 and expect a full refund because they canceled the return leg?
At this point, it doesn't matter what you think is reasonable or not -- AC said they'd do it (and, if this cancelation occured prior to flying the first leg, their tariffs state that this is reasonable), so they should refund the full amount.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 10:22 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
This is just another reason why that email form is the most stupidest thing ever.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.