Aeroplan booking strategy

Old Jul 25, 2017, 9:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Amex Plat, UA Club Card, National EE, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓
Aeroplan booking strategy

Looking at booking IAD - DEL - IAD in Business in sept-oct 2017 timeframe. I'm mostly stuck with Lufthansa (high surcharge) and United. Seems to me that United release business saver space only few weeks out. I can find plenty of United Business Saver within next 2 weeks, but nothing after that. But if I wait until booking last minute, Air India business segment would most likely be unavailable.

Should i I book this itenary with business class and then keep checking later as United business opens up and pay $90 fee to change to business? Would I have to pay $90 each for departure and return as space opens up just 2 weeks out and my trip would be longer than that? Please advise.

IAD-LHR UA economy
LHR-DEL AI business
DEL-LHR AI business
LHR-IAD UA economy
total 150k miles.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 9:54 am
exc

Programs: AC*E75k
I have no comments to the route as I'm not familiar with it, but consider flying through various asian hubs (ICN / HKG / TPE) and look to see if there's any availability through the Asian airlines for the TPAC segment.

If you book a business class ticket and you are only confirmed in economy and reward space for business come up, you can simply call in and be confirmed in business, no change fee required.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 1:46 pm

Try other airports using one-way segment searches. For example, try looking for IAH-IST to get across the Atlantic? I see J for late Sep. But then from IST you'd need to connect through RUH and then into DEL, but still in J.

Concur with exc. No change fee involved if you book a J reward, with some Y segments and then find J segments on the exact same flight opening up later on. But you do need to call in to get moved up from Y to J on that flight (for free).

Otherwise, it's now $100 change fee per direction for other changes to an Aeroplan itinerary.
http:/www.aeroplan.com/faqhelp/5314?currentLanguage=en
Old Jul 25, 2017, 2:24 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by exc
If you book a business class ticket and you are only confirmed in economy and reward space for business come up, you can simply call in and be confirmed in business, no change fee required.
This is true but you also run the risk of paying business points and sitting in economy. Also, Aeroplan tickets will not be eligible for upgrades at the gate on United. Only Aeroplan reservations will be able to confirm your upgrade if space becomes available.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 2:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Amex Plat, UA Club Card, National EE, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓
Thanks! The responses have answered my queries. Good to know that Rebooking to business on same flight is also possible and doesn't incur any extra charges other than the $30 call fee I guess.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 4:06 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
There is no $30 call fee for switching from Y to J on the exact same flights, if it is a J redemption.

Taxes and surcharges will be re-calculated. You may have to pay, or get a refund for the difference.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by beep88
There is no $30 call fee for switching from Y to J on the exact same flights, if it is a J redemption.

Taxes and surcharges will be re-calculated. You may have to pay, or get a refund for the difference.
I've played with a few sample online bookings at the Aeroplan site, and compared all-economy versus all-business class, same identical segments/itinerary, and there is no difference in the taxes/fees. However, I've seen people mention that a later recalculation of taxes could result in an increase or decrease, which I think I can understand, though I'm not sure where the source of the variance could be.

Anyways, I was also told by an Aeroplan phone agent that taxes will be become higher if I upgrade a from a Y to J segment on a business class award, just because the taxes are higher for business seats. Is this true? If so, why is it that the taxes look identical for a Y or a J itinerary, when I make the same booking online? Or is this the case only for specific partner airlines?
Old Jul 27, 2017, 8:26 am

Originally Posted by WKnight
Anyways, I was also told by an Aeroplan phone agent that taxes will be become higher if I upgrade a from a Y to J segment on a business class award, just because the taxes are higher for business seats. Is this true? If so, why is it that the taxes look identical for a Y or a J itinerary, when I make the same booking online? Or is this the case only for specific partner airlines?
I've read here that at LHR there's a higher tax for J. (which I just confirmed on aeroplan site)
Old Jul 27, 2017, 8:46 am

Programs: TK *G
The difference can also be currency exchange rate.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by viracocha
I've read here that at LHR there's a higher tax for J. (which I just confirmed on aeroplan site)
Thanks. I'll keep an eye open for LHR next time I'm browsing. Plus, I imagine there may be other airports (carriers?) who would charge more for business J class travel.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 3:22 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
Originally Posted by WKnight
However, I've seen people mention that a later recalculation of taxes could result in an increase or decrease, which I think I can understand, though I'm not sure where the source of the variance could be.
New/increased/decreased airport fee or YQ the day after you make the original booking?
Old Jul 28, 2017, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by beep88
New/increased/decreased airport fee or YQ the day after you make the original booking?
You're right, of course. Thanks for clearing off the haze.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.