Wiki Posts
Search

Transit advice; HKG or PEK?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2017, 3:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
Transit advice; HKG or PEK?

Have the choice of transiting in HKG or PEK. Layover would be a couple of hours. Comfort and food helpful. Would appreciate any suggestions as to which would airport/lounge would offer a better experience.

Thanks in advance.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 3:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by Bartolo
Have the choice of transiting in HKG or PEK. Layover would be a couple of hours. Comfort and food helpful. Would appreciate any suggestions as to which would airport/lounge would offer a better experience.

Thanks in advance.
It's about 50/50 to me. I like HKG a lot better than PEK, but the flight is longer from Canada. I would take the airport with the best connection time.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 3:33 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
HKG by a mile. Comfortable, several good Star Alliance lounges (TG, SQ, UA), organized and efficient.

PEK isn't the total gong show people make it out to be, but HKG is one of the best major airports in the world on every level.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by eigenvector
HKG by a mile. Comfortable, several good Star Alliance lounges (TG, SQ, UA), organized and efficient.

PEK isn't the total gong show people make it out to be, but HKG is one of the best major airports in the world on every level.
+1. PEK isn't that bad, but as mentioned, lounge-wise, HKG would be very hard to beat. You also get a lot more energy and enthusiasm at HKG.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
I like HKG a lot better than PEK, but the flight is longer from Canada.
If in J, sometimes a longer flight is better, because allowing for a good sleep. This will be especially true if the connection is shorter.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 4:10 pm

Programs: AC*SE 1MM. a bunch of hotel programs.
plus .. transiting in HKG is quick and fairly painless. the transit security in PEK can be horrible at times. HKG overall is a much better airport.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 4:14 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
HKG--always.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 4:14 pm

HKG >> PEK, especially if flying CX. Also the vies into/out of HKG tend to be quite nice. Oh and PEK is run by Chinese ATC which are prone to traffic delays.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 5:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by Stranger
If in J, sometimes a longer flight is better, because allowing for a good sleep. This will be especially true if the connection is shorter.
I would agree on the overnight return flight, but going there is another story.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 5:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Definitely HKG. PEK is subject to bad delays due to ATC (weather and military exercises) so there's real risk of missed connections.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 5:47 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Titanium
HKG is my preferred entry into Asia for a number of reasons:

1) Don't have to deal with delays of the Chinese military arbitrarily closing down the airspace;

2) Transfer desk and security is fast and straightforward at HKG;

3) Lots of lounges to choose;

4) Despite the size, HKG is easy to walk around;

5) Departure and arrival time from YYZ is conducive to getting to the hotel at a reasonable hour, including if you have to connect in the region. Times from YVR are decent as well.

6) Language isn't as much of an issue in HKG as it is in PEK.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 6:39 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Hands down it is HKG. There is nothing, absolutely nothing that can be considered good about that bloated airport as a transfer point if not staying in China.

- AC pax must use the Air China lounge. Limited alcohol and mysterious food products of dubious quality are served. It makes the AC domestic MLL seem luxurious in comparison. HKG abounds with delicious food and quality.

- Dirt and filth everywhere. Touch anything and your hands and clothes become soiled. Cleanliness is the byword in Hong Kong where cleaning staff are on the job 24/7. No chance of a HKG washroom smelling like an open latrine as is the case at PEK.

- PEK has rude pax, pushing and shoving and hacking without covering their mouths. Hong Kong airport users skew to civility, much like the folks of Singapore.

- Transfer from AC to CA is an exercise in frustration. Surliness and inefficiency is the M.O. It doesn't matter if in business class, the CA agent still carries on like she's doing you a favour.

- If it's an evening flight, don't expect to hear a boarding call or announcement, because they didn't do it on any of my flights. Maybe it was an Air China thing. My colleague says he had a similar experience with China Eastern.

- Delays cancellations and misconnections are what Beijing international offers.

- If you have a long layover, PEK has the airport Hilton, which is one of the nicest Hiltons I have ever stayed in. Modern, spotless and an excellent breakfast with brilliant staff. In comparison, the Hong Kong Airport Regal seemed more like the worn out Ramada Hotel at LAX.

- If there are IROPS, no worries at all in HKG as the contract agents and airport personnel are the best of the best and are the reason why the airport is so good. At PEK, good luck.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 6:59 pm

Programs: TK *G
HKG all the way. I would only suggest PEK if you like to visit a more exotic place and don't mind the possible frustration from delay/rude agents, etc.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 7:06 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Emerald Exec, HHG
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Definitely HKG. PEK is subject to bad delays due to ATC (weather and military exercises) so there's real risk of missed connections.
I agree with HKG. Easier transit and a better airport experience. The PEK air china lounge isn't that great compared to the Thai, SQ or united lounges in HK.
however, I've encountered more ATC delays out of HKG in the last few months, especially impacting polar routes, so don't assume HKG is smooth sailing; my AC16 flight a few weeks ago was 4 hrs late due to rerouting around china airspace.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 8:16 pm

HKG always

Hkg always. Last time I transited at PEK, transit desk refused to issue broading pass because my flight was 3+ hours. Later she made a hand written broading pass and let me through immigration and security. Lines for immigration was 30 minutes long and security confiscated anything that resembled battery and yogurt. CA lounge at PEK was miles behind SG or Thai lounge at HKG.

In fact I wouldn't recommend anything less than 2.5 hours connection time at PEK. HKG one hour is doable as they have agents with signs standing by for tight connection passengers

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.