Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: Earliest check-in and changing terminals airside at LAX

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question: Earliest check-in and changing terminals airside at LAX

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2017, 1:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Premier, Air France Silver, AAdvantage, Matmid Gold
Earliest check-in and changing terminals airside at LAX

Hi all. I've got a bit of a convoluted question here, so please bear with me for a moment.

I'm on AC788 in J on Monday 7/24, LAX-YYZ leaving at 22:25. My very frail father is flying on AF with my brother LAX-CDG leaving at 6pm.
My question is how early I can check in for my AC flight at LAX. Despite the fact that my flight doesn't leave until 22:25, can I possibly check in at, say 15:00, and run over to the TBIT airside to assist them?

I feel like a novice flyer, posting this question, despite not being one.

On a side note, excited to try the AC classic pod. This'll be my first time in a herringbone seat!
Old Jul 19, 2017, 3:01 pm

If you have no bags to check, you are good - all you need is an online or kiosk boarding pass and you can go through the security lines at TBIT (I do it pretty much every time I transit there - I've always been lucky and security lines have been minimal).

However, if you do have bags, IIRC, they cannot be dropped more than 4 hours in advance.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 3:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
If you have no checked baggage, you can check in online 24 hours in advance and use an electronic or printed boarding pass.

If, for some reason, those options don't work, you can check in at the airport 12 hours in advance.

If you need to check a bag, it will be much more dependent on the agent, but 4 hours is generally the time quoted.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 3:17 pm
Original Poster

I guess I'm out of luck, since I'll have two big bags. I guess I can just hope the agent is sympathetic...

Thank you for your assistance.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 3:23 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
If you have checked baggage, would it be possible to check in online, use your boarding pass to go through security to help your father, leave the secure area to get your bag from your car or a baggage locker, check your bag, then go back through security? Is this allowed at LAX? Does the timing work?
Old Jul 19, 2017, 3:35 pm
Original Poster

That's a great idea! I don't know of any baggage storage places at LAX though. will look
Old Jul 19, 2017, 3:40 pm

You'd better double check if it is okay to go through security twice on the same boarding pass. Any folks here have any insight?
Old Jul 19, 2017, 3:45 pm
Original Poster

Just checked. No baggage storage facility at LAX. I guess I'll just go to the AC check in counters on Monday afternoon and beg, explaining the situation.

Stressful.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by smallmj
You'd better double check if it is okay to go through security twice on the same boarding pass. Any folks here have any insight?
Totally fine to do this. Done it several times. Left for In-N-Out Burger ... left to meet friend ...

Have entered multiple terminals at LAX on same boarding pass in same day under the excuse of "I'm stuck in Terminal 2 for 9 hours if I don't go somewhere else" - literally used those words, agent laughed and agreed I made a wise call.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 5:01 pm

There is this outfit that does remote storage with pickup and delivery:

http://www.laxluggagestorage.com

It looks like 2 medium/large suitcases would run $44, which is pretty steep for a few hours.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 5:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
The only place I've ever had an "issue" with this is YVR domestic.

I was subjected to extra screening because I'd already cleared security once.

But AC's terminal and TBIT are connected airside at LAX, so this isn't even relevant.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 5:34 pm
Original Poster

I guess i'll just beg and hope for the best, because this is what I absolutely MUST do.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 5:44 pm

Programs: *$ Green
Originally Posted by canadiancow
If you have no checked baggage, you can check in online 24 hours in advance and use an electronic or printed boarding pass.

If, for some reason, those options don't work, you can check in at the airport 12 hours in advance.

If you need to check a bag, it will be much more dependent on the agent, but 4 hours is generally the time quoted.
Are you sure about the 12h rule?

During one of my 24h breakfast runs, I got both YULYVR and YVRYUL BPs printed at YUL. Printed at 6am ET in YUL for 725am departure, and return on 1230am Pacific.

I can't remember if I had checked in for both flights, but the check in agent gave me both BPs without asking.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 5:48 pm

Programs: *$ Green
I've done this many time ranging for various reasons. Absolutely not an issue with either CATSA or TSA. No additional screening either. Only places I've never tried this are at airports where you need go cross customs / immigration to get airside.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 6:17 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Was with a friend flying AC out of LAX on Monday, she was denied checking a bag >4 hours in advance (she was in J, too). Just a data point on enforcement of the 4 hour rule at this station.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.