Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Y positioning flight on a J award ticket

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2017, 11:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG/Marriott Plat, Fairmont Plat

I have a J AP award for YYZ-YUL-IST-PVG booked for the wife

Only the first leg is in Y for YYZ-YUL. After booking the ticket, I found PE opening (W), the phone agent won't let me upgrade for free, insisting it has to be I space because it's a J ticket. otherwise she would charge me $100

Anyway, does anyone know if I get J benefits when checking in at YYZ? i.e. priority check in/lounge? considering the longhaul is on TK J. and would I be entitled to J baggage allowance?

TIA
Old Jul 3, 2017, 11:55 am

Yes, you should get all the J benefits, plus you go on the waitlist (in preference to anyone else not confirmed pretty much) for actual J seating. Good chance they'll just clear you at check-in on a flight like YUL-YYZ where revenue J seats aren't commonly sold.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 12:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
They should move you into PY if there's reward space available at no charge.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pitz
plus you go on the waitlist (in preference to anyone else not confirmed pretty much) for actual J seating.
Still insist in making that claim when it has been amply debunked quoting AC management, eh?
Old Jul 3, 2017, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by Stranger
Still insist in making that claim when it has been amply debunked quoting AC management, eh?
Hasn't been debunked at all (the quote from "AC management" was with respect to upgrade priorities -- this is *not* an upgrade, but merely waitlisting into one's ticketed and paid for class of service!!!!). Still insist on trolling?
Old Jul 3, 2017, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hasn't been debunked at all (the quote from "AC management" was with respect to upgrade priorities -- this is *not* an upgrade, but merely waitlisting into one's ticketed and paid for class of service!!!!). Still insist on trolling?
That was changed a very long time ago. And that scenario is actually covered in the so-called upgrade priorities even if arguably it's not an upgrade.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 2:48 pm

No, the quote was explicitly about this.

But I had a few back and forth emails with Ben after a concierge showed me the onload list for a flight I was booked in X on a business ticket.

Cabin, status, fare class, check-in time.

But X to I is above to Y to R, WITHIN your cabin/status group.

So as SE on a two cabin plane, you're only behind SEMMs (as I was on my flight). But with no status, you're behind a P25K trying to eUpgrade.

Last edited by canadiancow; Jul 3, 2017 at 2:54 pm
Old Jul 3, 2017, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by canadiancow
No, the quote was explicitly about this.

But I had a few back and forth emails with Ben after a concierge showed me the onload list for a flight I was booked in X on a business ticket.

But X to I is above to Y to R, WITHIN your cabin/status group.

So as SE on a two cabin plane, you're only behind SEMMs (a I was on my flight). But with no status, you're behind a P25K trying to eUpgrade.
You don't expect him to admit, do you?

Old Jul 3, 2017, 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by Stranger
That was changed a very long time ago. And that scenario is actually covered in the so-called upgrade priorities even if arguably it's not an upgrade.
No, its still not an upgrade. (op) Upgrade priorities do not matter to those on the waitlist. eUpgrades come from R space, which is confirmed space once its been processed. They won't de-confirm a confirmed upgrade to accommodate anyone on a waitlist, full revenue passenger or AP ticket holder. They only de-confirm upgrades if there's an aircraft swap or a J-entitled deadheading captain shows up.

But with no status, you're behind a P25K trying to eUpgrade.
If the P25k can confirm an upgrade into the last seat available from R space, then the waitlist people are out of luck. That would be a pretty rare situation though, as R would have been zero'ed out long before then.

Status isn't even coded on most AP redemption tickets. How may threads do we have about people having trouble getting their Altitude benefits when flying on redemptions???? Lol. Again, you're talking about the op-upgrade priority schema, and not that of waitlisting when one has been ticketed on a J AP reservation but could only confirm certain segments in the X (Y cabin).

Last edited by pitz; Jul 3, 2017 at 3:08 pm
Old Jul 3, 2017, 4:16 pm

No, its still not an upgrade. (op) Upgrade priorities do not matter to those on the waitlist. eUpgrades come from R space, which is confirmed space once its been processed. They won't de-confirm a confirmed upgrade to accommodate anyone on a waitlist, full revenue passenger or AP ticket holder. They only de-confirm upgrades if there's an aircraft swap or a J-entitled deadheading captain shows up.

If the P25k can confirm an upgrade into the last seat available from R space, then the waitlist people are out of luck. That would be a pretty rare situation though, as R would have been zero'ed out long before then.

Status isn't even coded on most AP redemption tickets. How may threads do we have about people having trouble getting their Altitude benefits when flying on redemptions???? Lol. Again, you're talking about the op-upgrade priority schema, and not that of waitlisting when one has been ticketed on a J AP reservation but could only confirm certain segments in the X (Y cabin).
No, I'm specifically talking about "waitlisting when one has been ticketed on a J AP reservation but could only confirm certain segments in the X (Y cabin)".

There is one onload list for a flight. It covers eUpgrades, standby, "waitlisting" (your word, not mine), and everything else where one wants to sit somewhere they're not confirmed. The priority on this list is as I described. Paid J might be different, but I haven't seen any evidence to support that. I've seen lots of evidence for reward J. Not anecdotes, evidence

As for status showing up, it's almost always possible. You just need a competent agent. And it's very important, because it affects your onload priority. I want my K**SE.

Why don't you just email Ben and ask him? He's a nice guy, and responds to emails quickly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.