Wiki Posts
Search

Lounge access for eUpgrade

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2017, 6:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC Altitude E35K
Lounge access for eUpgrade

If I get eupgraded to business class prior to reaching the gate for a domestic or transborder flight, how do I know which lounges I can access with my boarding pass? I know I can get into the MLLs, but are there others (eg. United Club, Star Alliance lounges, Plaza Premium, Amex, others, etc.)? I'm a P25K, so no *G access, and no lounge memberships. Specifically asking about YYZ and LAX, but any general rules of thumb would be helpful.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 6:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC
If you're flying on Air Canada, you will have access to the respective MLL, and that's about it. You will not have access to any Plaza Premium lounge and there are no United clubs at Toronto
Old Jun 20, 2017, 6:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
In LAX, you'd have access to the United Clubs and the TBIT Business Lounge.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Beware, you still might get an old school agent applying old school rules who might deny your access.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 8:32 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by canadiancow
In LAX, you'd have access to the United Clubs and the TBIT Business Lounge.
And the new MLL
Old Jun 21, 2017, 8:48 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
I thought there was no official access on eUps? Just the fact that the pass says J normally means you get in anyway.

So I'd take a voucher just in case. I've had to do the walk of shame from a MLL once, it isn't fun.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 10:18 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by jc94
I thought there was no official access on eUps? Just the fact that the pass says J normally means you get in anyway.

So I'd take a voucher just in case. I've had to do the walk of shame from a MLL once, it isn't fun.
If it's confirmed business class at the time you walk into the lounge, you can get in.

If you're waitlisted for an upgrade and it hasn't cleared by the time you walk into the lounge, you can't get in.

(for those without Star Gold status)
Old Jun 21, 2017, 12:30 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Bonvoy LTE
Please see https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...onditions.html

Under Fare Rules:

Fare Rules
Although you will be seated in the Business Class or Premium Economy cabin when your upgrade is confirmed, your booking will remain subject to the fare rules and restrictions of the booking class you originally purchased. These rules include, but are not limited to, mileage accumulation, change and cancellation fees, access to airport lounges, and baggage allowance.
Technically, if you are only AC P25K, you do not have access to any lounge, even if you have been upgraded using eUpgrades. Carry a voucher for the MLL just in case.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 1:11 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by Jebby_ca

Under Fare Rules:

Technically, if you are only AC P25K, you do not have access to any lounge, even if you have been upgraded using eUpgrades. Carry a voucher for the MLL just in case.
Thanks. I knew I'd been told his myself but hadn't found the thread. A paste of the official rules is better.

Strange that the scanner doesn't throw up a large red
eUp deny access !!! error. Or perhaps as it only affects P25s and to a lesser extent E35k its low on ACs IT fix list.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 2:02 pm
Suspended

Under Fare Rules:

Interesting. I have never been denied access to a lounge when my eUp has cleared (this year being the first for me). I am also not a Star Alliance gold member either.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by longtimeflyin
Interesting. I have never been denied access to a lounge when my eUp has cleared (this year being the first for me). I am also not a Star Alliance gold member either.
Most MLL agents will let you in without any problems... but you may come across one that is a stickler for the rules.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC

Under Fare Rules:

Ok, so my old school reference ain't so old school after all!
Old Jun 22, 2017, 11:39 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
So we've established there's a risk at the MLL, but how about UCs? Would an AC J BP be good enough to get in there?
Old Jun 22, 2017, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
So we've established there's a risk at the MLL, but how about UCs? Would an AC J BP be good enough to get in there?
I guess it depends on what the agent sees when they scan your boarding pass, and if they have access to Air Canada's fare rules? Never been in that situation as i've always held *G when using eUpgrades and trying to access lounges.

Again, technically, you are not entitled to access the United Club or the Star Alliance Business Class Lounge at LAX if you have a confirmed eUgrade unless you are also *G, as the purchased fare did not include lounge access based on the rules published by Air Canada.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 10:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Yes.

Hence why I said UC or TBIT *A lounge, but not MLL

There is a chance the MLL could reject you. There is no chance another lounge would.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.