Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Priority Rewards Availability Rules

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2017, 10:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC E75K

Altitude website indicates (emphasis mine):

In the event that Aeroplan Fixed Mileage Flight Reward seats are completely booked, members have access to unsold seats in Economy Class – and exclusive access to additional seats in Business Class – when redeeming their Aeroplan Miles.
Does anyone know what exactly that means?

In the past (IKK days), my understanding (since I never got to experience it), is that any unsold J seat is available for redemption for SE members.

Can someone let me know what the current state of affairs is? I don't redeem AE miles that often, but am trying to find some flights for SFO-TXL around the July 4 week/weekend and finding availability limited to none on most days. Is this par for the course?
Old Jun 13, 2017, 11:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by capedreamer
Altitude website indicates (emphasis mine):

Does anyone know what exactly that means?

In the past (IKK days), my understanding (since I never got to experience it), is that any unsold J seat is available for redemption for SE members.

Can someone let me know what the current state of affairs is? I don't redeem AE miles that often, but am trying to find some flights for SFO-TXL around the July 4 week/weekend and finding availability limited to none on most days. Is this par for the course?
99.9% of the time IKK / priority award availability is equal to R availability.

So if you see R availability, there's usually IKK availability. (Most notable exception is if the entire flight is overbooked, though unlikely this far out).

It may be helful to search segment by segment, starting with the TATL segment. I'm pretty sure some of the TATL routes will have R space, and finding R space within North America is generally quite easy >14 days before departure.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 11:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jasper2009
99.9% of the time IKK / priority award availability is equal to R availability.

So if you see R availability, there's usually IKK availability. (Most notable exception is if the entire flight is overbooked, though unlikely this far out).

It may be helful to search segment by segment, starting with the TATL segment. I'm pretty sure some of the TATL routes will have R space, and finding R space within North America is generally quite easy >14 days before departure.
Ah - so IKK availability is now based on R space? I was not aware of that. That's unfortunate.

But your tip was a good one. I was able to find (Priority Rewards) redemption space by breaking up the segments. But the return will have at least 3 stops (FRA, YOW, YYZ) so I'm still undecided...
Old Jun 13, 2017, 11:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by capedreamer
Ah - so IKK availability is now based on R space? I was not aware of that. That's unfortunate.

But your tip was a good one. I was able to find (Priority Rewards) redemption space by breaking up the segments. But the return will have at least 3 stops (FRA, YOW, YYZ) so I'm still undecided...
It's been like this for at least 5+ years.

It's probably close to 15 years now than any unsold J seat was available as an IKK award at the regular award level. (There also was a phase were AC charged a premium for IKK awards, but can't remember the exact details)

I'm faily sure you can find a routing with only 2 stops on the return - just need to be creative. Have you checked CDG-YUL/YYZ or CPH-YYZ?
Old Jun 14, 2017, 4:26 am

This goes to the heart of a point I made in another thread - Air Canada likely knows it can continue to rip apart and degrade benefits, because people just don't pay attention...
Old Jun 14, 2017, 6:32 am
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
Even when searching segment by segment, you may find that even with individual segment availability there is no ability to book on line. This happened to me 2 days ago. When combined into a multi-city, the last segment said no availability for priority rewards. I phoned in and the agent was able to book it (because it WAS available but not bookable online--no surprise). Aeroplan got an extra $30 bucks it needed but I got the ticket. I really hate wasting time just to get what is promised to me.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 1:16 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone!

Ended up booking SFO-YYZ-FRA-TXL departing Jul 1 and returning Jul 7.

The segment-by-segment search was key for the return.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 7:11 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Emerald Exec, HHG
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
It's been like this for at least 5+ years.

It's probably close to 15 years now than any unsold J seat was available as an IKK award at the regular award level. (There also was a phase were AC charged a premium for IKK awards, but can't remember the exact details)

I'm faily sure you can find a routing with only 2 stops on the return - just need to be creative. Have you checked CDG-YUL/YYZ or CPH-YYZ?
Ok, so I'm clear,
So is it based on R space, or based on unsold J? For example using the priority reward search I can't find the direct AC56 to DXB next July in J. Does that mean I just need to call AP and they will pull from the J inventory for $30, or do I need to noodle through EF to find R space for my family of 4?
Old Jul 31, 2017, 7:26 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
It's very closely correlated with R space. J space won't really help you. If it's J9 R0, you won't be able to IKK.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 7:35 am
Suspended

Programs: AC
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
It's very closely correlated with R space. J space won't really help you. If it's J9 R0, you won't be able to IKK.
True, however it is important to note that if one finds themselves in this position then

Option # 1: A->B J9R0
Option # 2: A->C->B J2R1

Use Priority Rewards to redeem Option #2 , then show up at the airport at position A and then pay the same day change fee to then fly A->B direct (Option #1 ). This option is available as long as economy class (Y) is not oversold and there is positive business class inventory. (J>=1)
Old Jul 31, 2017, 9:08 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Emerald Exec, HHG
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
I assume its similar for PY, if O=9, but if N=0, then I can't get a seat?
Old Jul 31, 2017, 9:16 am

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
A little while ago I searched an entire year for R space YOW-SYD-YOW and I needed 4 J seats using points.

I noticed definite trends - for example for SYD there was R availability almost every Tuesday (sometimes up to R9) but very little availability on other days of the week.

Then when I searched on Aeroplan.com for 4 seats, the IKK availability match exactly what I found in EF.

It was an interesting exercise.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 5:28 am

Programs: AC SE
what is the rule for Y Priority reward for Europe to Canada? any unsold seat like North America or ? I know J is r space.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 5:46 am

Programs: AC SE, UA, National Exec Elite, Nexus, GE
Originally Posted by 300rwhp
what is the rule for Y Priority reward for Europe to Canada? any unsold seat like North America or ? I know J is r space.
Any unsold seat provided the Y cabin is not overbooked.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 6:04 am

Programs: AC SE
EF shows Y class available on CPH-YYZ OCT 15 but i cant get it to show on errorplan.com

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.