Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Does your browsing history determine price?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2017, 4:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mileage Plus

I was trying to book a "cheap" "Premium Rouge" seat from Toronto to Las Vegas a bit out. For a date I put in I got a not-stop for $562. This was just before I left for a luncheon appointment so I figured I'd go to lunch and book after lunch. After lunch I spent some time on United.com seeing if I could get the seat with United's Mileage Plus and I also spent some time on Aircanada.com looking at alternates, such as Ottawa to Las Vegas and different dates. Deciding that the $562 cash fare was the best deal, I went to book it. Now the price was $682. Did the price really jump that much in the interval?? So, I went on to a different computer with no history of browsing Aircanada.com recently and there was the $562 fare.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 4:28 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by jonsail
I was trying to book a "cheap" "Premium Rouge" seat from Toronto to Las Vegas a bit out. For a date I put in I got a not-stop for $562. This was just before I left for a luncheon appointment so I figured I'd go to lunch and book after lunch. After lunch I spent some time on United.com seeing if I could get the seat with United's Mileage Plus and I also spent some time on Aircanada.com looking at alternates, such as Ottawa to Las Vegas and different dates. Deciding that the $562 cash fare was the best deal, I went to book it. Now the price was $682. Did the price really jump that much in the interval?? So, I went on to a different computer with no history of browsing Aircanada.com recently and there was the $562 fare.
Price can definitely change. I've seen fares go up 20-30% overnight, this probably happened at say 03:27 so if I checked 03:25 then 03:28 ... it happens normally based on other ticket sales. And people could book then cancel.

Ive also seen fares go up from a while then down. It's all load based, well that and AC IT.

Also seen one seat go for $400 while two cost $1000... as the $400 is the last one in that cheaper fare class.

Try incognito or similar mode?
Old Jun 9, 2017, 4:46 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Yes.

Cookies. The cutsiepie name software writers gave to the data packet the website you visit injects into your computer. This allows your browsing activity, data entered, and pages visited to be identified. It's a lot like visiting a person of loose morals who records the lustful lascivious liason and uses it against you.

Clear your cache. Delete your browser history. Download a decent quick cleaner and use it regularly.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 4:59 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
If using google, go incognito. Other browsers have similar functions.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 5:31 pm

Programs: *$ Green
You guys really believe this?
Old Jun 9, 2017, 5:32 pm

Programs: *$ Green
Like honestly sincerely 100% believe this?
Old Jun 9, 2017, 6:19 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by SparseFlyer
There were a couple of other threads in other forums that also believe this.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 6:29 pm

Programs: AC SE
Whether or not it's actually true and actually a strategy AC employs, it's certainly something that's possible using modern technologies. And clearing your cache or using incognito mode is pretty common advice when you read "how to save money on flights" articles. It's roughly the same reason that the ads you see above and below this post are probably related to things you just searched for on Google or Amazon. You're always being tracked.

My guess is that AC doesn't use it, because I've found pricing very consistent, even when searching repeatedly over the course of a day.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 6:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
No, they don't.

I noticed something similar once. I was searching at 14 days plus 30 minutes.

I decided to book at 14 days minus 30 minutes.

I lost the 14 day advance purchase fares.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 6:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by vernonc
There were a couple of other threads in other forums that also believe this.
Exactly, and I recall posts from either Sean Peever, jaysona and and/or canandiancow back then.

Ah, and the Cow beat me to it.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 7:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
Originally Posted by SparseFlyer
Yes. It is true and that's what happens.

Cookies+Browster history etc play a part in what adds you see, etc etc as well.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 7:28 pm

+1: me too
Old Jun 9, 2017, 7:29 pm

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
If true, it's surprising ACs IT is sophisticated enough to do this.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 7:33 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AS 75k, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist
Browsing history does play a role in what ads you see, but the agencies who bid in the exchanges for programmatic ads generally only update their propensity scores nightly, so you generally won't see changes in the space of a few hours like this. Also, just because advertisers use your browsing history doesn't mean AC or any other airline does. We aren't privy to their pricing algorithms, but it seems a bit counter intuitive to raise the price when you've just demonstrated price sensitivity by shopping around
Old Jun 9, 2017, 7:40 pm
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
Amazon does this in certain ways but mentioning Amazon IT and AC IT in the same sentence, well...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.