Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do you ever forget about bookings?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2017, 12:16 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Well I have not lost track of bookings, but hotel reservations , yes.

Nothing like showing up at the hotel a week early and saying, "Hi..is my room ready"?
Old Jun 4, 2017, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
This is what spreadsheets are for!

I have looked at my spreadsheet and wondered why I made a certain booking. Most recently noticed a SIN-YYZ reservation that I'm not really sure why I booked that particular date, so I just cancelled it. Easy to do when you get free changes/cancellations on award tickets so you book all sorts of stuff, just in case.
Old Jun 4, 2017, 1:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by biglinguist
Cow, it sounds like you're not talking about a "oh yeah, that trip!" forgetting, but rather "I have no memory whatsoever of this booking."

Are there other clues that suggest that you totally forget things? Like, when you got the notice of the flight, did you look down and realize you were holding a bloody hammer?
Nope, I can't recall the last time I truly forgot about anything.

"Oh crap, I forgot we had dinner plans tonight, but I remember making them", sure. But not "Who are you again? Why would I have dinner with you?"

Originally Posted by margarita girl
This is what spreadsheets are for!
I typically send all my bookings to TripIt, immediately after making them, unless I'm very unsure about the flight. I currently have a FP booking sitting in my inbox because I'm 95% sure I'll be cancelling it. But otherwise, it would be in TripIt.

This also results in it showing up on my calendar.

Originally Posted by margarita girl
I have looked at my spreadsheet and wondered why I made a certain booking. Most recently noticed a SIN-YYZ reservation that I'm not really sure why I booked that particular date, so I just cancelled it. Easy to do when you get free changes/cancellations on award tickets so you book all sorts of stuff, just in case.
This is a revenue ticket.
Old Jun 4, 2017, 2:09 pm

Programs: KF,JMB, OZ, SPG,AA,UA,AS
Last year, I ended up booking two revenue J tickets to the same destination on the same day with two different airlines (SQ/BR) and didn't realize it until SQ sent me a check-in notice 48-hours before the flight. To this day, I have no recollection of ever making the SQ booking, which I was able to cancel.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 2:33 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, hhonors Gold
I have made the error of booking myself twice on the same flight on different itineraries a couple of times . I often have complex itineraries and have gotten confused about what has and hasn't been booked or which city I'm starting in. I maintain a spreadsheet in the cloud, but have got caught with it getting out of synch.

Luckily AC has been great. If you have two exact duplicate booking on a flight they have always been willing to refund without penalty. However, I'm not going to press my luck and have added checks to my booking process.

Really wish AC had a better consolidated view of all reservations reward and revenue regardless of where they are booked. UA does a great job of consolidating everything that has my MP number.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 11:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by yyzgigi
Really wish AC had a better consolidated view of all reservations reward and revenue regardless of where they are booked. UA does a great job of consolidating everything that has my MP number.
The AC app does this if you're signed into your mobile+ account and have linked your Aeroplan number.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 11:31 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
My friend managed to put our hotel reservation in TripIt which resulted in us turning up to the wrong hotel on the wrong side of the city. I've also turned up to the wrong hotel when the chain had two in the same city.

But flights? I've never personally forgotten one existed. But it does offer you some great opportunities for June 23rd if it's from YYZ-SFO
Old Jun 5, 2017, 11:36 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Most of the time it's simply bookings I cancelled and are sitting there for credit. I tag them in email account but have had the odd flight where I thought about cancelling it, but apparently didn't. I may have taken the flight out of Tripit, got distracted and either forgot to cancel or didn't make it all the way through the process.

At my previous gig, they forced us to use Amex travel and the one value add they had was to remind me of unused credits. But even then I missed actually cancelling once. It doesn't happen often, but it does happen.

Speaking of distracted, what was I thinking when I arrived in MXP and went to get my rental car that I had apparently booked for pickup in LIN. Doh! But the nice people at SIXT didn't call me an idiot (in either English or Italian) and made it all work in the end.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 6:30 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, hhonors Gold
Originally Posted by canadiancow
The AC app does this if you're signed into your mobile+ account and have linked your Aeroplan number.
Thanks for the tip. Seems to show all my revenue flights, but doesn't show any Aeroplan tickets.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 8:55 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
Not exactly AC but.... Booked a car once for Bologne. Took hovercraft from the UK. No record of booking on arrival at car rental office. Long story short, had inadvertently booked a different Bologne (near Paris). Bologne where I was had no cars left. Expensive taxi to their office in Calais produced a car.

To redeem my post, booked a return tx to Halifax where I was making an important conference presentation. "Back of the bus" tx as per rules of conference organizer. Booked thru Destina (remember them?). Return fare class eligible for upgrading four days out.

Two nights before departure called AC to upgrade. Agent said he'd love to help but too early to upgrade. Return flight was two weeks later. Numbers in date were transposed when ticketed. I was to be in Halifax for only one night. It was winter and I had tx for Hawaii departing one day after my return to YYZ.

Called Destina at 11 pm when this came to light. Agent was a robot. Asked for manager. Informed none in building. Conversation went on for more than an hour. My computer was in the office. Had to drive in a very bad snowstorm to the office at 1:30 am to book a new return flight because AC wanted $1800 one way.

Couldn't upgrade. Onboard, from Row 12, I could see J seats on this wide body open. Told my tale to SD who upgraded me, declined my offer of a cert, and brought me a very large glass of wine. Destina manager refunded, too, by way of a credit to compensate for their agent's incompetence.

Have triple checked tx ever since.

Last edited by Bartolo; Jun 5, 2017 at 9:49 pm
Old Jun 10, 2017, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by newbie2008
I have never came across that. I don't travel that often, so it's easier to remember!
Are you sure you don't travel much, maybe you don't remember much.
Old Jun 10, 2017, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A bit off topic......but I showed up once at the airport a day early.
Old Jun 10, 2017, 11:13 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Cow: think back about a year. Is there any chance this is a flight you bought and cancelled and rebooked into the future with the intention of using this segment eventually and putting off dealing with it for as long as possible?

And no, I've never done that. I was more likely to have a credit or discount code somewhere and miss out on using it.
Old Jun 10, 2017, 4:50 pm

Programs: Irrelevant
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Looking through the app (which, for the record, does a great job of pulling in all bookings with my Aeroplan number), I found a couple bookings I don't recall making.

One is a Latitude FP booking, so I can just cancel that.

The other is a non-refundable revenue booking. I called in about it, they resolved a schedule change, but I cannot, for the life of me, remember making it.

I'm probably going to make use of it, as the timing works out well, but it's unnerving to not remember these things.

Has anyone else come across bookings they forgot they had?
All the time....usually due to 4am bookings after a night of dice and Jägerbombs.
Old Jun 11, 2017, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by airbus320
A bit off topic......but I showed up once at the airport a day early.
Same, just expensed another day at he airport hotel since it was cheaper than adjusting the flight. Worked from hotel room.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.