Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

SQx/Aeroplan earning on tickets booked with RBC Avion points

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SQx/Aeroplan earning on tickets booked with RBC Avion points

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2019, 8:45 am

Programs: AC SE 100, Marriott Plat, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by mathemagic
First time poster. I encountered this situation for the first time this year and I was livid, so I thought I would share some of my experience and what I learned. Last year I booked a J ticket to Europe on Avion points (paid the difference) and earned reward points on that flight with Icelandair no problem. This year, after reading some of this thread, I inquired with AC about an upcoming TPAC (codeshare) trip I have booked with Avion. Before booking I had no idea the statement/credit strategy was a thing because I never had problems in the past. Surprise. They told me this flight would not qualify for AQM and to ask Aeroplan why because they didn't know (just that it showed up as not qualifying for AQM). So I called up Aeroplan and asked where this was stated in the terms and conditions... After 30+ minutes (!) of the agent clicking through the website with me (they were sympathetic and very kind during the whole thing), we came across a document called "Accumulation of Aeroplan Miles for flight activities". FT won't let me post the URL since I don't have 5 posts (...) but if you Google that phrase you'll find the PDF.

In that document it does say: "Flight reward tickets" are excluded,and if they don't earn Aeroplan miles, they don't earn AQM. This is nowhere on the RBC site as far as I could see. I'm still upset about this because I always thought Avion was merely a travel agent that bought tickets for you as a mechanism to redeem points, and that it's separate from things like Aeroplan rewards. My upcoming TPAC trip would have been a lot of AQMs.

Further, when I pointed out that my fare classes were in the charts for AQM accumulation, I learned that there are "fare classes" and there are fare classes. Behind the scenes there is some tag which can eliminate AQM earning but you would never know on your end. Had I not booked with Avion, the same "fare class" (or fare class?) would have earned AQMs.

For extra fun I also asked AC if their 50% off companion business tickets (for TD/CIBC Visa Infinite Privilege card holders) would qualify for AQM and was told no. So not only do they give you a useless "coupon" to overspend on a flexible business ticket, they add insult to injury by taking away all of the AQM eligibility. The reward environment has seriously eroded. I hope that WS gets their game on business class soon so that AC has some meaningful competition in Canada. Anyway, I hope this is helpful.
Thanks for sharing - we’ve had the same experience. AC customer relations has just shared the page you refer to. However I think this needs to be clear on RBC website when making the purchase.

I’m also livid - especially given the actual amount I paid and the fact that the airfare was not less through Avion than AC website. Except of course that I personally discounted my fare by choosing to use points. Of course I know my logic will be disputed by the the three big partners and I will be no further ahead.

Crappy lesson learned - doesn’t pay to be loyal customer.

Old May 22, 2019, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by bcnfish
I just checked saudia.com for the details of a business/premium economy booking done through Avion. I'm having trouble understanding the fare basis though, can someone please help? As all J/PE fares are mileage earning I wasn't too concerned during booking what fare type of was booked.
Please also state the flights (at least city pairs) that these bases are associated with
Old May 22, 2019, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by yyznomad
Please also state the flights (at least city pairs) that these bases are associated with
Didn't know that affected it. Also if it matters all flights are Rouge.

PE segment BCN-YYZ
Fare Basis: EKRCEU2W - Fare code E
J segment YYZ-SJO
Fare Basis: EKRCEU2W - Fare code Z
J segment: SJO-YYZ
Fare Basis: NKNCEU2W - Fare code P
PE segment: YYZ-BCN
Fare Basis: NKNCEU2W - Fare code E
Old May 23, 2019, 12:05 am

Originally Posted by Carotta

Can I ask - did you use the RBC website to book or did you use the statement of credit path?
I used the statement of credit path. It was relatively quick and painless, but not nearly as easy as just booking a flight. The biggest part is getting permission and an authorization number ahead of time. Mine involved a set of PY flights that were not available on the avion site.
Old May 23, 2019, 3:44 am

Originally Posted by Fiordland
Booked through the portal at fixed points. Clearly I ended up getting value in that saudia.com lists the value of the flight as $765.00. Fare base were

S18ULCTG/CORP (Vancouver to Montreal)
T21ULCTG/CORP (Montreal to Saskatoon and then a few days later return to Vancouver).
Just saw this... but the portal allows open jaw/stopover at the published redemption rates? Thought it was just standard round trip tickets
Old May 23, 2019, 5:33 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by hydrogen

Just saw this... but the portal allows open jaw/stopover at the published redemption rates? Thought it was just standard round trip tickets
Never tried open jaw at the published redemption rate. You can do stop overs. Most of my trips have a stop overs.

The final start and end city have to be the same to use published redemption rate.

The one limitation with the portal is unlike the AC or WS sites you can not specify AM, PM, Evening etc. It does not present all the combinations. If the combination I want is not presented, that is a valid reason to call in and get a code to book directly with the airline.

In the above example for the fix redention I did a YVR-YUL (2 days in Montreal), YUL-YYZ-YXE (two days in Saskatoon), YXE-YVR.
Old May 23, 2019, 5:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
I just checked saudia.com for the details of a business/premium economy booking done through Avion. I'm having trouble understanding the fare basis though, can someone please help? As all J/PE fares are mileage earning I wasn't too concerned during booking what fare type of was booked.
PE segment
J segment:
J segment:
PE segment:
Didn't know that affected it. Also if it matters all flights are Rouge.

PE segment BCN-YYZ
J segment YYZ-SJO
J segment: SJO-YYZ
PE segment: YYZ-BCN
The city pairs can help those with EF or other tools to look up fare basis rules.

I'm not sure what you're looking for tbh... what is it that you're trying to understand given that you noted you will be getting AQM anyway?
Old May 23, 2019, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by yyznomad
The city pairs can help those with EF or other tools to look up fare basis rules.

I'm not sure what you're looking for tbh... what is it that you're trying to understand given that you noted you will be getting AQM anyway?
That's what I was trying to understand, whether they would accumulate or not. As I see in this thread there are fare codes in economy that normally would be earning but if booked with Avion do not. I was worried that maybe this would be the same for business/PE fares.
Old Apr 22, 2022, 9:44 am

Any updates on this? i have 700k Avion points that i haven't used in ages

In the past I have used different fare classes which is essentially a work around for this issue (ie prem econ depart J return) as you have to book manually. If I book another star alliance airline through RBC platform do I still need to worry about this ( say J return on Lufthansa or Singapore Airlines) ? Missing out on AQM for one of these trips means no Elite status for me for the year so don't want to screw it up
Old Apr 22, 2022, 9:50 am

Programs: AC50K, *A Gold, Marriott Titanium (LGE), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by tdiddy23
Any updates on this? i have 700k Avion points that i haven't used in ages

In the past I have used different fare classes which is essentially a work around for this issue (ie prem econ depart J return) as you have to book manually. If I book another star alliance airline through RBC platform do I still need to worry about this ( say J return on Lufthansa or Singapore Airlines) ? Missing out on AQM for one of these trips means no Elite status for me for the year so don't want to screw it up
Not sure how "adventurous" you want to be, but you could product switch your card to a Privilege or Business one, and use the points as a statement credit for 2CPP on J/F cash fares.
Old Apr 22, 2022, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by loganre17
Not sure how "adventurous" you want to be, but you could product switch your card to a Privilege or Business one, and use the points as a statement credit for 2CPP on J/F cash fares.
i have the privilege (and business already), hmm i didn't realize it was just a statement credit setup for J? thats easy, thanks
Old Apr 22, 2022, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by tdiddy23
i have the privilege (and business already), hmm i didn't realize it was just a statement credit setup for J? thats easy, thanks
Yep, park of the perk, you can use as a statement credit. I love it for cheap business fares. Usually get better value than AP, and you earn points + status

https://www.rbcrewards.com/#/faq#faq-section-travel

under "can rbc cardholders..."
Old Apr 22, 2022, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by loganre17
Yep, park of the perk, you can use as a statement credit. I love it for cheap business fares. Usually get better value than AP, and you earn points + status

https://www.rbcrewards.com/#/faq#faq-section-travel

under "can rbc cardholders..."
You can do a statement of credit booking with the Visa Infinite too, or Privilege. Bookings that are not available on the online tool (like Flex or Comfort, PY there and J back, and so on) are eligible.
Old Apr 22, 2022, 3:55 pm

You can do a statement of credit booking with the Visa Infinite too, or Privilege. Bookings that are not available on the online tool (like Flex or Comfort, PY there and J back, and so on) are eligible.
Correct, but you do not get 2 cents per point (which is what you want). That's a perk exclusively for Privilege and Business holders.
Old Apr 22, 2022, 3:56 pm

Programs: M-Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Aeroplan 50K, DragonPass, AMEX MR, NEXUS
They are so restrictive with statement credits now. I sometimes have to HUCA 2-3 times before getting an agent who says no problem to the request. Also, you can now book flex on the RBC Travel Rewards site!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.