Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

SQx/Aeroplan earning on tickets booked with RBC Avion points

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SQx/Aeroplan earning on tickets booked with RBC Avion points

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2019, 3:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Originally Posted by Lish
I redeemed my points for it so I'm not sure what you would classify as reward ticket then.
One must distinguish between the RBC Avion fixed points flight schedule (zone based) and the flexible travel redemptions (1 cent per point).

Perhaps, only the former are considered "reward flights"
Old Jan 7, 2019, 6:55 pm

Programs: Aeroplan/RBC Rewards/Hilton Honors/SPG-Marriot/Hyatt/Nexus
Originally Posted by MasterGeek
One must distinguish between the RBC Avion fixed points flight schedule (zone based) and the flexible travel redemptions (1 cent per point).

Perhaps, only the former are considered "reward flights"
Fair point. This was a fixed points redemption. I rarely booked outside of the fixed points fares unless I'm insistent on a particular itinerary.

trek604 will let us know what their results were. As my next flight with their rewards points won't be for some months.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 1:49 pm

Programs: M-Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Aeroplan 50K, DragonPass, AMEX MR, NEXUS
Booking Flex fare on Avion

Has anybody ever tried calling Avion to request that a case be opened so you can book a higher fare class? I know that Avion does not like it, but is it very difficult to do?

Ideally, I would like to book the flights on AC website and receive credit on my account for the value of the points.

Trying to make sure I will be able to use my eUpgrades on my next flights...
Old Jan 24, 2019, 2:02 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Will_YYT
Has anybody ever tried calling Avion to request that a case be opened so you can book a higher fare class? I know that Avion does not like it, but is it very difficult to do?

Ideally, I would like to book the flights on AC website and receive credit on my account for the value of the points.

Check the Avion thread in this forum. I have done this. You MUST call and get a reference number from RBC Avion. Then book your flights and call them back once it is posted on your account and they will issue a credit.
codfather likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by vernonc
Check the Avion thread in this forum. I have done this. You MUST call and get a reference number from RBC Avion. Then book your flights and call them back once it is posted on your account and they will issue a credit.
Hmmmm I wonder if it qualifies for AQD/AQM because it is booked on AC site. My unfortunate assumption is that Avion flags it in some manner so that it is still prevented from earning status miles.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 2:19 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat; Air Canada E75K; Westjet Platinum
There was a recent update from someone on that Avion thread that they got AQS AQM AQD for their last Avion reward flight.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by Sunny Day
There was a recent update from someone on that Avion thread that they got AQS AQM AQD for their last Avion reward flight.
That is interesting! I wonder if it is because the regular cheap fares that Avion uses were sold out for the flights that person was on perhaps? Do you have a link to the Avion thread, I am noticing a lot of different threads for Avion tickets!
Old Jan 24, 2019, 2:25 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat; Air Canada E75K; Westjet Platinum
That is interesting! I wonder if it is because the regular cheap fares that Avion uses were sold out for the flights that person was on perhaps? Do you have a link to the Avion thread, I am noticing a lot of different threads for Avion tickets!
YYCTraveller had posted a data point on Jan 3. Another person mentioned there could be a difference between fixed point redemption based on their chart vs. points converted to dollars redemption. I don't know for sure. But if you can get them to authorize you to book you own ticket and later credit you, that would be the safest way to getting AQS AQM AQD.
douglasr and codfather like this.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 11:17 pm

Programs: Altitude E50
It is possible when booking through the Orbitz engine on the RBC Rewards page to find some fine print on branded fare and booking class, at least from what I remember last time I did an online Avion booking a few months ago. I have NEVER had a problem with an online Avion booking not being credit for AQS/AQM, though obviously if you read through the thread there are many cases of this happening.

I now almost always call RBC Rewards to get a "statement credit" and book directly with AC. This allows me to book a right up to the maximum base fare, e.g. Flex and once even PY on a Europe redemption. Recently the phone agents have tried to tell me it's not possible - they relent when I say that I need different booking classes for outbound vs return. The only annoying thing is that you end up on the phone forever while they say their spiel about the statement credit process. But this is seemingly the only way to guarantee no problems with AQS/AQM.

douglasr likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 12:49 am

Booked a PY flight to europe, received my $1300, after following the steps outlined in this thread to make a phone call. They ran me through the ringer and tried to book my preferred routing for me, but they could not find it, so I got the spiel and some confirmation numbers, sent an email away, 4 days later, a $1300 statement credit showed up. Hopefully the miles credit to TK, fare classes look good (E,E,B,B,N,N) for the various segments.

It was an easy process and happy to earn 2%
Old Jan 25, 2019, 7:41 am

Hmmmm I wonder if it qualifies for AQD/AQM because it is booked on AC site. My unfortunate assumption is that Avion flags it in some manner so that it is still prevented from earning status miles.
I did get AQM and AQD, its a normal AC booking.
douglasr likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 5:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Originally Posted by vernonc
So one can book latitude, get the credit then cancel

Originally Posted by purelywasted
Booked a PY flight to europe, received my $1300, after following the steps outlined in this thread to make a phone call. They ran me through the ringer and tried to book my preferred routing for me, but they could not find it, so I got the spiel and some confirmation numbers, sent an email away, 4 days later, a $1300 statement credit showed up. Hopefully the miles credit to TK, fare classes look good (E,E,B,B,N,N) for the various segments.

It was an easy process and happy to earn 2%
Why is it 2% ? Avion earns 1% to 1.25%. Were you able to Avion harness the fixed points travel schedule while booking directly with airline ?

Last edited by MasterGeek; Jan 26, 2019 at 5:59 pm
Old Jan 27, 2019, 11:51 am

So one can book latitude, get the credit then cancel
I kind of got that impression, as I asked about changes to the flight once booked, and the agent told me it was between the airline and me, but my miles used were not refundable. So I don't know if there is any kind of check/balance on this from either RBC or AC. It would suck to cancel flight, and RBC claws back the credit without refunding the point.

Why is it 2% ? Avion earns 1% to 1.25%. Were you able to Avion harness the fixed points travel schedule while booking directly with airline ?
I should have said yield of 2% (probably a little higher with Avion bonus for travel, as I would not have spent $65k, for 65k points). It will be interesting to see my statement on mileage earning, if the $1300 is deducted from my spend or treated as a payment. If it is treated as a payments, I guess I would earn around 2%, as I spent $1400 for 2700 pts. Will have a look at that.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 12:47 pm

[QUOTE=MasterGeek;30704726]So one can book latitude, get the credit then cancel

You probably could though you will be hard pressed to find a Latitude fare for the price of fixed mileage credit that RBC Avion offers.
I prefer to book on AC myself and get the credit as it gives me control of the picket by booking on AC - I can upfare after, change within 24 hrs, etc.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 1:39 pm

Programs: AS MVP/AC75K/AM Gold/UA*S/SPG-Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Accor-FPC Gold/HHDiamond/Hyatt Exp
[QUOTE=vernonc;30707020]
I prefer to book on AC myself and get the credit as it gives me control of the picket by booking on AC - I can upfare after, change within 24 hrs, etc.
+1

Dealing with RBC Rewards Travel for any changes is a hassle depending on which level of agent you get.

Not sure why some FTers would bother debating strategy with the RBC agents as they are an outsourced TA that could care less, plus I have had some ridiculous things said by the agents over the phone, which makes me question their training.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.