Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Original Routing Credit (ORC) - getting credit when re-booking results in fewer SQM

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 23, 2023, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
What is ORC (Original Routing Credit)?
ORC is when you receive SQM, SQS, SQD, and Aeroplan points based on the itinerary you booked, rather than the itinerary you flew.

When am I eligible for ORC?
If, on day of departure, you encounter irregular operations, such that you are rebooked from flights that can be credited to Aeroplan (generally Star Alliance, but there are other airlines where this would be eligible) to flights that cannot be credited.

For example, if you are scheduled to fly YOW-EWR on AC, and EWR-CDG on UA, but due to a delay, AC or UA rebook you on AF YOW-CDG.

But what if I get re-booked on AC and/or Star Alliance partners and earn less than my original itinerary?
Generally, ORC is not awarded for re-bookings on AC/*A. On one occasion, an FTer reported receiving a makewhole for the reduced Aeroplan points after being re-booked on a different *A itinerary, but no SQx. If you're re-booked entirely on AC/*A, you should expect no ORC.

What does ORC give me?
​​​​​​
If AC, gives you ORC, they will generally give you missing SQM, SQD, and Aeroplan points. They have consistently not awarded SQS.

How do I request ORC?
After travel is completed, email [email protected] with as much of the following as you have:
1. Your name and Aeroplan number
2. A brief description of what happened
3. A copy of the original itinerary (the most recent confirmation of what you were supposed to fly), including the ticket number
4. A copy of flown itinerary (if you received one after the rebooking)
5. Copies of the original boarding passes for what you were supposed to fly
6. Copies of the boarding passes for the flights you actually flew

How do I maximize this?
After the rebooking, add a frequent flyer number to the new flights that is eligible for accumulation. For example, if you're rebooked onto AF, add a SkyTeam program number, so you can earn miles from that flight, in addition to receiving the ORC.

Where can I find AC's ORC policy?
You can't, because it's not published externally. ORC is not a stated benefit of Aeroplan, purely a goodwill gesture.
​​​​​​
Print Wikipost

Original Routing Credit (ORC) - getting credit when re-booking results in fewer SQM

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2022, 6:33 pm

Firstly, welcome to Flyertalk!

Yes you can request "Original Route Credit" from aeroplan, I think you have to call them.

You can *also* collect miles for the Delta flight on Delta or any Skyteam partner or some other Delta partners (including Westjet it seems?). Not sure which is the best choice.
tecate55 likes this.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Jul 22, 2022 at 12:12 am Reason: Edit to reflect thread move
Old Jul 21, 2022, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AyaKo Welcome to FT

ORC = Original routing credit.
You may be able to get DL ff miles as well
Old Jul 21, 2022, 6:36 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
SEA-YVR is about 110 miles. Is it even worth the time writing about it?
Old Sep 18, 2022, 4:19 am

Programs: AC *SE, Westjet PLAT, UA Prem, Alaska MVP, Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist
So I was booked on CX704 (in economy) - departing Bangkok (to HKG) at 7pm yesterday (Sat 17-Sep). Had a 10 hour layover in HKG and then I was supposed to connect to AC8 (HKG to YVR) departing HKG at 9:40am this morning (Sun 18-Sep). HKG to YVR (Lat fare) was upgraded to Business.

CX704 had a mechanical issue and after many delay announcements was finally cancelled at 1am. Cathay rebooked me on CX750 departing BKK at 11am today (in economy), arriving HKG at 3pm and then connecting to CX888 in Business (HKG to YVR) at 00:45am tomorrow (Mon 19-Sep).

While CX704 was showing delays, I also saw that AC8 was being delayed. At 1am this morning, when they cancelled CX704 and booked me on CX750 & CX888, I saw that AC8 had been delayed by 9 hours (new scheduled departure time was showing as 6:45pm) - which would give me ample time to connect to AC8 (from CX750). So I suggested this to the Cathay folks at BKK but they wouldn't change my flight to AC8 from CX888. They said they couldn't do it (doesn't make sense to me as that was my original itinerary).

Anyway, sitting in the Pier Lounge right now at HKG and doing some math. If I had gotten the SQM for this flight (along with other scheduled flights for the rest of year), I would hit 250K SQM (a banked year of SE). The SQD would bump me just over $45K (2 Priority Biz Rewards) and would get me approx 8K closer to 1mm.
Not worried about the SQD as I will just take another short flight to make that up but anyway to get the SQM & LQM for AC8 (that I didn't take, for no fault of mine)?
Old Sep 18, 2022, 4:41 am

Originally Posted by fijaircan
Anyway, sitting in the Pier Lounge right now at HKG and doing some math. If I had gotten the SQM for this flight (along with other scheduled flights for the rest of year), I would hit 250K SQM (a banked year of SE). The SQD would bump me just over $45K (2 Priority Biz Rewards) and would get me approx 8K closer to 1mm.
Not worried about the SQD as I will just take another short flight to make that up but anyway to get the SQM & LQM for AC8 (that I didn't take, for no fault of mine)?
I've never done this, but reading this forum has introduced me to the concept of ORC (I think original route credit?) which you might be able to get? And I think the system doesn't prevent you from double dipping and getting CX/OW points too (again, I've never done it, but have read about it). You can search this forum for ORC.
fijaircan likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2022, 4:56 am

Programs: AC *SE, Westjet PLAT, UA Prem, Alaska MVP, Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by vancouver25k
I've never done this, but reading this forum has introduced me to the concept of ORC (I think original route credit?) which you might be able to get? And I think the system doesn't prevent you from double dipping and getting CX/OW points too (again, I've never done it, but have read about it). You can search this forum for ORC.
Great - thank you for the tip!
Old Sep 18, 2022, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by fijaircan
Great - thank you for the tip!
On the positive, you scored a far superior experience!
fijaircan likes this.
Old Oct 4, 2022, 4:36 pm

Programs: UA Plat; Marriott Gold; SPG Gold; Hyatt Gold; Hertz Gold
Credit for reroute on WestJet

In the middle of the summer of '22 travel chaos, my family (2 adult, 1 youth, 1 dog) was scheduled to travel on AC YVR-YYZ direct. Three hours before our early morning flight, they cancelled the flight and rebooked us on YVR-YCG-YYC-YYZ (I'll save you the effort: Castlegar, BC). Needless to say, that was unacceptable with a live animal and the fresh stories of lost pets in the heat of summer. At the airport, the AC agent offered us several other multi-leg options, but the only direct option was several days later. Eventually I suggested she check WestJet availability, and she got us onto a direct flight leaving (and arriving) within an hour of our original schedule. Yay!

Am I entitled to Aeroplan credit for our original flight?
Thanks.
Old Oct 6, 2022, 6:03 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by silver_halide
Am I entitled to Aeroplan credit for our original flight?
Historically, yes, AC would provide "original routing credit" for this type of situation, giving you the SQx that you would have earned had you taken your original flights. You would need to e-mail [email protected] with the details, as described in this post.

Although it has been a while since anyone posted about actually receiving ORC, no one has reported not getting it, and it's something most airlines offer.
kalderlake likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2022, 8:22 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Historically, yes, AC would provide "original routing credit" for this type of situation, giving you the SQx that you would have earned had you taken your original flights. You would need to e-mail [email protected] with the details, as described in this post.

Although it has been a while since anyone posted about actually receiving ORC, no one has reported not getting it, and it's something most airlines offer.
I’m not entirely sure anyone is even monitoring that email anymore. I’ve sent numerous emails for ORC from a flight in April, none of which have been answered or credited.
Old Oct 6, 2022, 11:12 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by TheViperOne
I’m not entirely sure anyone is even monitoring that email anymore. I’ve sent numerous emails for ORC from a flight in April, none of which have been answered or credited.
The best bet, then, would probably be the customer relations web form.
Old Dec 27, 2022, 5:28 pm

Hi all - longtime stalker, first time poster!

Does anyone have experience in the "new" Aeroplan getting ORC for SQS? I booked a mileage run flight YUL-YYZ-BOS, flying early tomorrow morning,) and due to "ground handling constraints", the YUL-YYZ flight was just cancelled and I've been rebooked direct YUL-BOS. I need that 1 lost segment for my status. I'll only have 1 day, Dec 31, to try to book something to regain that if I can't get ORC for the segment booked as I'm booked from BOS on the 30th. Any advice is appreciated, thanks!
Old Dec 27, 2022, 5:57 pm

Programs: AC 50K (*G), Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by TenTenC
Hi all - longtime stalker, first time poster!

Does anyone have experience in the "new" Aeroplan getting ORC for SQS? I booked a mileage run flight YUL-YYZ-BOS, flying early tomorrow morning,) and due to "ground handling constraints", the YUL-YYZ flight was just cancelled and I've been rebooked direct YUL-BOS. I need that 1 lost segment for my status. I'll only have 1 day, Dec 31, to try to book something to regain that if I can't get ORC for the segment booked as I'm booked from BOS on the 30th. Any advice is appreciated, thanks!
I had a similar situation back in spring, did a segment run just before the double SQS/M/D promotion expired at the end of April. Flight was cancelled and lost a segment. Filled out customer relations form, was given 6000 aeroplan points for the cancellation and they passed on the ORC request to Aeroplan. Never heard back from aeroplan and was never given ORC. Didn’t pursue further as my travel picked up later in the year anyways. I would probably try to rebook something else, as it seems to be quite a hassle to get ORC now…
Old Dec 27, 2022, 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by YHZ_Flyer
I had a similar situation back in spring, did a segment run just before the double SQS/M/D promotion expired at the end of April. Flight was cancelled and lost a segment. Filled out customer relations form, was given 6000 aeroplan points for the cancellation and they passed on the ORC request to Aeroplan. Never heard back from aeroplan and was never given ORC. Didn’t pursue further as my travel picked up later in the year anyways. I would probably try to rebook something else, as it seems to be quite a hassle to get ORC now…
Thanks for that info! This is the worst time for this cancellation since this was my mileage run trip, but thank you - I'll see what I can scramble for that 1 day lol Cheers!
Old Dec 28, 2022, 8:48 am

Programs: AC 50K
Im in a somewhat similar situation, and due to cancellation i will be 2 SQS short due to cancelled flight.

Needed 5 SQS to maintain 50K for 2023. I had booked YYZ-YVR-PDX/PDX-YVR-YWG-YYZ on Dec 18-21 for a work trip. Ended up stuck in YVR for 3 night as every PDX flight i was switched to kept getting cancelled. Never made it to PDX and just hopped on my original return flights YVR-YWG-YYZ on Dec 21.

Called AC and they gave me an email address to send my details for status review. Any idea what response i can expect? Any other suggestions on what I should do to keep my 50k?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.