Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada to Launch Its Own Loyalty Program in 2020

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 11, 2017, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: yyznomad
Such that it is actually searchable text - one of the important changes to the Aeroplan program in 2019 for Super Elites:

New for Air Canada Altitude Super Elite 100K members: Complimentary changes and refunds
Beginning July 15, 2019, Air Canada Super Elite 100K members will no longer be charged a fee when they request a change to their Flight Reward booking. Additionally, these members will also no longer be charged a fee to refund their bookings. These fee waivers will apply to all bookings, including those made prior to the new policy coming into effect.

Read the below screenshots for the rest.

July 15 2019
"AEROPLAN FLIGHT REWARDS: NOW WITH MORE FLEXIBILITY AND PEACE-OF-MIND"

https://www.aeroplan.com/whats_new/news_articles.do?dl=WhatsNew_WEBUP31000285_2019_07 _15¤tLanguage=en

New chart with fees in this post

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31306687-post1334.html

Older news releases from 2017 below

Air Canada "What You Need to Know"

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...d-to-know.html

Air Canada Press Release May 11, 2017

http://aircanada.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=1135

Aeroplan News "To Our Valued Members" - May 11, 2017

https://www5.aeroplan.com/whats_new/...New_2017_05_09

Aeroplan & Air Canada update

We'd like to help our members understand the latest news about our partner, Air Canada.

https://www5.aeroplan.com/aircanada-...id=BAN30000311

From Aeroplan - UPDATE May 31, 2017

https://www5.aeroplan.com/aircanada-and-aeroplan-update.do

Aeroplan Saga Ends in a Long, Financial Detour:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/repo...ticle35080509/

August 11 2017

"We're on solid ground so your plans can take flight."

https://www.aeroplan.com/program-updates.do?currentLanguage=en&cid=008692096

"Five things you need to know about your miles"

https://www.aeroplan.com/five-things-about-your-miles.do?currentLanguage=en

September 19, 2017 - Investor Day Presentation

https://www.aeroplan.com/five-things-about-your-miles.do?currentLanguage=en

//
Print Wikipost

Air Canada to Launch Its Own Loyalty Program in 2020

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2019, 9:38 pm

Programs: Aeroplan; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum; Best Western Diamond
AC used to say they were cutting aeroplan in June 2020 and launching their own program. Now they don't mention June any more and just say the new program will launch in 2020. That can mean Dec. 31, 2020.

Can also mean they'll simply call aeroplan the new Attitude program.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 5:21 am

Originally Posted by yscleo
Can also mean they'll simply call aeroplan the new Attitude program.
Given the number of DYKWIAs at the MLLs I can understand why they would change it to Attitude

-James
Twickenham likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 5:49 am
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Now I can contact the US Department of Transport to complain about Air Canada not allowing fee-free cancellations/refunds for award flights booked within the last 24 hours.

I will be also able to complain about AC's dodgy and illegitimate collection of US airport taxes and government fees which should normally be waived for award flights.
nexusCFX likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by shadowspar
Reading this, I wonder if the program is going to be shifting more to a market-value type reward system -- X miles = Y travel dollars or something along those lines.
Not a doubt in my mind this will happen, at least on popular routes. Have a look at Delta dynamic pricing.
ou want YYZ-YVR? Sure that will be 97234 points in coach, one way.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MasterGeek

I will be also able to complain about AC's dodgy and illegitimate collection of US airport taxes and government fees which should normally be waived for award flights.
But now there will be nobody to sue over fake taxes

Originally Posted by shadowspar
Reading this, I wonder if the program is going to be shifting more to a market-value type reward system -- X miles = Y travel dollars or something along those lines.
Not a doubt in my mind this will happen, at least on popular routes. Have a look at Delta dynamic pricing.
You want YYZ-YVR? Sure that will be 97234 points in coach, one way.

Yes, it already works like that, but I expect it to become the norm rather than a (bad) option
Old Jan 11, 2019, 7:43 am

Originally Posted by rankourabu
You want YYZ-YVR? Sure that will be 97234 points in coach, one way.

Yes, it already works like that, but I expect it to become the norm rather than a (bad) option
Would you mind tone it down with the ÉrrorPlan hate?

As much as I enjoy ridiculing AC and their FFP this is unlikely to happen for a number of reasons, not the least of which being the amount of goodwill AC has lost with the fumbling of ÉrrorPlan over the years. I suspect not much will change, they'll waive the scam charges as before, for us UA loyalist who could never dream flying AC without E+ seating and CPUs. In addition, there are many bright spots in the current ÉrrorPlan program, most notably the ability to do 3 and 4 way flights for the cost of a roundtrip. There have also been many times where I had to make a last minute booking and UA wanted to charge me a close-in booking fee whereas ÉrrorPlan didn't and made my choice obvious! Also, last I checked UA doesn't offer CPUs on award bookings, but ÉrrorPlan does!

Can you think of one * airline that exclusively offers market based pricing the likes of which DL do? I can't! My guess is there is somewhere in the * rules which limits or forbids this practice since it diminishes the perceived value of the alliance in the eyes of loyalists like myself.

Safe Travels,

James
Old Jan 11, 2019, 8:01 am

Programs: AC 35k
I tend to agree with James the award chart will stay but likely with higher fees, higher redemption rates and less award seats. Calin is on record saying the 7% of seats is too high.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by j2simpso
Would you mind tone it down with the ÉrrorPlan hate?

As much as I enjoy ridiculing AC and their FFP this is unlikely to happen for a number of reasons, not the least of which being the amount of goodwill AC has lost with the fumbling of ÉrrorPlan over the years. I suspect not much will change, they'll waive the scam charges as before, for us UA loyalist who could never dream flying AC without E+ seating and CPUs. In addition, there are many bright spots in the current ÉrrorPlan program, most notably the ability to do 3 and 4 way flights for the cost of a roundtrip. There have also been many times where I had to make a last minute booking and UA wanted to charge me a close-in booking fee whereas ÉrrorPlan didn't and made my choice obvious! Also, last I checked UA doesn't offer CPUs on award bookings, but ÉrrorPlan does!

Can you think of one * airline that exclusively offers market based pricing the likes of which DL do? I can't! My guess is there is somewhere in the * rules which limits or forbids this practice since it diminishes the perceived value of the alliance in the eyes of loyalists like myself.

Safe Travels,

James
Aeroplan hate? This is (soon to be was) the best Canadian program for premium redemptions. With next to zero acquisition cost of miles in Canada - and a generous chart, I have enjoyed many a F-RTWs and J-RTWs thanks to Aeroplan, again at zero acquisition cost. Not to mention a couple spectacular pricing blunders in recent years (J for Y price, 30k J RTWs, etc, China pricing) I've spent close to a million Aeroplan points for memorable trips over the last 10 years, and helped others spent a few more million.

It will be sad to see Aeroplan go and replaced with whatever AC decides to enhance it to - which given ACs record, will be brutal. And what goodwill are you talking about? You think AC cares about goodwill with their customers? Show me an example of when they have been "goodwilling".

And wth are you talking about CPU (or any free upgrades) on AC award bookings? Since when? They dont even upgrade people on regular tickets.
Is this something again you just read about, or do you have experience with free upgrades on Aeroplan tickets?
The only airline that I enjoyed upgrades on award tickets was as an AA EXP.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by TOR27
Using your points for ancillaries would be new though, but many carriers already do this...makes sense, sell everything for points if people are willing to pay
If by ancillaries, you mean "carrier surcharge, other fees, and taxes", Aeroplan can already do this. I just redeemed for some flights a few days ago, and I was able to "pay" my fees & taxes with an atrocious number of points instead of cash, if I wanted. (On a regular, fixed-rate redemption.)
Old Jan 11, 2019, 2:43 pm

Programs: NZ*G, back of the bus UA, corner of the MLL AC.
NZ on their own flights, for one.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by 28isGreat
If by ancillaries, you mean "carrier surcharge, other fees, and taxes", Aeroplan can already do this. I just redeemed for some flights a few days ago, and I was able to "pay" my fees & taxes with an atrocious number of points instead of cash, if I wanted. (On a regular, fixed-rate redemption.)
Ancillaries refers to the extra services airlines offer like baggage, lounge access, preferred seats, buy on board meals, etc.

-James
TOR27 likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 3:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Well, AC could be far more creative with what they allow members to use their miles for. Easy use for upgrades like other airlines or, if only AC had the ability to offer this, an example of a premium or luxury item some may want

"You Can Redeem SkyMiles for Dom Pérignon"

https://thepointsguy.com/news/skymil...m-at-skyclubs/
Old Jan 11, 2019, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by 24left
Well, AC could be far more creative with what they allow members to use their miles for. Easy use for upgrades like other airlines or, if only AC had the ability to offer this, an example of a premium or luxury item some may want

It still surprised me that AC doesn't allow you to use miles to upgrade from any fare class as UA does. Why can't a loyalist like me upgrade to J from a k fare?

As for the Aeroplan catalog it's a joke. They haven't updated the merch there for quite some time and the items they got aren't that great. Wanna spend a few thousand AeroPesos for a Samsonite travel adaptor? Didn't think so!

As for offering Dom in the catalog I highly doubt it. We live in a nanny state where cross province shipping of booze is considered a crime. Meanwhile in the UK I can order a bottle of Dom for $200 from Amazon and have it delivered next day. Heck if I bundle it with a 24 of Henicken I'll even get a discount. Go figure!

I await to see what happens to Canadian North and First Air redemptions to the territories as it is arguably the best bang for your buck that you'll get from the program (recent reports suggest scam charges have been added).

Safe Travels,

James
Old Jan 11, 2019, 3:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..

It still surprised me that AC doesn't allow you to use miles to upgrade from any fare class as UA does. Why can't a loyalist like me upgrade to J from a k fare?

As for the Aeroplan catalog it's a joke. They haven't updated the merch there for quite some time and the items they got aren't that great. Wanna spend a few thousand AeroPesos for a Samsonite travel adaptor? Didn't think so!

As for offering Dom in the catalog I highly doubt it. We live in a nanny state where cross province shipping of booze is considered a crime. Meanwhile in the UK I can order a bottle of Dom for $200 from Amazon and have it delivered next day. Heck if I bundle it with a 24 of Henicken I'll even get a discount. Go figure!

Click the link I posted. None of it had to do with any shopping catalogue. You could be in the DL SkyClub and use your miles to order Dom.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 3:55 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by 24left

That is really cool.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.