Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada to Launch Its Own Loyalty Program in 2020

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 11, 2017, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: yyznomad
Such that it is actually searchable text - one of the important changes to the Aeroplan program in 2019 for Super Elites:

New for Air Canada Altitude Super Elite 100K members: Complimentary changes and refunds
Beginning July 15, 2019, Air Canada Super Elite 100K members will no longer be charged a fee when they request a change to their Flight Reward booking. Additionally, these members will also no longer be charged a fee to refund their bookings. These fee waivers will apply to all bookings, including those made prior to the new policy coming into effect.

Read the below screenshots for the rest.

July 15 2019
"AEROPLAN FLIGHT REWARDS: NOW WITH MORE FLEXIBILITY AND PEACE-OF-MIND"

https://www.aeroplan.com/whats_new/news_articles.do?dl=WhatsNew_WEBUP31000285_2019_07 _15¤tLanguage=en

New chart with fees in this post

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31306687-post1334.html

Older news releases from 2017 below

Air Canada "What You Need to Know"

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...d-to-know.html

Air Canada Press Release May 11, 2017

http://aircanada.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=1135

Aeroplan News "To Our Valued Members" - May 11, 2017

https://www5.aeroplan.com/whats_new/...New_2017_05_09

Aeroplan & Air Canada update

We'd like to help our members understand the latest news about our partner, Air Canada.

https://www5.aeroplan.com/aircanada-...id=BAN30000311

From Aeroplan - UPDATE May 31, 2017

https://www5.aeroplan.com/aircanada-and-aeroplan-update.do

Aeroplan Saga Ends in a Long, Financial Detour:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/repo...ticle35080509/

August 11 2017

"We're on solid ground so your plans can take flight."

https://www.aeroplan.com/program-updates.do?currentLanguage=en&cid=008692096

"Five things you need to know about your miles"

https://www.aeroplan.com/five-things-about-your-miles.do?currentLanguage=en

September 19, 2017 - Investor Day Presentation

https://www.aeroplan.com/five-things-about-your-miles.do?currentLanguage=en

//
Print Wikipost

Air Canada to Launch Its Own Loyalty Program in 2020

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2018, 8:53 pm

Programs: AC 100K SE (*G), Marriott P, SPG G, Hilton D
Originally Posted by rehoult
I can't see this helping their stock price. They just made crystal clear that they are only with AP due to AC, and intend to leave with them. That's one issuer gone, only two more to go. So while they are trying to spin this as good, the PR could have just as easily said, "AmEx announces intent to leave AP on June 29, 2020".
I agree, I think anyone can see this isn't good for Aeroplan.
Old May 14, 2018, 9:23 pm
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
Originally Posted by InTheAirGuy
So the burning question is : what to do for a post June 29/2020 strategy?
Wait and see what the future holds (and stay tuned to FlyerTalk)

Adapting to a new reality likely brings even more opportunities than we are now imagining (especially for us Million/MultiMillion Milers)^
Old May 14, 2018, 9:51 pm

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
I can't see this helping their stock price. They just made crystal clear that they are only with AP due to AC, and intend to leave with them. That's one issuer gone, only two more to go. So while they are trying to spin this as good, the PR could have just as easily said, "AmEx announces intent to leave AP on June 29, 2020".
Does it not also create some uncertainty as to the benefit of AE credit cards?
Old May 14, 2018, 9:53 pm

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by BlondeBomber
Wait and see what the future holds (and stay tuned to FlyerTalk)

Adapting to a new reality likely brings even more opportunities than we are now imagining (especially for us Million/MultiMillion Milers)^
It will be interesting to see how this unfolds.
Old May 14, 2018, 10:27 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM, Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Hz 5*
I should burn all my MR points. Glad I have until 2020.

Anyone want to join for some F mini rtws?
canadiancow likes this.
Old May 14, 2018, 10:32 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Originally Posted by Nitehawk
I should burn all my MR points. Glad I have until 2020.

Anyone want to join for some F mini rtws?
Gladly, but the lack of premium class availability on the asian routes is frustrating. I am trying 7-8 months in advance on off peak days.
I have decided that I will do my utmost not to use all my AC and DL mileage in 2019 & 2020.

Last edited by Transpacificflyer; May 15, 2018 at 5:06 pm Reason: corrected not to read to
Old May 14, 2018, 10:41 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM, Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Hz 5*
I'm a last minute kinda guy. T-14 days is a good timeframe for booking sonetsome. Even for my business travel today I booked yesterday, then changed my flight again before departure .
Old May 15, 2018, 5:58 am

Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
Gladly, but the lack of premium class availability on the asian routes is frustrating. I am trying 7-8 months in advance on off peak days.
I have decided that I will do my utmost not use all my AC and DL mileage in 2019 & 2020.
I want to book premium class for a trip to Italy in 2019, and that's frustrating too......I'm expecting that will be my last Aeroplan use, if I can actually use them.
Old May 15, 2018, 7:53 am

Programs: E35K, FPC Platinum
As 2020 approaches do you think AE/AC will change redemption values as more people try to burn miles?
Old May 15, 2018, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by YEG_SE4Life
Does it not also create some uncertainty as to the benefit of AE credit cards?
I can definitely see that view, but I took from it that they will have a deal with AC. If they weren't going to, why bother cancelling with AP?

And if they're going to have the new AC program as a partner, than I'm less worried about my MR balance.
Old May 15, 2018, 9:32 am

I can definitely see that view, but I took from it that they will have a deal with AC. If they weren't going to, why bother cancelling with AP?

And if they're going to have the new AC program as a partner, than I'm less worried about my MR balance.
I suppose it will come down to what happens to the AE points earned between now and June 2020. I think that is the main issue with the separation, not just with credit cards, but also for those who fly with AC for the next 2 years.

I am interested in knowing how, since all of my AE miles are accumulated by flying AC, AC will ensure that those miles will still have value after mid 2020. I do get that AC shouldn't be as concerned about miles that are accumulated by folks using an AE credit card. But those miles earned by flying hundreds of thousands of miles on their metal, should be a different story.

I am avoiding speculation, though. Just saying that I am interested in seeing how it will be handled.
Old May 15, 2018, 5:09 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Originally Posted by YEG_SE4Life
I suppose it will come down to what happens to the AE points earned between now and June 2020. I think that is the main issue with the separation, not just with credit cards, but also for those who fly with AC for the next 2 years.

those miles earned by flying hundreds of thousands of miles on their metal, should be a different story.
Forgive the edit, but those are so very key and explains clearly why I will not be buying any AC airfares after this year unless I have some assurances I will not be screwed over.
Old May 16, 2018, 1:20 am

Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
Forgive the edit, but those are so very key and explains clearly why I will not be buying any AC airfares after this year unless I have some assurances I will not be screwed over.
Yeah if we see a consumer-led recession in the next couple years due to housing collapsing, will AC prefer to fly their planes around empty, or keep the relationship with AP and at least get Tango and P-fare-like revenue for their seats?

Do they understand that no matter how hard they try, the general public will always associate Aeroplan with AC, and thus, the amount of damage done to AC's brand equity will be significant if they cut off the relationship?

Maybe the 'end game' is simply for AC to re-absorb AP. Think Aimia's shareholders would take a half billion in AC stock for the company?
Old May 16, 2018, 1:42 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by pitz
Yeah if we see a consumer-led recession in the next couple years due to housing collapsing, will AC prefer to fly their planes around empty, or keep the relationship with AP and at least get Tango and P-fare-like revenue for their seats?
Of course they're going to keep a relationship with Aeroplan, recession or not, just like the relationships they have with Avion or Air Miles. Aeroplan has already announced that they're going to transition to that model of flight bookings.

Do they understand that no matter how hard they try, the general public will always associate Aeroplan with AC, and thus, the amount of damage done to AC's brand equity will be significant if they cut off the relationship?
As long as AC gives some sort of reasonable deal to people who've racked up miles mainly by flying, like YEG_SE4Life, those people aren't going to care much about the transition. As for FOTSGs and their association with AC, AC doesn't care very much what they think. Those people are heavily motivated by price anyway and will either not care or will quickly get over the transition.

Maybe the 'end game' is simply for AC to re-absorb AP. Think Aimia's shareholders would take a half billion in AC stock for the company?
No. AC is building something better than Aeroplan, from their perspective. No value in acquiring all of Aeroplan's legacy contracts, liabilities, employees, etc.
DrunkCargo likes this.
Old May 16, 2018, 2:45 am

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
As long as AC gives some sort of reasonable deal to people who've racked up miles mainly by flying, like YEG_SE4Life, those people aren't going to care much about the transition. As for FOTSGs and their association with AC, AC doesn't care very much what they think. Those people are heavily motivated by price anyway and will either not care or will quickly get over the transition.
You really think that people who honestly believe that they have 5, 10, whatever number of "free" roundtrips coming to them will ever forgive AC if they finagle their way out of being part of AP, and those roundtrips are reduced to something significantly less than 4, 8, etc?

I just don't buy it. ACE/AC got cheap financing by spinning AP off in the mid 2000s. The owners of AP only minimally benefitted and the implied return on their investment was very low, if not negative for the cumulative entire existence of AP/Aimia since the spin-off. AC may have the benefit of arrogance with load factors high, but the airline industry is notoriously cyclical, and the other side of the cycle looks extremely ugly and appears to be increasingly upon us going forward.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.